Things you are looking forward to in the preseason

two dog

Reaction score
While the offensive line is trying to come together, I doubt they will put Russell out
there a lot in early preseason. That's good because we may get a rather extended
look at Trevone Boykin. It will be interesting to see what Jake Heaps brings also.

Quinton Jefferson looks like he might be an important rotational player before the season
is too far along. He just looks like one of those guys that will not allow himself to fail.

Watching the game films of Brandin Bryant makes me kind of wish they would skip the
fullback work and turn him loose on the defensive line. His ability to out-quick O-linemen,
if he can transfer it to NFL level play, would be more valuable I think. He is maybe not
Aaron Donald but he's still pretty damn quick.

I'm looking forward to seeing Nick Vanett's pre season work. The running backs promise
to put on a good show too. Alex English is a particular favorite of mine.
I want to see Kenny Lawler work with Trevone Boykin.

Looking forward to the competition at fullback. Cottem looked pretty good in the backfield
at Purdue and Tupou looks like he could possibly be a pleasant surprise. I too wish that
Tre Madden could get a fair shot at running back. When he was signed as a FA, I thought
that it was as a RB.

Of course I will be watching and rooting for my adopt a rookie, Joey Hunt. Love those Texas
ballplayers. They're confident and they are tough.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I agree with all your points.

I'm interested to see what Boykin does at backup. He flashed some serious potential at TCU.

Would like to see what vannett can add to our offense. We need a good blocking tight end, something we haven't had since miller left

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Overseasfan":3kg41sax said:
I honestly like the pre-season period. Just to get to see the stars of tomorrow.

Preseason is my favorite time of the year. No pressure to win, you can just relax and focus on football. And like you say, it's really the only chance we get to look at some of the backups in action.

Also, the weather. It doesn't get any better than a "night" game with a 9:00pm sunset.

Hawks46":3kg41sax said:
You pretty much covered everything other than how Vannett looks.

I think Vannett and Reed were two of Seattle's better draft picks, but I don't think I'll need to watch them all that closely because I am extremely confident that both will be exactly the same guys this preseason that they were in college. Anything more or less from either of them would really surprise me.

JSeahawks":3kg41sax said:
Last year I didn't watch a minute of preseason, I just wasnt into it. Maybe Super Bowl loss hangover or something.

RJ Archer took something like 70% of the QB snaps and he is an abysmal QB, so if there was a year to miss, last year wouldn't have been a bad choice. Lockett and Clark were amazing though, they almost made it worth enduring Archer.

You look back over the years and many Seahawks stars made a name for themselves in the preseason, so I look at it as being almost like a second NFL draft.

jammerhawk":3kg41sax said:
1. Seeing some real progress with the OLine, hopefully seeing Gilliam, Glowinski, and Sokoli each take a major step forward. Will be watching Ifedi closely to see if he has the stuff to develop into a quality OLineman.

This is a good point I hadn't really thought of. Preseason games don't count, but they are still full speed football games. It's a chance to get a small head start on building some continuity on the line and figuring some things out. Last year Seattle couldn't really do that because they shuffled the line around so much during the preseason, but this year the roles seem much more defined.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thomas Rawls sitting on the sideline. While I believe he is the key to our season, I see no reason to give him preseason reps.

Save it for the long season and the playoffs.

two dog

Reaction score
Preseason is the best time of the football year because of the "no anxiety" nature of the games.

Two moves already made that I liked was the move of Brandin Bryant to the defensive line only
and the listing of Tanner McEvoy as a Safety instead of a wide receiver.

I was just thinking ahead to the cuts. Gonna be brutal this year because of the depth of talent.
Other teams are going to feast on our cuts and practice squad from this group.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Russell's command of the huddle, the offense, & how quickly can be sync with his receivers. Our Oline figures to be a disaster so he is going to need to get the ball out faster, read defenses, adjust and audible pre snap I order to survive.

LolaRox

Reaction score
I enjoy preseason as well.

In general -

I'm looking forward to the overall competition of the team. There seem to be more legitimate spots open then in recent years - outside corner (and maybe nickel), the entire o-line, RB...

It feels like this team should be elevated by better depth at almost every position and preseason will show if that is true or not. I also believe we will see a number of players (2013 and 2014 draftees) that have contributed over the last couple of years lose their jobs.

In particular -

* Browner in his new role
* Back-up secondary
* Frank Clark's development

Cyrus12

Reaction score
looking fwd to all the guys that look like stars playing reps vs 3rd and 4th defences only to be cut by the end and not being picked up by anyone...I have learned not to buy into the hype. Just looking fwd to everyone being healthy to go by week 1

chet380

Reaction score
Will the faith everyone has seemed to have granted to Gilliam be justified?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
All I am curious about is the front line. The Offensive line that is. Have a great day.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":14r1ucjc said:
5 Starters on O-Line in Preseason Game 1 who are the same starters Week 1 of the regular season.

I'm with this! O-line needs to play together and to find the right fits it's going to take all preseason to get them to work as one.

The Breh

Reaction score
Definitely the RB comp and all these linemen on both sides. Everything is pretty much locked up.
I haven't seen these rb's play but I'm expecting some poer and explosion.

randomation

Reaction score
Everything you mentioned, but also can't wait to see how McEvoy develops could be the answer for our tight end woes and given the pats are running their two TE of doom set again we will likely need it.