This offseason has been a total disaster!

Elemas

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2vgh0mnq said:
SoulfishHawk":2vgh0mnq said:
Man this is entertaining. The sky is falling on May 15th. Got it

So, repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true. Back it up. Who is out there and available that would fill the key areas that have not been addressed?

No one. Hey, if you are a true fan and remember the team being outright terrible, have faith that every 7th round pick will turn out like Carson, and (now...this next one's a stretch) believe that without improvement this team is still a contender, you too can celebrate making the playoffs.

What's wrong with you bruh?

Boycie

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":wttxttnd said:
SoulfishHawk":wttxttnd said:
Man this is entertaining. The sky is falling on May 15th. Got it

So, repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make it true. Back it up. Who is out there and available that would fill the key areas that have not been addressed?

I thought we were trading for Garrett? No? :stirthepot:

Fanatics

Reaction score
Well the new rule of 7 teams in the playoffs might work out in our favor this season. Really I think our division has gotten stronger, while we are staying the same if not worse. Cardinals for sure will be better, have they did enough to surpass, we shall see. The 49ers seemed to improve through the draft/trades and the Rams with the mastermind HC, you never can count them out - were playing some of the best ball to end the season last year. Not to mention the Cowboys have improved along with a few other teams. Will be interesting...if the season is played.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Geezus man, lighten up. We all have our opinions. It's a damn message board. Don't like my opinion, too bad. Interesting off season to say the least. Disaster? A little early, but I do agree they still have some work to do. In fact, a lot of work to do really.
Who is available that would help fill the needs? Um, Clowney and Griffin for starters. And if Dunbar doesn't play, which isn't looking good at all, Logan Ryan is available. Though it's not likely they have cap $ for him. There are still plenty of veteran corners available if they want to add one, and I can't see them NOT adding a vet at Corner if this Dunbar thing gets him cut and/or suspended.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
LOL the SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dude lighten up. We will be better on both sides of the ball when its all said and done. Book it.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well maybe instead of what 17 O lineman on the roster a few weeks ago we should have brought in another 25.

People get caught up in not having names they know in positions, time after time we get guys that can play, may not be pro bowlers but you can't have 53 pro bowlers on the roster and afford to pay them, I think before measuring our success this off season we should at least get to pre season and see if some of these guys can stand out from the rest.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Good points chris, and I don't doubt some of our players WILL stand out from the rest. Problem with that is maybe they are standing out on a roster of slaughterhouse rescues but will be expected to compete on the track with fields comprised of competitive thoroughbreds. How much would you bet on that working?

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Dunbar incident is a big deal as he was a key off-season addition. I kind of liked their approach to upgrading the secondary instead of the DL, but if that is down the tubes then it's a big setback for sure.

I do think calling the entire off-season a disaster is premature.

The skill positions are clearly better. Last season, our RB and TE groups lost almost everybody to injury and two of our wide receivers were rookies. This year, Dorsett and Olsen are both upgrades while Carson and Dissly will at least start out relatively healthy. Metcalf, Homer, and Ursua should be better as sophomores, while Parkinson and Sullivan give Russ some much needed big possession targets.

At offensive line, Britt and Ifedi were not that good and then Britt went down. Finney and Shell should turn out to be upgrades over Hunt and Ifedi. Iupati played in 16 games last season, and we drafted Lewis not as future depth but because they thought he was ready to play immediately. We also still have our other young depth (Phil Haynes, Jamarco Jones, Jordan Simmons) who were hurt last year but are currently healthy. So much of the OL outcomes will depend on our injury luck that you can't form conclusions in May.

At defensive line I can understand the concern. However, they've been adding lots of rookies over the last couple of seasons; Ford, Christmas and Mone inside, Green, Collier, Taylor and Robinson outside. Our only pricey guy is Reed, and it's difficult to know what to expect from him. Irvin and Mayowa were not particularly exciting pickups, but the young players will develop a lot faster if given playing time. We also still have plenty of cap to add another traditional late free agency DT veteran.

If you want to be skeptical that none of our DL youth will improve this year then that's your prerogative but that's just pessimism. I still maintain that if you re-watch the GB playoff game you will never see Aaron Rodgers standing in the pocket comfortably. They just had him take really deep drops or scramble out of the pocket and then quickly get the ball out. We could add the top 4 DEs in the NFL and if the opposing QB throws immediately out of shotgun it wouldn't lead to any sacks.

On that note, I was excited that the secondary looked to be hugely improved with Diggs and Dunbar. We'll see how things develop with Dunbar, but if it looks like he won't play then I wouldn't be surprised if they made another move here. In my view whether this off-season is a failure will come down to whether we successfully fixed the secondary or not.

WarHawks

Reaction score
The Hawks will be lucky if they win two games this year. Everyone on the team is either really old, really slow, or tiny, like really tiny, with little tiny football hands and chubby little feet. How they tie their shoes without falling over is a mystery.

There, how's that? Just thought I'd take a shot at being a gloomer. Not really my thing. :pukeface: :snack:

xray

Reaction score
looking on the sunny side...if no camp...less injuries . :sarcasm_off:

OP
OP
emurri

emurri

Reaction score
I do totally agree that injuries may be the biggest factor in determining the success of any team. I truly believe if we could remain healthy, without the major injuries we have had the past few years that we could be in contention for a championship.

I do think we have to get some more help on the defensive line and, unfortunately, now the secondary. I was really excited about adding Dunbar and I really felt the along with Diggs we were going to see a really good secondary.

I do think there are guys out there that can be signed or traded for that would make things much better and I would surprised if John and Pete don’t make a number of moves. If we stay with what we have now I think we could struggle some this year.

I do think that our draft picks from last year will step up and start to make a bigger impact. I am not as down on guys like Collier and Flowers That many around here are. I still think Penny could become a stud and make a great one-two punch with Carson. I think we had a great draft this year and I am really excited for what they will bring to the team. But without d-line help and now secondary help I don’t see us making a serious run in the playoffs.

Obviously we don’t now how things will turn out and some guys could really step up and we become a Super Bowl challenger. These are just my opinions and I could be totally wrong. I was thinking with the money we had going into the offseason that we would have more of a free agency period like we did in 2013.

King Dog

Reaction score
WarHawks":a703ti9k said:
The Hawks will be lucky if they win two games this year. Everyone on the team is either really old, really slow, or tiny, like really tiny, with little tiny football hands and chubby little feet. How they tie their shoes without falling over is a mystery.

There, how's that? Just thought I'd take a shot at being a gloomer. Not really my thing. :pukeface: :snack:

Joey Hunt tiny, BBK tiny or Ugo Amani tiny?

King Dog

Reaction score
I remember being at a car wash and texting my buddy "holy **** we got Avril and Bennett." Now THAT was an off season.

morgulon1

Reaction score
chris98251":1ftdkir2 said:
Well maybe instead of what 17 O lineman on the roster a few weeks ago we should have brought in another 25.

People get caught up in not having names they know in positions, time after time we get guys that can play, may not be pro bowlers but you can't have 53 pro bowlers on the roster and afford to pay them, I think before measuring our success this off season we should at least get to pre season and see if some of these guys can stand out from the rest.

OK, a calm and reasonable post. I am excited to see what John Schneider Pete Carroll have put together.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I was hoping the Eeyores would give it a rest until at least the preseason. I should know better.

To anyone crying about this team, consider being a Mariners fan. Your attitude is more fitting for that shitstorm.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maulbert":38yx514s said:
Don't come to a discussion board and have a discussion I don't like! Shut the hell up until after the preseason and then I will tell you to shut up until after the season. I don't like what you are saying so go away because I am closed minded and only care about my opinion and those that agree with it.

Thought I would clarify it for you. Too bad that instead of being a place that fans of the Seahawks can have differing opinions it is a place that posters are assholes to each other.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Code:
JayhawkMike":xauqnqmq said:
Maulbert":xauqnqmq said:
Don't come to a discussion board and have a discussion I don't like! Shut the hell up until after the preseason and then I will tell you to shut up until after the season. I don't like what you are saying so go away because I am closed minded and only care about my opinion and those that agree with it.

Thought I would clarify it for you. Too bad that instead of being a place that fans of the Seahawks can have differing opinions it is a place that posters are assholes to each other.

Get off your cross, victim. I didn't say anything like that. This is a hyperbolic topic that is in no way constructive, just a place for whiners to piss and moan. I'm not saying it should be closed, I'm just calling you out for what you are.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I can see that despite other going by need and position have constructively added to the board while you are homeless guy on the side of the road giving everyone the finger. You should just accept that you are "that guy."

Have a great day Karen.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Oh man, "Over-Reaction Monday" gets here on Fridays during the off-season!

One of Pete's core competencies as a coach, that he does better than any other coach in the NFL, IMO, is to lead a staff and environment that rapidly coaches up and develops young guys into NFL-quality players. ("Rapidly" includes redshirt guys who emerge as NFL-quality players in their 2nd and 3rd years)

As Spin Doctor put it, "We're relying on a lot of young guys who haven't exactly shown anything in the NFL yet to step up for us. I think the biggest area of failure was at offensive line this offseason and we haven't done much to address our weak defensive line."

While I think our O-Line is going to be a surprise strength, our D-Line, especially DT spots, are looking a bit shaky right now.

But yeah, we are relying on a lot of young guys who haven't exactly proven anything in the NFL. Pete's redshirt classes. So it will be Christmas in September? (As in DeMarcus, the redshirt DL) Will LJ start Colliering QBs? Will Tre Flowers truly blossom in his 3rd season? Jordan Simmons HAS proven himself as a player in the NFL, but hasn't proven he can stay healthy. Will BBK emerge as an NFL-level player? Our TE meeting room wil be *fascinating*, will Uncle Will ever be back to impose his will? Our 7th rounder, will Greg Olson turn him into a force of nature? Will Cliff Avril come on board and coach up our two edge rusher draft picks?

We also don't know what scheme adjustments Pete and Schotty and Norton are in the process of making to take advantage of personnel. More up-tempo offense? I think we get so focused on players and talent acquisition it's easy to overlook scheme changes that can make a real difference. That stuff is part of the offseason too. Don't overlook the culture of buy-in among the players that Pete & Co have going on here; in a season disrupted by Covid-19 lockdown, that could make a big difference.

The other point I think is being overlooked here, is DEPTH. We were injury-decimated at the end of last season. If our practice squad TE gains 18 more inches on that play, we still Freakin WIN THE DIVISION, over a 49ers team that had a double-digit 4th quarter Super Bowl lead. Carroll & Co. were plugging leaks left and right. When our stars are unavailable, do we have guys ready for "next man up"? Guys who can at least play at an "average" NFL level, or is there a huge dropoff? So, IMO, panning the pickups of guys like Benson Mayowa and Bruce Irvin misses the point. We lost SB49 when Cliff Avril went down with a concussion, as much as we lost it on "The Pick". Nobody else was able to generate pressure. And NE "disappeared" Chris Matthews in the 2nd half, and repeatedly torched sucky Tharald Simon. Have Carroll and Schneider done well at acquiring/developing quality *depth*, without overpaying? In 2013, we steamrolled the opposition because we had a ton of young guys, and veterans, outplay their contracts by a wide margin. IF Quinton Dunbar plays, he's one of those guys who has the potential to outplay his contract by a factor of 2X or more.

TL; DR;
When grading the offseason, also pay attention to quality of depth across the roster, and guys who are primed to significantly outplay their contract. A serviceable "Next man up" is as likely to win key games, or, more accurately, not be the "weakest link" glaring flaw opponents can repeatedly exploit to defeat us.

Latest posts