They need some statement victories in the coming weeks.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mr7znri6 said:
SoulfishHawk":mr7znri6 said:
I have never understood the fascination with HOW a team wins the game. 1 point, 30 points, who cares? Not the BCS, just get that Dub :2thumbs:
But they "almost lost" or but they didn't do this, or didn't do that, or they should have blown them out, blah blah blah.

In the win column, no it doesn't matter.

But for some intangibles, winning comfortably can make a difference.

- being ahead by 2-3 TD's in the 4th quarter means you can rest some starters
- gaining confidence when you really thump a team
- big road wins
- individual players gaining confidence by having big games

Stuff like this can make a difference as the season goes along.

Just to play devil's advocate...

Winning by way of blowouts throughout a season can make the team soft when they hit playoffs. The reason being they never got punched in the mouth, or had to scrape and grind to come out on top.

If a team rarely faces adversity, who knows how they'll react when they reach the playoffs and inevitably face a team that can go toe-to-toe.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1ztj5b97 said:

Winning by way of blowouts throughout a season can make the team soft when they hit playoffs. The reason being they never got punched in the mouth, or had to scrape and grind to come out on top.

If a team rarely faces adversity, who knows how they'll react when they reach the playoffs and inevitably face a team that can go toe-to-toe.
I disagree on this. I think teams get soft when they start to think they're awesome by blowing out mediocre teams. If you can do that against GOOD teams, bit of a different story. Battling worthy opponents regardless of the outcome improves your own team.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3o93ajcb said:
JGfromtheNW":3o93ajcb said:

I disagree on this. I think teams get soft when they start to think they're awesome by blowing out mediocre teams. If you can do that against GOOD teams, bit of a different story. Battling worthy opponents regardless of the outcome improves your own team.

It's the same effect. If you blowout teams, whether they're good or bad, but then you have an off day and the opponent sticks with you, you'll need to grind out the win.

I don't believe that blowing out a good opponent actually improves your team, as there was apparently no competition to improve from, other than in the realm of confidence. Each game is unique due to matchups and even if you blow out every quality team you face throughout a season, you can still lay an egg or have injuries in the post-season and none of the blowouts mean jack-diddly.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
The Atlanta Falcons, and the Carolina Panthers before them used to blow teams out before making the Super Bowl. So did the Broncos before they faced us in the Super Bowl. So did the Patriots before they met the Giants in the Super Bowl

I can go on and on, quoting different examples. BOTH times we made the Super Bowl we didn't make a habit of blowing teams out. Everyone loves the new guy in town, the hot new "hungry" team blowing teams out. But those teams rarely win championships. The Ravens during their SB run, Seahawks during our SB runs, the Broncos, the Patriots. Those are battle tested, championship teams who know how to win football games

No offense, but some here need to tell the difference between what's "hot" and new, versus what's reliable and quality tested.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3a5aqwap said:
Statement games come when a team is ascending, hungry, and ready to win a championship.

When they are GOOD.

This Seahawks team has to scrap and scrape just to win a road game against a sub .500 opponent without it's starting RB and QB -- and loses at home to a sub .500 team missing half it's starting O line.

If you're actually listening, those are your statement games -- these last two weeks.

What is being stated is that we aren't that good, in fact this Seahawk team is soft to the point that it is starting to feel like those latter year Holmgren hawks.

And we play several teams in the next few weeks -- the Rams, the Jaguars, the Eagles, and the Cowboys, who are going to pound the living hell out of this iteration of the Seahawks...all of those teams are younger, hungrier, and looking to make those "statements" you're talking about. My guess is we either go 1-3 or 0-4 against those teams, which makes Falcons, Cardinals, and 49ers all "must win" games.

11-5 is our absolute best case scenario right now... with 10-6 a decent possibility, but 9-7 the more likely....

And if you watched the way the Falcons secondary is playing right now, and the way they beat the living hell out of the Cowboy WR's this week -- you'd be really worried for the health of Baldwin, Richardson, and Lockett. I'd be surprised if all three make it out of next week's game without a major injury. It will be a dogfight, and if we lose that, we can probably kiss the playoffs goodbye.

I'll remember this post. You can fall in love with the "young and hungry" teams like the Rams, Jags, Eagles, and Cowboys. Those are the hot new blonde media darlings. Just like the Falcons last year and the Panthers in 2015. Oh and don't forget the Steelers in 2015. We all saw how that turned out

You all fall for this every year. Shiny new object/team who is hyped up until the tested, grind it out teams punch them in the mouth. The Seahawks, the Patriots..stable organizations who know how to get it done

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1qllgo8b said:
The Atlanta Falcons, and the Carolina Panthers before them used to blow teams out before making the Super Bowl. So did the Broncos before they faced us in the Super Bowl. So did the Patriots before they met the Giants in the Super Bowl

I can go on and on, quoting different examples. BOTH times we made the Super Bowl we didn't make a habit of blowing teams out. Everyone loves the new guy in town, the hot new "hungry" team blowing teams out. But those teams rarely win championships. The Ravens during their SB run, Seahawks during our SB runs, the Broncos, the Patriots. Those are battle tested, championship teams who know how to win football games

No offense, but some here need to tell the difference between what's "hot" and new, versus what's reliable and quality tested.

Post of the year.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":yj4w820l said:
Scorpion05":yj4w820l said:

Post of the year.

Y'all quiet down with your logic. We need to go undefeated until the Super Bowl like that one team in 2007 that lost to Eli Manning.

mrt144

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1m3n2sh5 said:
Sgt. Largent":1m3n2sh5 said:
SoulfishHawk":1m3n2sh5 said:
I have never understood the fascination with HOW a team wins the game. 1 point, 30 points, who cares? Not the BCS, just get that Dub :2thumbs:
But they "almost lost" or but they didn't do this, or didn't do that, or they should have blown them out, blah blah blah.

In the win column, no it doesn't matter.

But for some intangibles, winning comfortably can make a difference.

- being ahead by 2-3 TD's in the 4th quarter means you can rest some starters
- gaining confidence when you really thump a team
- big road wins
- individual players gaining confidence by having big games

Stuff like this can make a difference as the season goes along.

There is a little something to the 'iron sharpens iron' thought but...

There's also something to winning games handily against teams you should.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ok - statement wins be damned, I'd just settle for not losing in our own house to a losing team, which we've already done once this year and hopefully won't do again.

Chapow

Reaction score
mrt144":2kwbsskz said:

Like what?

I'm just asking because when we curbed stomped the Colts earlier this season lots of people just brushed it off because "We're supposed to curb stomp bad teams. Doesn't mean anything. Colts suck".

mrt144

Reaction score
Chapow":3bpcmjay said:
mrt144":3bpcmjay said:

Like what?

I'm just asking because when we curbed stomped the Colts earlier this season lots of people just brushed it off because "We're supposed to curb stomp bad teams. Doesn't mean anything. Colts suck".

Morale?

And in terms of not meaning anything, that mostly rings true in regard to problem children players and position groups. Would you argue that our OL or RBs post Colts game have continued to deliver at that Colts game level?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
sutz":eu8k4rxf said:
The win IS the statement. Point spreads are for Vegas.

Agree with this. Although I would like them to put some games together where they look like they're capable of sustaining drives.

Lost in some of this has been that Seattle has seemingly found their way to scoring inside the 10 with Graham. That could be huge for us going down the stretch.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, young and hungry does not equate to titles. I'll take experience and ability every day. This team has been thru the battles, much more than most teams in the league right now. I realize the Rams are much improved, but I'll be impressed AFTER I see them play teams w/winning records etc. Still a ton of ball to play.

sutz

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":28ww93eb said:
sutz":28ww93eb said:
The win IS the statement. Point spreads are for Vegas.

Agree with this. Although I would like them to put some games together where they look like they're capable of sustaining drives.

Lost in some of this has been that Seattle has seemingly found their way to scoring inside the 10 with Graham. That could be huge for us going down the stretch.
Oh, and I left off another thing that grinds my gears sometimes. It seems to me that crap like this has gotten worse since the explosion of fantasy football, with everybody worrying more about their players' performance than team wins and losses. Me, I could give a damn if your fantasy QB scores 20 or not. ;)

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Simple wins will pass as efficient. I hate the way Seattle plays but wins are all that matters. We might drop a couple to Atlanta and Philly though and I think the Rams may beat us too.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The only statement we've needed to make we've already made in the NFCC against the Packers. No matter how hopeless the situation looks, victory remains possible.

A team that blows everyone out has no idea what to do when they get slapped in the face by another good team. Suddenly they are not head by 20 points in the 4th. Doubts creep in. Maybe they're not as good as they thought. Mistakes happen. Wheels fall off.

The Seahawks have shown time and time again that they never quit, and as long as they never quit they have a chance to win. Those who have adversity learn to live through it.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sure, the team doesn't literally "need," statement wins, but I'll count myself as a fan who would love to see one! :)

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
adeltaY":2ioutg1p said:
Sure, the team doesn't literally "need," statement wins, but I'll count myself as a fan who would love to see one! :)

Seattle fans need statement wins. :lol: