The What's Wrong With Russell Wilson Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The RT was a revolving door today. The oline has not allowed Wilson to get comfortable. As a result, he's playing poorly. But he's not making mistakes. And that's the biggest thing. He's making big plays occasionally, and that is also a big thing.

So two more games of great D and next week we face a good Defense so it will be another tight battle. Then the Super Bowl he should face a much weaker defense than he has for weeks. At that point, I expect our offense to do much better.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Russell Wilson plays very conservatively and doesn't throw unless he feels really, really good about it. That's frustrating. It leaves the other team hanging around.

It's also responsible for our 13-3 record. Turnovers are statistically ten times more impactful than a sack or incompletion. Pete will take those any time over an interception and I'll bet he's overall pretty happy that Wilson ends up scrambling quite a bit. It's kept us in games.

That said, Wilson's short-to-intermediate accuracy has taken a serious step back. He's also gotten jittery in the pocket the last month, much more so than earlier in the year. Even in the first Saints game, he looked calm and relaxed in the pocket. His slump is responsible for a lot of three-and-outs. We relied on the run today and it worked, but Wilson only had a couple of big plays despite good pass protection. I hope he improves.

I'm not even going to touch the Bevell issue. You guys were screaming for slants and crosses back in October, and now that they're here and Wilson misses them, you keep screaming at Bevell. Get together and agree on your criticisms before you expect me to take them seriously.

paramedic586

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2e5zsvbo said:
SoHo9erFan":2e5zsvbo said:
Smelly McUgly":2e5zsvbo said:
Your concern trolling sucks, Niners fan. I hope the Panthers take care of business so we don't have you guys acting disingenuous around here anymore. Well, for at least a week.

http://mynorthwest.com/422/2145710/Bust ... ell-Wilson
it seems like defenses have adjusted since that article is written. and just because RW hasn't had many passes batted down, doesn't prove a whole lot. RW doesn't pull the trigger as much as other QBs, and escapes the pocket on the regular. If he tried to stand tall in the pocket as much as Luck, RW would have a lot higher number of passes batted down.

I'm not trying to troll. i'm just going off of what I have seen from RW this past month. It seems like defenses know how to keep him in check, and RW hasn't been able to circumvent adjustments
He looked very Krappernick today, not trolling, just sayin'! 8)

Yes he looked very kaepernick at the beginning of the season. Kaepernick now? Not so much.

Two problems with Wilson. Both are not his fault either. One is lacking his go to targets. The second is the coaching staff did not force him to learn to throw from the pocket on a regular basis. (Hence everyone kaepernick digs) hopefully the coaches will fix that issue durring the off season.

hawk45

Reaction score
I agree about the slants and crosses being fine. I thought we had the better game plan in the first half by far, passing was just not happening, and I thought the Saints hurt themselves at times by going away from the run when it was really working.

I dislike the wide runs with Lynch and the empty backfield sets in the red zone but overall I didn't hate Bevell. I think the conservative game plan was deliberate in the 2nd half, and until they scored and pulled within 8 I thought it was okay to roll with that the way the game was playing out.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
problems
1.He's too short.
2.He's too short.
3.He's too short.

Zone read or no we need to stop the delayed hand off bullshit, you never see a successful run in the NFL when it takes the RB 5 seconds to get to the line. Drives me nuts, and RW is missing wide open wide receivers often.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
We need to stop immediately laying reactionary blame on the OL, who played really well today. RW was bailing way too early out of the pocket and flat out missed throws and open reads. We all love RW, but he's barely been a competent NFL QB lately. Average QB play today would have resulted in a huge margin of victory. It's not all his fault, but he needs to be better. It's bordering on unacceptable, for the passing game in it's entirety.

Disclaimer: I want to recognize that today was an awful day to pass. Problem is, the poor play has been a near 2 month trend. I'm getting seriously concerned that this is more than a "hiccup" or "slump".

HawkGANG

Reaction score
IrishNW said:
Bad accuracy, wobbly thrown balls, bad decisions, Hesitant, bad footwork, bails from the pocket early, missing open receivers. This is what I appear to be seeing from Wilson. It's like hes scared to death to throw the ball. Remember that screen we setup to Harvin early in the game. Why did he pull that down and run with it? It looked like Harvin could have taken that to the house with his speed. I also don't think the "read options" plays are actually option plays at all and that's why he never keeps them.[/quote

This, that screen RW kept instead of throwing to Harvin was just plain bad. Harvin would of at least gotten the first if not taken it to the house on that play.

aawolf

Reaction score
He doesn't seem as comfortable or accurate these days. I'm thinking he's injured. I've never seen him play like this. I can't blame the online this game. Maybe the receivers, but they were blanketed a lot of the time. I saw several throws behind receivers today. He needs to keep it on that read option at least a few times.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
I agree that RW deserves some criticism, however I have to wonder how much 40 mph winds and a driving rain impacted the accuracy as well.

Brees looked like dog doo throwing the ball until late in the 3rd quarter as well.

The hesitancy and decision making are valid concerns though.

paramedic586

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":22wzwsgx said:
problems
1.He's too short.
2.He's too short.
3.He's too short.

Zone read or no we need to stop the delayed hand off bullshit, you never see a successful run in the NFL when it takes the RB 5 seconds to get to the line. Drives me nuts, and RW is missing wide open wide receivers often.

Lynch was very successful running the ball today. The read option is a very important tool to the success of your offense. Freezes the defense, keeps a spy on Wilson, and forces a lot of zone coverage schemes.

bandiger

Reaction score
He's playing too conservatively but hey at least he didn't throw ints like Dalton.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":2s86r1mi said:
Smelly McUgly":2s86r1mi said:
Your concern trolling sucks, Niners fan. I hope the Panthers take care of business so we don't have you guys acting disingenuous around here anymore. Well, for at least a week.

http://mynorthwest.com/422/2145710/Bust ... ell-Wilson
it seems like defenses have adjusted since that article is written. and just because RW hasn't had many passes batted down, doesn't prove a whole lot. RW doesn't pull the trigger as much as other QBs, and escapes the pocket on the regular. If he tried to stand tall in the pocket as much as Luck, RW would have a lot higher number of passes batted down.

I'm not trying to troll. i'm just going off of what I have seen from RW this past month. It seems like defenses know how to keep him in check, and RW hasn't been able to circumvent adjustments
This is legitimate. The stats say that Wilson only throws down the seam 14% of the time vs a league average of 24%. Russell focuses on throwing outside of the DL to the perimeter / sidelines, which would explain why a) he has few passes batted down and b) why receptions by tight ends are pretty rare. Whether teams have caught up to this and are better defending the edges of the field is worth researching. Is it possible that Wilson's sight lines are indeed a weakness that D. coordinators have finally started exploiting?

Russ has also not been the same since Sidney Rice went out. He may not have been an elite player but defenses showed Rice respect. He was a big target for Wilson with a wide catch radius that the other receivers can't offer. I'm sure a big wideout is a top priority for Schneider next year.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Ever since the first Saints game (and the MVP chatter) he has been looking worse and worse. The WRs are giving him little help though. I don't know what to make of it. His short throw accuracy is pathetic!

aawolf

Reaction score
Yeah, the good news is he doesn't try to force anything ala Dalton. The bad news is that watching Brady, he should be able to get it to receivers in tight windows a little better. I saw several drops too, especially on slants on third down. We gotta convert those suckers.

ariel9302

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1izddy2g said:
I agree that RW deserves some criticism, however I have to wonder how much 40 mph winds and a driving rain impacted the accuracy as well.

Brees looked like dog doo throwing the ball until late in the 3rd quarter as well.

The hesitancy and decision making are valid concerns though.

disagree. brees came in to form at the onset of the 3rd qtr, russ did not look good all day long. he is not playing relaxed for as long as i can remember, he honestly is reminding me of matt hasselbeck during the "i'm THE prototypical rhythm quarterback and i am out of rhythm" days.

Rocket

Reaction score
If y'all have this DVR'd, go look at Russ just before the anthem. Lil' Russ's face looked like a deer in the headlights.
Having said that, I don't hang the O's performance all on him.

If anyone can grab 10 or 15 sec's of this and post it, it'd be great.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":135lb7y4 said:
Russell Wilson plays very conservatively and doesn't throw unless he feels really, really good about it. That's frustrating. It leaves the other team hanging around.

It's also responsible for our 13-3 record. Turnovers are statistically ten times more impactful than a sack or incompletion. Pete will take those any time over an interception and I'll bet he's overall pretty happy that Wilson ends up scrambling quite a bit. It's kept us in games.

That said, Wilson's short-to-intermediate accuracy has taken a serious step back. He's also gotten jittery in the pocket the last month, much more so than earlier in the year. Even in the first Saints game, he looked calm and relaxed in the pocket. His slump is responsible for a lot of three-and-outs. We relied on the run today and it worked, but Wilson only had a couple of big plays despite good pass protection. I hope he improves.

I'm not even going to touch the Bevell issue. You guys were screaming for slants and crosses back in October, and now that they're here and Wilson misses them, you keep screaming at Bevell. Get together and agree on your criticisms before you expect me to take them seriously.

Spot on Montana.

jewhawk

Reaction score
Our offense ran 42 plays on 1st and 2nd downs. Only nine of those were passing attempts, and two of those passing attempts were screens. There were also two QB scrambles and two sacks (for 0 and -1 yards). You can't hand the ball off on 29 of 42 plays on 1st and 2nd downs and expect your QB to be able to get into any kind of rhythm.

Status
Not open for further replies.