This week Golden Tate stat

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2ta4kkii said:
Everyone here should be rooting for Golden Tate. Frankly, he should make a Pro Bowl but im hoping he gets about 1500 yards, 10 tds to make a case for All-Pro.

He's already a sure fire 4th round comp contract wise but his performance could bump up to 3rd round pick.

Comp picks are based on contract size, FA gains and losses, and being rostered for a qualifying # of games (8).

His stats are completely unrelated to the formula.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Popeyejones":zp2utklb said:
Pandion Haliaetus":zp2utklb said:
Everyone here should be rooting for Golden Tate. Frankly, he should make a Pro Bowl but im hoping he gets about 1500 yards, 10 tds to make a case for All-Pro.

He's already a sure fire 4th round comp contract wise but his performance could bump up to 3rd round pick.

Comp picks are based on contract size, FA gains and losses, and being rostered for a qualifying # of games (8).

No they are not irrelevant because post season awards and accolades are also factored in.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1edylnxt said:
IHowever, he would not be putting up those types of numbers here, and to think otherwise is disingenuous at best.

I've seen this said a lot, but it strikes me as a herring. Has anyone ever actually argued that he'd put up the same numbers in Seattle.

The question isn't if he'd put up the same numbers in Seattle, the question is if he'd be worth 6 million per year TO Seattle.

As for the Lions, they've been looking for a #2 WR for Calvin's whole career (8 years). Tate is on pace for > 1600 receiving yards. It turns out he's worth WAY MORE than 6 million per year to that team.

I personally think, given his run blocking, receiving, how frequently he bailed out Wilson, and his returning that he's EASILY worth 6 million per to the Hawks. If he just put up lines like he did last year he'd be worth 6 million per. That said, for the past few years I've been saying that he is Hines Ward (equal in talent) trapped on a run first team.

The question though is about 6 million per, not if he'd put up the same numbers for the Hawks as he does for the Lions. His numbers on the Lions just show that given opportunity he's an incredibly talented WR, which isn't true of almost all players.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
OkieHawk":40kbxbr5 said:
IHowever, he would not be putting up those types of numbers here, and to think otherwise is disingenuous at best.

I've seen this said a lot, but it strikes me as a herring. Has anyone ever actually argued that he'd put up the same numbers in Seattle.

The question isn't if he'd put up the same numbers in Seattle, the question is if he'd be worth 6 million per year TO Seattle.

As for the Lions, they've been looking for a #2 WR for Calvin's whole career (8 years). Tate is on pace for > 1600 receiving yards. It turns out he's worth WAY MORE than 6 million per year to that team.

I personally think, given his run blocking, receiving, how frequently he bailed out Wilson, and his returning that he's EASILY worth 6 million per to the Hawks. If he just put up lines like he did last year he'd be worth 6 million per. That said, for the past few years I've been saying that he is Hines Ward (equal in talent) trapped on a run first team.

The question though is about 6 million per, not if he'd put up the same numbers for the Hawks as he does for the Lions. His numbers on the Lions just show that given opportunity he's an incredibly talented WR, which isn't true of almost all players.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":34oo3vb8 said:
Popeyejones":34oo3vb8 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":34oo3vb8 said:

No they are not irrelevant because post season awards and accolades are also factored in.

There's some confusion about post season awards (see below), but "accolades" are NOT factored in.

The Comp formula is not publicly released. AdamTJ13 has done more than anybody to figure it out. There are people on the net who say that awards are factored in (even a writer for NFL.com said this), but according to the person who knows the most about it postseason awards don't factor in.

Heck, even on fieldgulls they get this right:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/3/24/554 ... r-seahawks

In any case, if it does factor in, it's at most minimal (it's really contract based) and Tate is still way below the .=8 to 8.5 average annual salary that gets comp picks awarded in the 3rd round. He's a sure fire 4th round comp but I just don't see a 3rd rounder happening at all.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2zuqyww3 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2zuqyww3 said:
Popeyejones":2zuqyww3 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2zuqyww3 said:

There's some confusion about post season awards (see below), but "accolades" are NOT factored in.

The Comp formula is not publicly released. AdamTJ13 has done more than anybody to figure it out. There are people on the net who say that awards are factored in (even a writer for NFL.com said this), but according to the person who knows the most about it postseason awards don't factor in.

Heck, even on fieldgulls they get this right:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/3/24/554 ... r-seahawks

In any case, if it does factor in, it's at most minimal (it's really contract based) and Tate is still way below the .=8 to 8.5 average annual salary that gets comp picks awarded in the 3rd round. He's a sure fire 4th round comp but I just don't see a 3rd rounder happening at all.

Fieldgulls pulled their information from another website and nowhere in that article are postseason accolades and awards mentioned.

The article states that there is a performance based adjustment, and performance ties into awards AND accolades so I am not sure where you are severing the connection, and then states this as a minor factor. But, this minor factor could likely be why no outsider can lock down the formula with 100% certainty as it seems to weigh heavier than has been previously believed.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^^ Definitely possible. IIRC though the problems people have had is parsing out the 6th round picks (sometimes 5ths and sometimes 7ths) and figuring out the cut point by which a 7th rounder is awarded or not, the whereas the 3rd round picks have been pretty cut and dry.

All to say that I'd be pretty surprised if the Hawks get a 3rd for Tate, but it's not like they have a shortage of comps coming their way (did they sign any qualifying FAs? If so, I don't remember them).

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Popeyejones":35zfi086 said:
^^^^^ Definitely possible. IIRC though the problems people have had is parsing out the 6th round picks (sometimes 5ths and sometimes 7ths) and figuring out the cut point by which a 7th rounder is awarded or not, the whereas the 3rd round picks have been pretty cut and dry.

All to say that I'd be pretty surprised if the Hawks get a 3rd for Tate, but it's not like they have a shortage of comps coming their way (did they sign any qualifying FAs? If so, I don't remember them).

No qualifying free agents to my recollection. Kevin Williams was our splash at right around two million for one year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Ah, that's right. Thanks. So even if he does count he'll cancel out a McQuistan type at the end of the 7th.

pehawk

Reaction score
Williams was signed after 6/1 purposely to avoid cancelation of compensatory picks.

XOXO

George Seifert

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Brahn":1o6i8is1 said:
OkieHawk":1o6i8is1 said:
I like Tate, he won a SB here and then got paid, as he should. However, he would not be putting up those types of numbers here, and to think otherwise is disingenuous at best.

This 100%

We only threw the ball 17 times vs the Giants.

Tate had 11 catches, Opposite the best WR in the league.

Stafford had to throw 45 times.

Dunno how people think he would even close to the same here.
Who cares? He's clearly a cut above any of our receivers, we need somebody like him right now. Detroit has not been as pass heavy as in years pass either. The dude is tearing it up, he looks like he's back playing at Notre Dame.

Brahn

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2lorrwyh said:
Brahn":2lorrwyh said:
OkieHawk":2lorrwyh said:
I like Tate, he won a SB here and then got paid, as he should. However, he would not be putting up those types of numbers here, and to think otherwise is disingenuous at best.

This 100%

We only threw the ball 17 times vs the Giants.

Tate had 11 catches, Opposite the best WR in the league.

Stafford had to throw 45 times.

Dunno how people think he would even close to the same here.
Who cares? He's clearly a cut above any of our receivers, we need somebody like him right now. Detroit has not been as pass heavy as in years pass either. The dude is tearing it up, he looks like he's back playing at Notre Dame.

Would he be tearing it up here if we are only throwing it 17 times?

Tate in Detroit is worth 6 million

Tate in Seattle is not worth 6 million

And that's the bottom line.
-Stone Cold Steve Austin

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm happy for Tate that he got paid , but keeping him here wouldn't have worked after he and Percy fought. The issues with Ashton and Tate are not really clear but that could have been the basis for the fight with Harvin. Who really knows, but it was clear the Hawks didn't step up to really try to keep him here. He's gone now and as Pandeon said we need to hope he makes the Pro Bowl as the team could get a late 3rd rd. comp pick for him if he keeps having a great season.

I miss his offensive contributions and his punt returning, and wish he'd been kept but the was a reason why the team didn't step up to try to keep him here.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Brahn":q3zaf1a8 said:
Spin Doctor":q3zaf1a8 said:

Would he be tearing it up here if we are only throwing it 17 times?

Tate in Detroit is worth 6 million

Tate in Seattle is not worth 6 million

And that's the bottom line.
-Stone Cold Steve Austin

Percy was not worth 13 million.
Tate was durable and lead our team in receptions and return yards. He was worth atleast half Harvin's contract.
So because we don't throw as much means we don't need to pay passers and receivers their fair worth?
And why do we complain about our passing futility if our passing game matters so little?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":ytann6eh said:
OkieHawk":ytann6eh said:

So true.

Tate wouldn't have to put up the same numbers to be worth it here.

Hell, he could put up HALF the yards and still be worth it here.

Letting Tate go (and bringing Harvin in) were 2 terrible moves at WR over the last 2 years.

Latest posts