Thoughts on Christine Michael??

olyfan63

Reaction score
Dizzlepdx":1c0rjg5r said:
bigskydoc":1c0rjg5r said:
Given that this is an odd play for us to run, I can't help but think it was called specifically to see how he would carry the ball.
-bsd

Snowballs chance that play was a test. They have hours of practice to know he's not gonna switch hands at this point.

1000% agree. I believe the coaching staff has chosen not to focus on changing that part of his game at this time. They probably feel the ball is more secure, *FOR CMIKE* carrying it in his right hand.

Hell, I was a running back in middle school and I was coached to put the ball in the outside hand from the very beginning, and so I always did. Hard to imagine how a pro RB could go through years of coaching at lower levels and not get this habit drilled into him.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If you know he is never going to hold the ball in his left hand, then why call a pitch out to the left to him? It's an extremely rare play for us to run, although it is more of a CM type of play than a Lynch/Rawls type of play.

This is a game where the coaching staff came right out and said they were evaluating our "new" crop of running backs. I don't see why they wouldn't have said, "let's see if this kid has done anything about his bad habit of carrying exclusively in the right arm" while planning their evaluation. It's the perfect play to test that as he gets the ball well before any risk of contact in a situation where he clearly should be carrying the ball in his left hand.

-bsd

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bigskydoc":wdjgdxzn said:
If you know he is never going to hold the ball in his left hand, then why call a pitch out to the left to him? It's an extremely rare play for us to run, although it is more of a CM type of play than a Lynch/Rawls type of play.

This is a game where the coaching staff came right out and said they were evaluating our "new" crop of running backs. I don't see why they wouldn't have said, "let's see if this kid has done anything about his bad habit of carrying exclusively in the right arm" while planning their evaluation. It's the perfect play to test that as he gets the ball well before any risk of contact in a situation where he clearly should be carrying the ball in his left hand.

-bsd

They just wanted the first down. Getting Michael on the outside with a quick flip was a good way to do that in that situation, because the DE was keying on Russell.

AdorableShallowDormouse.gif

What a nice, efficient flip of the ball by Russell. I could watch this all day.

kujohawk

Reaction score
That was a pretty toss play. He should have the ball in his left hand but the way he swings that left arm around while he runs makes me think he just runs right handed sorta. Like he can't run corectly with the ball in his left hand or something. But he beat the defense to the edge and ducked out behind the receiver who was blocking so the ball was ok anyway. He ran hard all day I thought he did pretty good for himself.

I hope he can keep it up. The team really needs some kind of running game to click. I about cried when Rawls went down and I can't imagine Lynch with a hole in his gut healing up that fast

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawks46":dl2jh0qw said:
ApnaHawk":dl2jh0qw said:
olyfan63":dl2jh0qw said:
CHawk":dl2jh0qw said:
It seemed to me he was turning to much after hitting the hole, if the tackler was turning him is one thing but it looked like he did it almost every play. Straight on he should have had more yards.

Good grief CMike haters, 5+ YPC!! No fumbles, two hands on the ball in traffic. And many are still nitpicking him! To be precise, he averaged 5.3 YPC.

On the Seahawks-Browns TV coverage they showed some old dude named Jim Brown in the Browns booth. People say this J. Brown cat was the man for running backs in his day. I looked up J. Brown's stats and it turns out he only averaged 5.2 YPC for his career. So 5.3 YPC for CMike might not be such a bad performance. See http://www.nfl.com/player/jimbrown/2510380/careerstats

* Yes, I know who Jim Brown is. Just find it amusing that CMike gets dissected for flaws after 5+ YPC.

Comparing the best RB in the history to C-Mike :roll: . A career AVG of 5.2 when the whole team is loading up the box with 8 defenders is completely something else than having a RB avg 5.0 in 1 game with a QB who is playing on a legendary level. Too many variables to ever make such a straight comparison.

Add to this that teams threw a lot less back then. It was ALL about the run in those days. Also, Brown only wore shoulder pads. No knee pads, no thigh pads. He was a stud.
And add to this his QB was Frank Ryan, below average even for his day. Ryan was not Unitus, not Starr, not Dawson, not Namath, hell, not even Roman Gabriel.

As I said on the Gameday Forum, if you saw Jim Brown play and have been watching football since, you flat out know he's the greatest to ever put cleats on. Ever.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The point was that going to great lengths to dog and critique CMike's play should be kept in perspective. Jim Brown is obviously the best RB to ever play the game. (Dickerson in his prime wasn't too bad either, ditto for the murderer).
CMike also has 1 fumble in about 90 carries as a Seahawk.

Approx 5 YPC career average (as a Seahawk) and 1 fumble in 90ish carries is a decent body of work. Is he in the same convo with Jim Brown HELL NO. Do his stats and history thus far show he is a good option to hand it off to on any given play in the flow of the Seahawks offense, the answer so far seems to be HELL YES.

Watching him in preseason, CMike seemed to be really trying on pass protection. Watch some of his college highlights and he seems to make a decent effort at blocking for Johnny Manziel and the other QBs at A&M.

The only-right-hand carry thing is hella baffling; anyone know if Pete has ever commented on this? I was just super happy to seem him wrapping up the ball with TWO HANDS in traffic, i.e., giving mental and physical priority to ball security.

The other really pleasant surprise in this situation is that CMike was smart enough to NOT burn any bridges in leaving the Seahawks, and it's clear to see the guys on the team are happy to see him back with the team.

The other thing that is puzzling about CMike is his historic lack of role, as far as I can tell, on Special Teams. We all know how important Special Teams are to Pete. Kelcie McCray 5th round pick important. Why isn't/hasn't CMike been heavily involved on Special Teams for the Hawks, anyone know? Beaten out for ST by Sherm and Earl, lol?

rideaducati

Reaction score
olyfan63":127l10mo said:
The point was that going to great lengths to dog and critique CMike's play should be kept in perspective. Jim Brown is obviously the best RB to ever play the game. (Dickerson in his prime wasn't too bad either, ditto for the murderer).

Approx 5 YPC career average (as a Seahawk) and 1 fumble in 90ish carries is a decent body of work. Is he in the same convo with Jim Brown HELL NO. Do his stats and history thus far show he is a good option to hand it off to on any given play in the flow of the Seahawks offense, the answer so far seems to be HELL YES.

Watching him in preseason, CMike seemed to be really trying on pass protection. Watch some of his college highlights and he seems to make a decent effort at blocking for Johnny Manziel and the other QBs at A&M.

The only-right-hand carry thing is hella baffling; anyone know if Pete has ever commented on this? I was just super happy to seem him wrapping up the ball with TWO HANDS in traffic, i.e., giving mental and physical priority to ball security.

The other really pleasant surprise in this situation is that CMike was smart enough to NOT burn any bridges in leaving the Seahawks, and it's clear to see the guys on the team are happy to see him back with the team.

The other thing that is puzzling about CMike is his historic lack of role, as far as I can tell, on Special Teams. We all know how important Special Teams are to Pete. Kelcie McCray 5th round pick important. Why isn't/hasn't CMike been heavily involved on Special Teams for the Hawks, anyone know? Beaten out for ST by Sherm and Earl, lol?

Michael has a lot more than one fumble in his ninety carries. He has recovered his own fumbles on multiple occasions and only had ninety carries because of his fumbling in preseason games where fumbles don't count.

As far as not playing on special teams, my bet is the fumbling issue combined with the right hand carrying. Add in that running backs take enough hits during the game and there might be enough evidence to come to a very reasonable reasoning.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Michael looks like a monster today. Anyone want to change their opinion now?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It took getting cut multiple times to finally get it.I sure was against CM and I wasn't wrong nor was anyone else.He's finally playing like the RB he should have been.He gets credit for a couple good games,keep it going and you get to keep your job.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
olyfan63":2r3yk8zj said:

It is the Golden Tate effect. Golden relied on his athleticism for the first few years, and didn't put much effort in route running or blocking. They needed him to "buy in". When he finally did he looked great. I feel the same way about Cmike, I think he thought the same with being a high draft pick and having the athleticism to just roll into a starting role. The starting role was going to be hard to get anyways with a healthy Marshawn, he had a chance early in the season and was beaten out by Rawls. Cmike needs to keep the desire burning or his chances to stay in the NFL will flame out.

Ozzy

Reaction score
IndyHawk":338k9a7k said:
It took getting cut multiple times to finally get it.I sure was against CM and I wasn't wrong nor was anyone else.He's finally playing like the RB he should have been.He gets credit for a couple good games,keep it going and you get to keep your job.
Even tho I've been an apologist for Michael I totally get why people didn't buy in. Regardless he looks much better now and let's hope he can continue it into the playoffs.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He does look like a better runner and I hope keeps doing it as well

formido

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1b57ho2y said:

You were wrong. For us Michael backers, our question was always what would Michael do with a starting back's touches. This is what we expected to happen, and it did. He looks EXACTLY the same as he did all last year, when he averaged 5 ypc and gained that average almost entirely on short yardage situations. He had a league average fumble rate in real games. He always covered up with both hands. As always, everyone can cherry pick the evidence to confirm their biases.

Rawls is still better and Carroll said Michael was cut for Rawls.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
formido":13gxfe5m said:
IndyHawk":13gxfe5m said:

You were wrong. For us Michael backers, our question was always what would Michael do with a starting back's touches. This is what we expected to happen, and it did. He looks EXACTLY the same as he did all last year, when he averaged 5 ypc and gained that average almost entirely on short yardage situations. He had a league average fumble rate in real games. He always covered up with both hands. As always, everyone can cherry pick the evidence to confirm their biases.

Rawls is still better and Carroll said Michael was cut for Rawls.

Not quite the same. Did you notice the way he grabbed the ball on his big run. He made damn sure that thing was not coming out. I think that was the ghost of Pete in his head. I feel he has been a bit humbled and that what was probably needed. I would love to believe that he will continue to improve and be solid for us. If so I like the idea of Rawls as our #1 and Cmike in at fill in role. Different backs wearing our defenses different ways.

sutz

Reaction score
IndyHawk":208lbvl2 said:
He does look like a better runner and I hope keeps doing it as well
It showed on that first long run. When it came too it, he put both arms on the ball and took the tackle, rather than going all loosey goosey trying for the TD and putting ball security at risk. That was smart football from a guy who knows he has limitations and worked to protect them.

He is a smarter, more motivated player now. Much more so than he was before. He may not make this team next season, but he's showing some things to prospective teams for next season. I for one, would love to see him in camp next year and put him in 'may the best man win' mode. I maybe wouldn't go multi-year contract on him just yet, but I would offer a decent 'prove it' deal to him. Especially if Marshawn hangs it up after this year, the new improved Michael and Rawls sounds like a nice tandem to take into camp next year.

olyfan63

Reaction score
rideaducati":3hikj9zv said:
olyfan63":3hikj9zv said:

Michael has a lot more than one fumble in his ninety carries. He has recovered his own fumbles on multiple occasions and only had ninety carries because of his fumbling in preseason games where fumbles don't count.

As far as not playing on special teams, my bet is the fumbling issue combined with the right hand carrying. Add in that running backs take enough hits during the game and there might be enough evidence to come to a very reasonable reasoning.

Really? CMike has a bunch of fumbles that weren't recorded?
All I could find was this ESPN stats site that says Michael has 1 fumble in 90 NFL carries.
Exactly when did all these "fumbles" by CMike occur that you're talking about? What games?
I'll be happy to email ESPN and help them correct their stats with your more accurate info if you've got the goods.
Hell, maybe some game statisticians should be disciplined for not properly recording his fumbles.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/i ... ne-michael

He didn't fumble today, so it would be about 1 fumble in 100+ carries.
He averaged 6 YPC today so that should push his average up to the high 4-almost-5 YPC for the season.

For special teams, I didn't mean as a returner necessarily; I meant as a cover guy. Maybe he can't tackle. Or maybe he takes bad angles to the ball, has trouble doing his job, etc. It's hard for bottom-of-the-roster guys to stick on a Pete Carroll team without being an asset on special teams.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hey, this Christine Michael fellow could be the next Derrick Fenner! Oops, only one sorta good year, then jail... uh, maybe the next Chris Warren?

naholmes

Reaction score
Michael was superb yesterday and was a big reason why the Hawks won. He forced 5 missed tackles on only 17 carries and averaged nearly 6 yards after contact. It sure was a long wait for him to break out but it couldn't have come at a better time.

On a side note, I wish he would lose that gold chain. I swear he would have taken that long run to the house if he didn't have 5 pounds of gold flopping around his neck.