Thoughts on Christine Michael??

Hawks46

Reaction score
Great post Kearly, and I agree. The thing I like about Rawls is how fast he hits the hole, and his ability to decide when to take what he can, and when to get something more.

I've always thought Michael was intriguing physically. He's explosive and strong. He's been compared physically to AP. But he had a "me first" attitude that you could just see: always show boating for the cameras. Our first SB, he was hurt (or incactive) and he was doing his best to find all the camera time he could.

If he can get mentally right, I think the fumble issues and assignment issues can be corrected. This game, I felt he was conservative to start. He wanted to stay within the system and do what he was asked to do. You can tell he really wants to be here. There were several plays where he was just a step away from breaking a big run. I think that will come with time.

He still has room to grow, and like some have said, he was just on a practice squad for the Redskins last week. What he was asked to do is tough, but he did it. I think with more of a comfort zone, plus learning to run behind this particular OL and it's tendencies will make him even better.

Brown hit the hole similarly. Both were quick to the hole, Brown looked a step less explosive, but looked better in running guys over and knocking them backwards. I think both can break longer runs when more comfortable. I think they both compliment each other well, and if they can remain consistent and improve, it's going to be hell on opponents in the 4th quarter.

This makes me intrigued to see what Lynch has when he comes back. I'm literally giddy to see a stable of Lynch, Rawls and Michael. And if Lynch hangs em up, or the FO doesn't want to pay him 12 million next year, I'm curious to see what a stable of Rawls, Michael and Brown brings. That's a hell of a lot of explosion and toughness in 3 backs.

chris98251

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3sl0bd8c said:
My impression of CM is that he really wants to be here.

Well he spent time in Jerry's Mental institution then went to the Redskins and learned how everything can be done wrong, I think he has a new appreciation for where he started from.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
I don't think Micheals has the heart of a true bell cow back. I'm not saying he's not tough, cause I believe anyone who plays in the league is a tough SOB.

However, if you look at the great backs in the league. They run with a certain ferociousness in their steps. Like they know, this could the last run of their lives.

Micheals raw numbers are amazing, but he doesn't have that IT factor for a RB. I could end up being wrong about this and I hope I am.

OTOH, you know who's a tough runner? Tyler Lockett! A few more seasons of growth and some more muscle density and watch this kid run all over the league.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":ue9rdtrv said:
CHawk":ue9rdtrv said:
It seemed to me he was turning to much after hitting the hole, if the tackler was turning him is one thing but it looked like he did it almost every play. Straight on he should have had more yards.

Good grief CMike haters, 5+ YPC!! No fumbles, two hands on the ball in traffic. And many are still nitpicking him! To be precise, he averaged 5.3 YPC.

On the Seahawks-Browns TV coverage they showed some old dude named Jim Brown in the Browns booth. People say this J. Brown cat was the man for running backs in his day. I looked up J. Brown's stats and it turns out he only averaged 5.2 YPC for his career. So 5.3 YPC for CMike might not be such a bad performance. See http://www.nfl.com/player/jimbrown/2510380/careerstats

* Yes, I know who Jim Brown is. Just find it amusing that CMike gets dissected for flaws after 5+ YPC.

Comparing the best RB in the history to C-Mike :roll: . A career AVG of 5.2 when the whole team is loading up the box with 8 defenders is completely something else than having a RB avg 5.0 in 1 game with a QB who is playing on a legendary level. Too many variables to ever make such a straight comparison.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":27v379eo said:
olyfan63":27v379eo said:
CHawk":27v379eo said:
It seemed to me he was turning to much after hitting the hole, if the tackler was turning him is one thing but it looked like he did it almost every play. Straight on he should have had more yards.

Good grief CMike haters, 5+ YPC!! No fumbles, two hands on the ball in traffic. And many are still nitpicking him! To be precise, he averaged 5.3 YPC.

On the Seahawks-Browns TV coverage they showed some old dude named Jim Brown in the Browns booth. People say this J. Brown cat was the man for running backs in his day. I looked up J. Brown's stats and it turns out he only averaged 5.2 YPC for his career. So 5.3 YPC for CMike might not be such a bad performance. See http://www.nfl.com/player/jimbrown/2510380/careerstats

* Yes, I know who Jim Brown is. Just find it amusing that CMike gets dissected for flaws after 5+ YPC.

Comparing the best RB in the history to C-Mike :roll: . A career AVG of 5.2 when the whole team is loading up the box with 8 defenders is completely something else than having a RB avg 5.0 in 1 game with a QB who is playing on a legendary level. Too many variables to ever make such a straight comparison.

Add to this that teams threw a lot less back then. It was ALL about the run in those days. Also, Brown only wore shoulder pads. No knee pads, no thigh pads. He was a stud.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Tical21":3hafo3zj said:
We just played against a team that plays 8 in the box consistently and still finds a way to be really close to the bottom of the league in run defense. I like Michael, always have, but this performance was more of a first step in the right direction type deal than it was a "heyyy, maybe he's really good" kind of deal.

Oh, I agree and I think the true litmus tests are STL and AZ. That said, who else has rung up 180 yards on the ground against the Browns this year ? With 2 RB's that weren't even on NFL squads a week ago ? There is give and take to that argument.

The one thing I like about CMike is that 2nd gif from Hawknation. The toss to CMike. He's really the only RB that gets 8 yards on that pitch with that defense. Rawls turns that corner but the DE/OLB on that side gets him in 5. Michaels gets all the way around the corner, then ends up being funneled to the sidelines where the CB is getting blocked by the WR. He's the most exposive and fastest RB we have. There's definitely value to that.

Of course Rawls still finds someone to hit on that play. I love that kid.

Jville

Reaction score
This year has been a needed opportunity for personal growth. He has been traded, cut, claimed, cut again and now resigned by his original team for a second opportunity. He knows any tail wind from his previous draft status and past college and workout performances have died. There is no room for allusions of greatness or self absorption. What is important is the team and winning .... one day at a time .... one task at a time.

Christine Michael has a second opportunity to build an excellent career in Seattle. He is on the right team with all the support need to develop his craft. And although he hasn't done anything yet, he could develop into a good story.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
He still can't run with the ball in his left arm. Even on the pitch where he is running outside and has plenty of time to secure it with his outside (left) arm, he doesn't. He keeps it on the inside (right) arm. If he tries that against the Rams, I can almost guarantee he will get his second NFL regular season fumble.

Given that this is an odd play for us to run, I can't help but think it was called specifically to see how he would carry the ball.

If he can't master this most basic of ball security rules, I can't see Pete keeping him on board no matter how good he gets downfield.

Other than that, I thought he had a good outing.

-bsd

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Anyone know what he is doing with his left arm in the fourth third gif? He gets partway into the run and then points up into the air.

Can't tell if he missed a stiff arm, was trying to direct blockers, or started celebrating half way into the run.

HeftyFeistyHummingbird.gif

-bsd

rideaducati

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":20nllxhk said:
olyfan63":20nllxhk said:
CHawk":20nllxhk said:

Gotta start somewhere. Michael only has to get right in the head and learn to carry the ball in his left hand when running left before we really get to see what he can do.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bigskydoc":13htyl64 said:
Anyone know what he is doing with his left arm in the fourth gif? He gets partway into the run and then points up into the air.

Can't tell if he missed a stiff arm, was trying to direct blockers, or started celebrating half way into the run.

-bsd
Looks like a misplaced stiff arm and then he "supermans" over the defender for an additional four yards.

It helps that Britt and Sweezy each pancaked their man.

QueasyImpishArawana

sutz

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3b6qoa3f said:
bigskydoc":3b6qoa3f said:
Anyone know what he is doing with his left arm in the fourth gif? He gets partway into the run and then points up into the air.

-bsd
Looks like a misplaced stiff arm and then he "supermans" over the defender for an additional four yards.

It helps that Britt and Sweezy each pancaked their man.

QueasyImpishArawana
I don't know about a stiff arm, but it does kind of look like he is pushing off there.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
My bad. Meant the 3rd video I guess. This is the one I was wondering about

Right as the hole opens up, he points into the air.

-bsd

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Ahh. You are right. I am traveling, and only have a phone to watch on. Still should have picked that up.

-bsd

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I thought he ran pretty hard . And gave it his all out there . Was not mad at the effort on Sunday not one bit.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
He's still obviously one of the best overall athletes out there. That SPARQ score doesn't lie and if he can start to put it together then all the better.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3ked2mjx said:
My bad. Meant the 3rd video I guess. This is the one I was wondering about

Right as the hole opens up, he points into the air.

-bsd

hawknation2015":3ked2mjx said:
It's the same play from a forward angle:
QueasyImpishArawana

It looks like he does it for balance. It took me a while to figure out where in the head-on video it happens (it's later than I thought). But you can see it looks like he loses his balance just a little bit and throws his arm out to try and correct.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3qxvr99w said:
Given that this is an odd play for us to run, I can't help but think it was called specifically to see how he would carry the ball.
-bsd

Snowballs chance that play was a test. They have hours of practice to know he's not gonna switch hands at this point.