This defense is falling apart

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":x3tvnkba said:
We were missing like 5 starters on the defense for most of the game yesterday, all on the pro bowl level. How do you think the Pats would do without Brady, Gronk, and their other stars?
Well they won the superbowl without gronk last year. And this season they playing without their best reciever Edelman and are gonna be the #1 seed again.

raisethe3

Reaction score
HawkFan72":ddwk7eo8 said:
On paper, the Defense at the beginning of the year looked like it might rival the 2013 Defense. It's really depressing to me to see how it has fallen apart.

I thought the same too. There a lot of hype about it if I remembered correctly.

kobebryant

Reaction score
They had 3 points before the defensive captain, signal caller and possible DPOY left. That's a ridiculously hard situation to salvage on the fly. It could be better with a week to prepare, but in real time it is devastating. It's the defensive equivalent of playing the 2nd half without Russ.

getnasty

Reaction score
Take any team let alone unit that losses 5 pro bowlers and yes they'd be falling apart.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":vezcnvvv said:
NJlargent":vezcnvvv said:
johnnyfever":vezcnvvv said:
NJlargent":vezcnvvv said:
Even when healthy this defense is overrated. That’s not to say it is not good, which it is, but we are far from shutdown. The defense depends on a pass rush and that’s been absent since 14. Our LBs and secondary are amazing and make up for the lack of rush. Bennett may have 7.5 sacks but it’s a quiet 7.5 sacks and he’s a non factor.
Haha, "quiet" sacks vs the "roughing the QB" type?

Not sure what you are trying to say here.

I mean quiet sacks from the sense that even with 7.5 sacks he has not exactly been a force or presence.

7.5 sacks means you're not a force or presence in today's league. Guess it just kinda happens by accident or tripping into 'em.

You heard it here first, folks.

I don't subscribe to the thinking that Bennetts had a bad season but I do think for him it is a quieter season as well, his plantar fasciatis is probably a big factor as is not having Avril but he's been more disruptive in years past. We'd see stretches of games out of Bennett where he seemed to be everywhere and unstoppable, he was creating havoc and even when he wasn't the man getting the sack he was the one who made it happen. His value was always more than his individual stats but this year his individual stats inflate what he's brought to the line imo. He's been better and I think there are real reasons as to why he hasn't been better is all im saying but given his limitations this season it's still a solid year.

Seafan

Reaction score
Pete's defenses have always depended on a strong running game. When the MVP can sustain some 1st thru 3rd quarter drives and keep the defense fresher for the 4th quarter it finishes a lot better. The defense is the least of the Hawk's concerns. This team will go on how RW performs. If he plays well early the rest of the team can be at their best. When Sherman isn't available it would behoove the defense to put more pressure on the QB. It can't do that if it is sucking wind at the end of the game.