This game really worries me.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
More fun information:

The Seahawks will represent the 2nd toughest offensive matchup the Cardinals have faced at home, whether you measure offensive performance by yards or by points. Only Philadelphia is ranked higher than Seattle in those areas.

Of course, that comes with the caveat that Philly is a league-worst 32nd in offensive turnovers. Seattle ranks 2nd.

The Cardinals have forced turnovers in 6 of their 7 home wins, including multiple turnovers versus Philly, Washington, St. Louis, and KC. Of those teams, only KC ranks in the top half of the league in ball security.

Of the Cardinals' 7 home wins, 4 have been by a single-score margin. The other 3 were by 9, 10, and 17 points. Their overall point differential is +43, which corresponds to a team that on average be more of an 8-6 to 9-5 team (based on Pythagorean wins, which is based on points for and points against). Our point differential is +97, which pretty much corresponds to a 10-4 team, which we are.

I believe based on how each team has played this year, based on how each team is playing NOW, and based on the talent at all positions, that Seattle will go into Arizona, win the turnover battle, and win the game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":y90a4svi said:
The Cowboys' offense is not at all of the dink-and-dunk variety.

They were when they played us. Go back and watch it again. It's not about what they are generally; it's about how they adapted to our defense, and they did so with a dink-and-dunk that kept our D on the field all day.

Reducing an offense to a dink-and-dunk gameplan is a victory for any defense. It means that they have to stick to the safe, low-risk-low-reward stuff that a secondary can't reach and a pass rush can't defend. That's good. But it also means that a highly disciplined, conservative game manager QB can beat it if he doesn't get stupid. Take the underneath stuff, stay out of the way, let the defense win games.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3rji7elu said:
MidwestHawker":3rji7elu said:
The Cowboys' offense is not at all of the dink-and-dunk variety.

They were when they played us. Go back and watch it again. It's not about what they are generally; it's about how they adapted to our defense, and they did so with a dink-and-dunk that kept our D on the field all day.

Reducing an offense to a dink-and-dunk gameplan is a victory for any defense. It means that they have to stick to the safe, low-risk-low-reward stuff that a secondary can't reach and a pass rush can't defend. That's good. But it also means that a highly disciplined, conservative game manager QB can beat it if he doesn't get stupid. Take the underneath stuff, stay out of the way, let the defense win games.
I feel like dink and dunk is a mislabeled way to characterize what the Cowboys did. They ran productively and converted short 3rd downs. Or worse, short 2nd downs.

If we stop the run, dink and dunk is gone. It has been that way for this team all along.

Bruce is going to pull out the stops. In an interview the other day, he used the "they are a grabby defense and NEVER get called for it" card, he is already working the refs. His Receivers will be flopping like fish. He is going to pass from short yard jumbo sets, and run long draws. If he can get a few holds called and get the corners off press, then he will throw some short stuff.

More than most coaches, Bruce is evolutionary. As games develop, he arrives at that one thing your D is giving away. He is also damn good at working off what affected you last. A corner gives up a couple of short outs for first downs, you can bet Bruce will dial up a double move hitch and go to that guy. Give up a long ball, expect to see a hitch to the same area pretty soon.

But none of that gives Lindley a golden arm. Or changes the fact that our defense is pretty damn simple and assignment sound.

gulliver

Reaction score
If AZ had a decent offense I'd be worried about this game. As it is, I'm not.

Now to the point of RW taking sacks, it is starting to become a scandal.

2012: RW takes 33 sacks (2.06 per game) in the regular season
2013: RW takes 44 sacks (2.75 per game) in the regular season
2014: RW takes 38 sacks (2.71 per game) in the regular season, on track for 43 sacks

Keep in mind, our dude is the most slippery QB out there. If he's as immobile as Peyton or Brady, e.g., he's taking 60+ sacks a year.

Russell Wilson is our X-factor. He goes out, we're probably a 9-7 team. How many more seasons where he's getting sacked 35-50 times does Russ have in him before he takes *the* hit that turns him into an injury case like Romo or Cutler?

IMO Cable and gang--if they're asked back next year--have some serious work to do or they should be gone. Yes, there are other nuances (Russell's style and audibles, Bevell's playcalls), but Russ is consistently among the most sacked QBs in the league (never been better than 12th-worst).

Hawks46

Reaction score
If we're favored by 8 points, we're favored by 11 on a neutral field, as HFA is usually 3 points. That's huge in the NFL; damn near Oakland Raiders/Titans/Jaguars big. QB is a big deal.

That last time Lindley played us, it was one of the worst defeats in the last 30 years. That has to be in the back of his mind.

Yes, their defense is great, probably elite, and yes, Wilson will probably be sacked 5 + times again. Thing is, Wilson will eat that ball instead of chucking it up like many QBs do. The Cards live off of turnovers, and we just don't turn the ball over that much. So yea, field position and killing drives sucks, but it won't destroy us like it does many teams.

Honestly, does anyone really think Lindley is going to beat us ? The chances of that are less than 10%, and smarter football minds than ours have determined that by an 8 point line. There is millions of dollars hanging on that line, it's deliberated over and over. How long before that team starts to give up a little bit when they see Lindley playing attrocious ?

Are they going to run the ball on us ? Maybe, but it will be tougher knowing they likely can't pass on us, so we can focus on the run. Honestly, how are they going to score on us ?

How exactly can that team beat us? Sure, this game worries me, but only because if we lose the consequences are a lot more than a normal game. More is riding on it, that's why it worries me, but I still think we win.

Largent80

Reaction score
I'll be honest. EVERY game worries me, but at some point handicapping does have it's merits, so friggin relax.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Wilson has been sacked about, what?, 23 times in the last 4 games.

The team has went 4-0.

The offense has averaged about 20 points per game against some solid defenses in those 4 games as well.

Frankly, Bevell had an odd gameplan last week against the 49ers... seems like the Seahawks were trying conserve Lynch as much as possible as well as rest Wilson's legs.

I. think both players will come out strong in primetime, with Bevell running a solid gameplan, and Seahawks will make a statement establishing their dominant running game and putting the Cardinals offense in a pressure cooker against our Defense.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
lots of people wrote off the seahawks weeks ago, i did not, did you? if so, perhaps that is why you are worried. AZ has sucked since they lost their star. what games are you watching that makes you worried? come on. please

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I'm way...way WAY more pumped for this game than last weeks. This is THE CHALLENGE!
We will be at 125% at least, maybe even more!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's gonna' be a tough game regardless. Very good defenses on both sides. Russ will likely get sacked at least 5 times, but they will overcome like they always do. Hawks in a close game, low score. 16-13, something like that.

bigcc

Reaction score
this guys career high qb rating in 8 games is 55.8

8 in the box all game long, t-jack is in at QB midway through the 4th quarter

bigcc

Reaction score
hawkfan68":72z2h4dm said:
When Lindley played the Seahawks in 2012, this happened -
http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=321209026

It was a 58-0 bashing. The chances of getting 58-0 score again might be slim but chance of the Seahawks winning the game look pretty good to me.

I'd put money on 58-0 being more likely than the cards winning.

EDIT: Ok bit much, I would actually put money on our defense/ST (field goals aside even) outscoring their offense

capncrunch

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":wfus0w7n said:
We haven't scored a defensive TD in awhile, this is the game I think we do get one. Primetime game means no worry for the Seahawks, so I'm not worried at all. For the last 4 games I've seen people worrying about each game and why that other team will win, and look at where we are. The only team I'm a lil worry about is the Rams with their trick plays and that's about it. 12-4 we win the division and hopefully if everything aligns we will get the #1 Seed.

Yes. A defensive TD. I like that. Maybe Tharold Simon. As to the outcome, if I had to put my money where my mouth is,
I'd say:
(Assume no points)
Even odds. take Seahawks
2-1 take Seahawks
3-1 take Seahawks
4-1 take Cards

jacobsod

Reaction score
With the D playin lights out, the Cards have almost no chance, imo. But since I grew up in the Northwest, every time I see any of our Northwest teams (even moreso the Hawks) play I get nervous. It's in my BLOOD! lol :180670:

BUT...what worries me most is what "mood" the officiating crew is in. Hope the play-calling doesn't go the way it did for the 1st 3/4 of the season.

Off subject a bit but I'm mad I couldn't get decent tickets for a fair price. My wife and I go to the SEA-AZ game in PHX every year since it's only a few hours drive away but this year the good tickets sold out FAST and are expensive! It being a few days before Christmas doesn't help the pocketbook either! lol Oh well. GO HAWKS!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2ldr5swo said:
They beat a healthy Seahawks team at Clink last year with FOUR turnovers. If you're not at least a little worried. Well then you're just an overly confident fan.
And the game before that the Hawks beat a healthy Cards team with Palmer while the Hawks line was beat up. The Hawks just played the Cards and pounded the ball on their defense after dealing with a stacked box for most of the game.

Last year means far less to this game than the game the Hawks just beat AZ a few weeks ago.

Hey, the Cards could win, but it won't be because the fans are overconfident. They will hit Russell just like they did in Seattle, they will stack ML and slow him down in the first half, but the Cards did all that and still lost by 16

I like the Hawks chances this week.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/545434566836912128[/tweet]

And Lindley will not be playing with a short leash, or even a tight rein, despite the opponent and the situation. Arians has told him to, “Go sling it.”

9230164.gif

Foghawk

Reaction score
And Lindley will not be playing with a short leash, or even a tight rein, despite the opponent and the situation. Arians has told him to, “Go sling it.”

:3:

Gton training day boom reaction Denzel 1384336932f

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":30wjsaoc said:
kmedic":30wjsaoc said:
Look, remember the Ravens 2001? Remember their crappy QB? Guy named Dilfer....horrible QB, probably not much better than Lindley and they won the SB.

Bolded is completely absurd. Dilfer basically amounted to a standard backup QB who wasn't great but belonged in the league. Lindley was literally unemployed in the NFL two weeks ago. Dilfer was a pretty good comparison for the Drew Stanton situation, but not for this Lindley thing. There's a reason the Cards dumped this guy originally.
Very well said