"There's no communication right now."

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Rob12":3s69oqri said:
IrishNW":3s69oqri said:
I think this has more to do with the rift in the LOB Kam Chancellor caused with his holdout.

I definitely think that's still playing a part.
This^

olyfan63

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":c7uwrpd2 said:
Does Richard have an authoritative voice in the defensive room? From what I've seen he's more of a player's coach in the model of Pete himself. Who is the enforcer on the coaching staff? Who do the players both fear and respect? Quinn and Norton were that guy. Who is it now? Cable? Pete is a player's coach, and he plays that role well. He needs a hardass as a counterweight, though. I don't know if I see appropriate coaching personnel on the roster at this point.

Hardass? I hear Mike Singletary is available. And Bobby Knight may be available for a consulting gig.

There are a lot of coaching styles that are effective.
Back in the day, I had a lot of hardass IDIOTS that copied Vince Lombardi's abusive *syntax* and had none of his *substance*. Awful, losing coaches. I had some good coaches too, some hardass, some easygoing, yet no less demanding in their own way.

Pete uses JOHN WOODEN as a model, not BOBBY KNIGHT. Somewhere in between would be Bill Walsh, another one of Pete's key models.

I'll go with you that it's probably good to have a range of coaching styles on staff to connect with different guys. Ken Norton Jr. brought a specific syntax, but he also had the substance. Singletary had the hardass syntax you mention but was a flipping idiot as a coach. We can always hope the 49ers hire him back.

Now if you want a local example of a REALLY different, highly successful football coach, LOCAL (Puget Sound area), with multiple national championships to his name, I give you.... FROSTY WESTERING!! Read more about Frosty here...

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/44702352/

In any case, I think we are just seeing some of Kris Richard's growing pains as a DC. I bet he fixes all such communication issues PRONTO, like by Thursday.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Between the new personnel in the secondary and the coaching changes, you'd expect there to be a bit of time for the group to gel. Kam's holdout added a wrench to that by removing him from the valuable time that the secondary needed to learn together.

I suspect that it's less resentment over the holdout than the simple fact that they're behind the curve on playing with the same instinct that they had before. Everyone being on the same page allows this defense to play hard and fast. They're playing hard, but it looks disjointed as they aren't coordinating well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
But their is still no excuse for not covering their only weapon on offense. Olsen was wide open, ridiculous.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
marko358":3co4e8cw said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/656598092410523648[/tweet]
Hey coach, stay off Twitter unless you accept full responsibility for ALL of the shitty defense played...not just the end of the game. How many 80 yard drives did your "defense" give up? Pathetic. Show us something this week, or GTFO.

Perhaps Pete should quit patting himself on the back for building a coaching tree...and talk some of the vital members of his staff into staying and building a potential dynasty. Goddamn joke.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Sherman's been beat a lot. The receivers have been 3 steps ahead. When your interception machine is as far behind as browner is these days, lots of passes that were lost in the past are how in high contention

Mojambo

Reaction score
RockinHawks":1v2wq7sg said:
marko358":1v2wq7sg said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/656598092410523648[/tweet]
Hey coach, stay off Twitter unless you accept full responsibility for ALL of the shitty defense played...not just the end of the game. How many 80 yard drives did your "defense" give up? Pathetic. Show us something this week, or GTFO.

Perhaps Pete should quit patting himself on the back for building a coaching tree...and talk some of the vital members of his staff into staying and building a potential dynasty. Goddamn joke.

Read better. Coach isn't ON Twitter. Aaron Levine is.

Geez.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":wnl7b3ux said:
These situations always make me a little sad. Kris Richard has and will continue to fail as an NFL DC, but a change won't be made midseason. I expect more of the same until the necessary changes are made. The feeling of inevitability sucks.
His presser aren't very confidence inspiring. Haven't really heard anything intelligent or even thoughtful come from his mouth. Just a bunch of ready-made cliches. His tough guy talk doesn't hide the deer-in-the-headlights stare, and the strain in his voice increase with each PC. Personally, I think he has a Mike Singletary type of mentality and is in way over his head. I'd much rather have Seto in charge.

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1uko1ao4 said:
CodeWarrior":1uko1ao4 said:
These situations always make me a little sad. Kris Richard has and will continue to fail as an NFL DC, but a change won't be made midseason. I expect more of the same until the necessary changes are made. The feeling of inevitability sucks.
His presser aren't very confidence inspiring. Haven't really heard anything intelligent or even thoughtful come from his mouth. Just a bunch of ready-made cliches. His tough guy talk doesn't hide the deer-in-the-headlights stare, and the strain in his voice increase with each PC. Personally, I think he has a Mike Singletary type of mentality and is in way over his head. I'd much rather have Seto in charge.

Pete would never have a pure Mike Singletary type on his staff, and even if he did, such an approach would never rise to a position that required the ability to teach and influence a range of personalities. Singletary seems to attack players who don't display the same external syntax as him. The message is, "I'm virtuous and perfect, the idiot losers I'm coaching suck".

Bevell is the most Singletary-like, in his own way. Throwing Lockette under the bus after SB XLIX was classic douchebag "I'm perfect, my scheme was perfect, an idiot player not giving full effort screwed it up".

I don't think Pete attaches a great deal of significance to sparkling press conference performances at this stage of Richard's DC career. He does however, absolutely expect Richard to scheme well and teach well and get players on the same page.

How long a rope did Pete need in Seattle to get his program rolling? IIRC, there were two 7-9 seasons starting the PC era in Seattle.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I'll bump this partially because it's annoying, and partially because I believe Richard is and will continue to flounder. In over his head.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":28022nya said:
I'll bump this partially because it's annoying, and partially because I believe Richard is and will continue to flounder. In over his head.

You seem pretty confident in your knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes.

Not saying you're wrong, but it's been pretty early to judge. Especially since a lot of the players' own mistakes led to the Arizona loss.

Rocket

Reaction score
Rob12":1bjiypwt said:
IrishNW":1bjiypwt said:
I think this has more to do with the rift in the LOB Kam Chancellor caused with his holdout.
From the very recent interviews, Earl has no fire in his eyes, no excitement, no smile and no swagger.
Might have been the shoulder, might have been Kam, might have been the record... who knows.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Rocket":1l8xd6gk said:
Rob12":1l8xd6gk said:
IrishNW":1l8xd6gk said:
From the very recent interviews, Earl has no fire in his eyes, no excitement, no smile and no swagger.
Might have been the shoulder, might have been Kam, might have been the record... who knows.

You shouldn't be so quick to rule out IBS.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":35u8s56y said:
CodeWarrior":35u8s56y said:

You seem pretty confident in your knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes.

Not saying you're wrong, but it's been pretty early to judge. Especially since a lot of the players' own mistakes led to the Arizona loss.

I'm not claiming to know what's going on behind the scenes and my judgement of Richard doesn't rely on it. My conclusion is based upon what I see on the field. We've watched this defense under three different coordinators now. Half time adjustments used to be our bread and butter. Remember? We were undoubtedly a second half team. No half time deficit seemed insurmountable. Give us a lead in the fourth quarter? Forget about it. We were as good as gold.

Why? Bradley and Quinn were tacticians. They were able to alter the game plan on the fly, making the adjustments necessary to bury opponents down the closing stretch. Richard hasn't done the same. The fact that this defense continues to get torched by TEs and especially the RZ TE seam route in which Kam passes coverage to Earl is laughable. Adjust the damn zone, or shade Earl to the strong side! I'm no NFL DC, but I see reasonable fixes out there that we just aren't making.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Here's the thing though -- there's not one issue that is dogging this team. It's a collection of issues. To me it's too easy to blame Richard, Bevell, Russell Wilson, Pete, the O-line. It's so many things contributing to hurt the team.

And despite all of that, they've been in every single game. Every damn one. They could've beaten Arizona, Green Bay, St. Louis, Cincy, Carolina.

So rather than assume anyone needs to be fired or is out of their depth -- perhaps it's just a case of all of these different factors smoothing out so the Seahawks aren't shooting themselves in the foot? If they play clean football the rest of the way they could win every game. It might not happen in 2015, but it could next year. The margins with this team have always been very, very close. Take the Arizona game. Bobby doesn't shove Brown and get flagged on 3rd down -- Seattle probably wins the game. If that tipped Sherman pass is caught for an INT instead of Brown snagging it away -- they probably win. And it's the defense that wins it for you.

The issue, if anything, is they've been too boom or bust. Brilliant one minute, hopeless the next. The fact they've shown brilliance, however, suggests it's still in there. They just need to be cleaner and not give up so many bonehead plays.

Latest posts