Thoughts on the upcoming game

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Mr. Rodgers neighborhood will be ransacked, Mr. Rodgers will in the land of "make believers" that our Hawks rule!!

Wartooth

Reaction score
All the Packers fans can say is that they aren't the same team that got mauled in week one...
But they are they same team that got it handed to them in Buffalo in week 15 with a healthy Erin!
Buffalo has a good defense, but are no where near the level that the Hawks are.
And with that pop gun offense in Buffalo, they still managed to beat the almighty Pack!
The media loves them some Erin, and the Pack in general.
It's the only thing preventing them from being truthful with themselves...
This will be a lopsided game.
But hey!
Erin is hurt right?
The excuse is already in place for the media and the Packer fans when they lose.
And we'll get to listen to them whine about that like they have the 'Fail Mary' for the last 3 years!

Timberhawk

Reaction score
I think, like most here if not all including many Pack fans:), that we should be able to run on them. Their defensive DVOA is a total of 18th in the league, but the Pack's rushing Defensive DVOA is 24th. Passing defense is 11th. I wouldn't mind seeing some more of the lining Bailey up as a tight end to give us another run blocker and just go at them saying, "Our strength against your weakness. Try and stop us." May open up some play action too.

Go Hawks!!

BullHawk33

Reaction score
For Packers to win, on offense they need to:

1) Get quick separation off the line and try to gain yards in the short passing routes. This is their best bet to get some yards after the catch which they will need to efficiently hit their 1st downs. They need the ball to come out quick. If they wait for the medium/long routes to develop, Rodgers will take too many hits and Seahawks will get picks.

2) Lean on Lacy to run the ball. They are going to have to win the time of possession battle by a large margin to have a shot versus a tired D and passes alone won't cut it. This will have to happen between the tackles to keep our ends honest and Green Bay knows if they try to stretch, we have the speed to push them to the sidelines.

3) Rodgers is going to have to be Johnny on the spot with his passes, throwing players open instead of waiting for the routes to develop. He's just about the best in the league at doing it, so it is in his toolbox. He can do it on 1 leg as we saw last week after 2 weeks of rest so even with 70% of Rodgers, he's still better than 27 of the starting QBs in the league.

The Seahawks success is all about tackling. We can't let ourselves hit without wrapping up. As much as we love the hits, we need them to be stopped while feeling the pain. Play the position game in the back end and we'll close on the short routes to stop them before they can accumulate 10, just like we have been doing. Nothing special, just need to stick to fundamentals.

For our offense, as many have said, our 2 headed monster will run the ball as much as possible and open up the big passing plays when the defense gives it away. Again, nothing magical here.

I'm confident we can win, but as always, that is if we play our game. It would take the Packers doing something extraordinarily unexpected and effective for them to take us off our game.

ptisme

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3dtl7k0k said:
Don't forget that the center for the Packers was as near a green as grass rookie as you can get, and Davante Adams (?spelling?) was not even the #3 WR then.

They have a couple of other WRs that were not producing then that have proven to be weapons too.

So it isn't just the loss of Mebane (which is huge).

Also Harvin was a huge benefit in that game, he was ripping their defense to pieces and forcing them to spread out - which opened up everyone else.

Should be a great game, but not a gimme by a long shot.
The only way I see the Packers beating you is that something will happen that none of us thought of... I remember last year we played the Bears on Monday night football and I couldn't conceive any possible way the Bears could win. Then Rodgers broke his collar bone in the first quarter. You just never know sometimes what can happen....

ptisme

Reaction score
Wartooth":2ye5suh3 said:
All the Packers fans can say is that they aren't the same team that got mauled in week one...
But they are they same team that got it handed to them in Buffalo in week 15 with a healthy Erin!
And with that pop gun offense in Buffalo, they still managed to beat the almighty Pack!
But hey!
Erin is hurt right?
The excuse is already in place for the media and the Packer fans when they lose.
And we'll get to listen to them whine about that like they have the 'Fail Mary' for the last 3 years!
This is an example of a fan who doesn't know how to act like he's been there. In your franchise existence you finally have a good (great) team and you don't know how to handle yourself with an ounce of class.

ptisme

Reaction score
Timberhawk":hvma61b7 said:
I think, like most here if not all including many Pack fans:), that we should be able to run on them. Their defensive DVOA is a total of 18th in the league, but the Pack's rushing Defensive DVOA is 24th. Passing defense is 11th. I wouldn't mind seeing some more of the lining Bailey up as a tight end to give us another run blocker and just go at them saying, "Our strength against your weakness. Try and stop us." May open up some play action too.

Go Hawks!!
This will be interesting. Unlike Seattle, GB can't just line up four and commit everyone else to the pass. I think GB has the corners to stay competitive on the outside if they commit 8 to stopping the run and getting to Wilson. I actually think GB needs to spy a safety on Wilson and let their pass rushers try to get to him quickly.

ptisme

Reaction score
BullHawk33":3sli8ytj said:
For Packers to win, on offense they need to:

1) Get quick separation off the line and try to gain yards in the short passing routes. This is their best bet to get some yards after the catch which they will need to efficiently hit their 1st downs. They need the ball to come out quick. If they wait for the medium/long routes to develop, Rodgers will take too many hits and Seahawks will get picks.

2) Lean on Lacy to run the ball. They are going to have to win the time of possession battle by a large margin to have a shot versus a tired D and passes alone won't cut it. This will have to happen between the tackles to keep our ends honest and Green Bay knows if they try to stretch, we have the speed to push them to the sidelines.

3) Rodgers is going to have to be Johnny on the spot with his passes, throwing players open instead of waiting for the routes to develop. He's just about the best in the league at doing it, so it is in his toolbox. He can do it on 1 leg as we saw last week after 2 weeks of rest so even with 70% of Rodgers, he's still better than 27 of the starting QBs in the league.

The Seahawks success is all about tackling. We can't let ourselves hit without wrapping up. As much as we love the hits, we need them to be stopped while feeling the pain. Play the position game in the back end and we'll close on the short routes to stop them before they can accumulate 10, just like we have been doing. Nothing special, just need to stick to fundamentals.

For our offense, as many have said, our 2 headed monster will run the ball as much as possible and open up the big passing plays when the defense gives it away. Again, nothing magical here.

I'm confident we can win, but as always, that is if we play our game. It would take the Packers doing something extraordinarily unexpected and effective for them to take us off our game.
I think number 2 will be the key. Green Bay ran at will on teams (even Detroit) down the stretch because their OLINE played together and the rookie center turned into a mauler.... Lacy must make you commit a safety.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
ptisme":17nq2wl5 said:
I think number 2 will be the key. Green Bay ran at will on teams (even Detroit) down the stretch because their OLINE played together and the rookie center turned into a mauler.... Lacy must make you commit a safety.

The last game we played versus the pack, when Lacy was hit by Kam, the hit that knocked Lacy out. I had thought that Kam actually got the worse end of that. Those two are going to have some contact. Detroit is missing that physical strong safety that matches Kam's tenacity. Idedigbo is 6'1", 217. Kam is 6'3" 232, quite a bit faster and more dangerous.

Lacy is a load and I think we're better off with Chancellor and Wagner as opposed to what you faced with Detroit's Whitehead and Ihedigbo. You are right, you did run at will against Detroit that last game. Your run/pass balance was heavy on the run side. Frankly, I would feel pretty good walking Kam closer to the box, focusing on taking away the run while the rest of the LOB handles the receivers, especially early in the game when GB wants to establish the run.

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Regardless of the outcome. I am confident that ARod will struggle against our defense. It's built to match up to these pass offenses. I'm not even going to worry about Eddy Lacy and their run game.

Packers is a great team. It all depends on how our offense does. If they do poor, it will be a low scoring game and a last possession drive will seal it for whoever has it in the end. If our offense does well, I believe this game will be low for Packers (10-17 pts) vs to our (21-30+) score. That's my prediction. This game depends on how much our offense can move the ball. Wilson is balling right now, but I can also see him not being able to move the ball and resulting in FG's over TD's.

But put all predictions aside, the best way is to just watch the game and see the outcome. Go Hawks! #injuryfree

taco40

Reaction score
12thManNorth":1wual1wq said:
am I the only one that didn't think our pass rush was that bad against Carolina ? I saw us flushing out Newton numerous times. Yea we didn't get the sack numbers but I think if we would've played a less mobile QB our numbers would've looked quite a bit better
Nope, I, too, thought Newton was on the lookout for being hit often. Rodgers doesn't have the mobility, he's going to have to get rid of it quickly or it's going to be a long afternoon.

ptisme

Reaction score
BullHawk33":2dwuhufx said:
ptisme":2dwuhufx said:

The last game we played versus the pack, when Lacy was hit by Kam, the hit that knocked Lacy out. I had thought that Kam actually got the worse end of that. Those two are going to have some contact. Detroit is missing that physical strong safety that matches Kam's tenacity. Idedigbo is 6'1", 217. Kam is 6'3" 232, quite a bit faster and more dangerous.

Lacy is a load and I think we're better off with Chancellor and Wagner as opposed to what you faced with Detroit's Whitehead and Ihedigbo. You are right, you did run at will against Detroit that last game. Your run/pass balance was heavy on the run side. Frankly, I would feel pretty good walking Kam closer to the box, focusing on taking away the run while the rest of the LOB handles the receivers, especially early in the game when GB wants to establish the run.
Yep. Probably a good idea.... Kam is a beast. How the heck did he last till the fifth round?

ptisme

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":1tlv6c2i said:
Regardless of the outcome. I am confident that ARod will struggle against our defense. It's built to match up to these pass offenses. I'm not even going to worry about Eddy Lacy and their run game.

Packers is a great team. It all depends on how our offense does. If they do poor, it will be a low scoring game and a last possession drive will seal it for whoever has it in the end. If our offense does well, I believe this game will be low for Packers (10-17 pts) vs to our (21-30+) score. That's my prediction. This game depends on how much our offense can move the ball. Wilson is balling right now, but I can also see him not being able to move the ball and resulting in FG's over TD's.

But put all predictions aside, the best way is to just watch the game and see the outcome. Go Hawks! #injuryfree
I can't disagree with any of this though I would tell you that the Packer Oline at this stage of the season is healthy and better than Carolina's. Lacy is better than Tolbert et al. Our three receivers are a better combined group than Carolina's. Not sure if a hobbled Rodgers can be better than Cam N... But if Dallas and Carolina put up 30 on you GB is very capable...

BullHawk33

Reaction score
ptisme":14o51947 said:
I can't disagree with any of this though I would tell you that the Packer Oline at this stage of the season is healthy and better than Carolina's. Lacy is better than Tolbert et al. Our three receivers are a better combined group than Carolina's. Not sure if a hobbled Rodgers can be better than Cam N... But if Dallas and Carolina put up 30 on you GB is very capable...

I think you meant to say Chargers that put up 30, not Carolina. Carolina put up 9 and 17 in the two games.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I think that Simon is getting a bad rap for playing basically exactly how he was supposed. Simon did not get exploited and did not have a "bad" game.

I think that if people think the Hawks have the same gameplan installed for the defense against GB that they did against Carolina, then they are wrong. The DL's job was to contain Cam Newton. I'm assuming against GB, they pin their ears back and will rush Rodgers.

ptisme

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3leaf7iu said:
I think that Simon is getting a bad rap for playing basically exactly how he was supposed. Simon did not get exploited and did not have a "bad" game.

I think that if people think the Hawks have the same gameplan installed for the defense against GB that they did against Carolina, then they are wrong. The DL's job was to contain Cam Newton. I'm assuming against GB, they pin their ears back and will rush Rodgers.
Agreed. I think there is a very real chance my guy (Rodgers) leaves that stadium on a stretcher...

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Right.. ARodg is just pullin' an Al Czervik

[youtube]P_wy8ebqKbA[/youtube]

DrDix

Reaction score
ptisme":byds68xl said:
Wartooth":byds68xl said:
But hey!
Erin is hurt right?
This is an example of a fan who doesn't know how to act like he's been there. In your franchise existence you finally have a good (great) team and you don't know how to handle yourself with an ounce of class.

Lol. Grow up, you think this is bad?

Tell me how what this franchise has done in the past is relevant right now. (here's a clue!!!! it's not)

What do you expect from an opposing teams fanbase on a message board? All roses and daisies I guess. Guess you're used to that with Erin.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Holmgren is in an interesting position to be well informed about both teams. That said, throwing on 1st down, running on 2nd and 3rd down isn't exactly new or innovative. Seahawks tend to match personnel up pretty well and not just rotate based on down and distance as Holmgren's strategy demands. If the Packers roll out 10, 11, 20 or 21 personnel groups, that is what the Seahawks will match. The 10 grouping especially (1 back, 4 WR) will see that we end up in our "nickel" D he refers to and the Packers would pretty much have to stay in that set in order to leverage it in the run game.

I just don't see the same mismatch Holmgren does, maybe that is why he's the coach or maybe it is simply the best chance the Packers have.