This offseason has been a total disaster!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2q6njlw7 said:
Tim Jernigan is still available as his $3.5M deal with the Texans seems to have fallen through. Could he be an effective DT solution as a Seahawk?

Only if he is cheap, under performed with his last team and is a big injury risk. Otherwise the Seahawks will pass.

Edit to add: "Jernigan is going to have to show that he can overcome two injury-plagued seasons in 2018 and 2019. In 2018, Jernigan suffered an off-season neck/back injury that required him to have surgery and miss time. Last season, Jernigan dealt with a foot injury that caused missed games."

I bet we go all in.

AgentDib

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3bjpove1 said:
Only if he is cheap, under performed with his last team and is a big injury risk. Otherwise the Seahawks will pass.
I know this is meant as sarcasm but there is a more than a kernel of truth here and it's telling that you mean this as a throw-away rather than actual insight.

NFL free agency is an auction which means the winner's curse applies. A good FA will generate interest from all 32 teams and then end up on the team with the highest estimate of their value. Naturally, the odds of that highest bid being a good value are very small.

On the other hand, the potential outcomes for "diamonds in the rough" are much broader. They could be complete wastes of money (Ed Dickson), or Super Bowl winning values (Cliff Avril). If you assume that it requires a very good team in order to seriously compete for a Super Bowl then it makes sense to be risk seeking and actively look for these kind of players with question marks around them.

Of course, there are lots of options here and you only named a couple (injury history, coming off bad performance). Looking at players with off-field issues like Josh Gordon is another avenue. The Seahawks favorite method is bringing in unproven young talent that could still have a wide range of development outcomes. A high turnover rate lets the players sort through dozens of these type of players in the hopes of finding the few here and there who will be good contributors. In every case, being cheap is an important part because only cheap players can really outperform their contracts.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I’d rather they played more than 18 games every season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
John63":32t1mefn said:
jammerhawk":32t1mefn said:
ducks41468":32t1mefn said:
Wilson will drag this team kicking and screaming into the playoffs as usual. They'll lose their first playoff game as usual. The fans will rejoice and call it a successful season as usual. Rinse and repeat.

As usual being a team that annually makes the playoffs isn't good enough for some fans who perhaps weren't following the team when it rarely if ever made the playoffs like numerous other teams in the NFL. Count your blessings you aren't a fan of one of the sad sack teams.

Nobody ever rejoices about being knocked out of the playoffs whenever it happens but you should note the team often wins the first round but gets knocked out in the 2nd round lately. Yes, without a doubt Wilson is special, but so are quite a few others that don't quite get the recognition they deserve.

Lots of hyperbole and negativity in this thread. You know the team truly limped into the playoffs last season with an 11-5 record. They were one yard away from defeating SF 2 x which would have given them a playoff bye, they were closer than the negative folks accept to going a lot deeper in the playoffs than somewhere acknowledge and there were reasons why their exit happened too. It was too bad the whole RB corps were by then on IR save for a rookie 4th string player.

I suspect this season's team will surprise us and be a lot better than some 'experts' are predicting.

The offseason is far from being over and the team still has a more than $15 million in cap to fix a few areas. The Dunbar situation seems to not be as bad as initially believed and he may not have done anything wrong at all.

here we go again people saying we should be satisfied with being 1 and done instead of wanting more.

From the quoted remark please advise where the post says 'we should be satisfied with being 1 and done instead of wanting more" ???

Your negative agenda is showing.

Winning it all is goal every season and rather clearly nobody wants to just be 1 and done in the playoffs. Getting to the playoffs is a good thing that you'd want depreciate if it all isn't won every season. OK, whatever. Your position seems to fail to recognize how difficult it is to just make the playoffs. Did you think with Carson, Penny and Prosise all injured along with many other missing pieces that winning through the playoffs was likely last season? I doubt it somehow but then again I doubt you have much good to say about most of the team's roster moves or performance over the past 10 years.

springscohawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":1b8bm00e said:
The Dunbar incident is a big deal as he was a key off-season addition. I kind of liked their approach to upgrading the secondary instead of the DL, but if that is down the tubes then it's a big setback for sure.

I do think calling the entire off-season a disaster is premature.

The skill positions are clearly better. Last season, our RB and TE groups lost almost everybody to injury and two of our wide receivers were rookies. This year, Dorsett and Olsen are both upgrades while Carson and Dissly will at least start out relatively healthy. Metcalf, Homer, and Ursua should be better as sophomores, while Parkinson and Sullivan give Russ some much needed big possession targets.

At offensive line, Britt and Ifedi were not that good and then Britt went down. Finney and Shell should turn out to be upgrades over Hunt and Ifedi. Iupati played in 16 games last season, and we drafted Lewis not as future depth but because they thought he was ready to play immediately. We also still have our other young depth (Phil Haynes, Jamarco Jones, Jordan Simmons) who were hurt last year but are currently healthy. So much of the OL outcomes will depend on our injury luck that you can't form conclusions in May.

At defensive line I can understand the concern. However, they've been adding lots of rookies over the last couple of seasons; Ford, Christmas and Mone inside, Green, Collier, Taylor and Robinson outside. Our only pricey guy is Reed, and it's difficult to know what to expect from him. Irvin and Mayowa were not particularly exciting pickups, but the young players will develop a lot faster if given playing time. We also still have plenty of cap to add another traditional late free agency DT veteran.

If you want to be skeptical that none of our DL youth will improve this year then that's your prerogative but that's just pessimism. I still maintain that if you re-watch the GB playoff game you will never see Aaron Rodgers standing in the pocket comfortably. They just had him take really deep drops or scramble out of the pocket and then quickly get the ball out. We could add the top 4 DEs in the NFL and if the opposing QB throws immediately out of shotgun it wouldn't lead to any sacks.

Agent Dib, I like your glass half full instead of half empty optimism.

On that note, I was excited that the secondary looked to be hugely improved with Diggs and Dunbar. We'll see how things develop with Dunbar, but if it looks like he won't play then I wouldn't be surprised if they made another move here. In my view whether this off-season is a failure will come down to whether we successfully fixed the secondary or not.