Thoughts on the upcoming game

netskier

Reaction score
DrDix, I agree with ptisme that the remark was classless, and for this reason I think it should be moved to the shack.

Not only that, but it seems that classless remarks have caused us to lose Kearly's Random Thoughts.

netskier

Reaction score
I truly believe that classless remarks have turned this forum into a Tragedy of the Commons. It is as if Raiders fans have become Seahawks fans.

NINEster

Reaction score
Wartooth":3k1gmf44 said:
All the Packers fans can say is that they aren't the same team that got mauled in week one...
But they are they same team that got it handed to them in Buffalo in week 15 with a healthy Erin!
Buffalo has a good defense, but are no where near the level that the Hawks are.
And with that pop gun offense in Buffalo, they still managed to beat the almighty Pack!
The media loves them some Erin, and the Pack in general.
It's the only thing preventing them from being truthful with themselves...
This will be a lopsided game.
But hey!
Erin is hurt right?
The excuse is already in place for the media and the Packer fans when they lose.
And we'll get to listen to them whine about that like they have the 'Fail Mary' for the last 3 years!

I'll say that a healthy Rodgers and this game in Lambeau, and it's a very tight game and winnable for Green Bay. I feel that Green Bay is overrated by the media but underrated by NFC West fans.

We've yet to see Packers/Seahawks at Lambeau. I believe we will next season.

vonstout

Reaction score
I think we will see Cobb in the backfield a lot along with 3-4 WR sets. They are going to try to have plays where Rodgers can get rid of the ball fast. If we don't have Maxwell, I think it could cause us problems because we are going to need the dime package on the field a lot and without him, we'll be thin at CB.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Really my only concern is about simon if maxwell isn't back in. Gotta stop the run and get pressure on an immobile Rodgers, and I think we will, but still, Rodgers will pick Simons side of the field apart.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
NFL network just said that the packers are comming in late Thursday to acclimate. Is that unusual?

akscoundrel

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2lnf7r87 said:
NFL network just said that the packers are comming in late Thursday to acclimate. Is that unusual?

Not unusual to travel early to get the plane ride/jet lag behind you and get rested and ready. Beyond that tho, acclimate to what? The warmer weather lol?

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2959xjt8 said:
I think the Hill injury was pretty obvious through out the NC game.. We were able to absorb the Mebane injury somewhat with Hill, but we seem to be at the end of our coffers.
This is EXACTLY my feeling too. Our D is really hurt by the loss of Hill. I have a feeling it gets exploited. I want to be cocky and confident, but I am NOT.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
netskier":rsi9dvu2 said:
I truly believe that classless remarks have turned this forum into a Tragedy of the Commons. It is as if Raiders fans have become Seahawks fans.

why dont you make a football comment then

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1cufwl3o said:
Bobblehead":1cufwl3o said:
I think the Hill injury was pretty obvious through out the NC game.. We were able to absorb the Mebane injury somewhat with Hill, but we seem to be at the end of our coffers.
This is EXACTLY my feeling too. Our D is really hurt by the loss of Hill. I have a feeling it gets exploited. I want to be cocky and confident, but I am NOT.

I can understand that view entirely. I would share the same concerns if the Seahawks LBers were not good tacklers (and they are exceptional tacklers) Carolina had some success with a very active Stewart, but that was really related to the threat of Newton. The way the defense plays this running game will be a lot different, they were never really beat by the Panther's running game either, but it kept the attention of the defense.

I expect Kevin Williams to have a HUGE game with a chance to make it to his first Super Bowl before retiring.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
netskier":2vd24wg4 said:

Been around long enough to know have you?

Why is it that many of the members that over-analyze the pulse of .net also seem to have barely scratched the surface of actual participation themselves? Could there be a little hocus-trollcus?

The sensors have been triggered.

marko358

Reaction score
netskier":3tt5doo9 said:
As an actual Raider fan, I take offense. :D

hawknation2015

Reaction score
James Carpenter vs. Mike Daniels is an intriguing individual matchup. Carpenter had his best game to that point in his career against Green Bay in the opener, dominating Daniels in all phases. Daniels, for his part, had one of the single worst games of his career. He has played much better over the last month and a half, while Carpenter's play has seemingly regressed, in part due to injury.

Cliff Avril vs. David Bakhtiari is another key matchup. Avril got the better of Bakhtiari in the opener. He also did serious damage on 3rd downs while rushing from the other side of the line. Bakhtiari has been solid in pass pro but struggles as a run blocker. Avril's quickness off the ball and violent use of hands could again prove to be mismatch.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1fz73g1b said:
Don't forget that the center for the Packers was as near a green as grass rookie as you can get, and Davante Adams (?spelling?) was not even the #3 WR then.

They have a couple of other WRs that were not producing then that have proven to be weapons too.

So it isn't just the loss of Mebane (which is huge).

Also Harvin was a huge benefit in that game, he was ripping their defense to pieces and forcing them to spread out - which opened up everyone else.

Should be a great game, but not a gimme by a long shot.
Our RT was green

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good observations on their line.

I want to say Bahktiari (or however you spell it) is their LT while Bulaga is their RT. Bulaga is solid, but he has problems with speed guys. This was the guy Irvin was abusing his rookie year; he doesn't have the quickest kick step and he has short arms. I think Avril or Irvin will have a good game against him, especially with the step they get at the CLink.

I haven't heard about Maxwell recently, but a few days ago, didn't Pete say Max was just sick and would be ready to go this game ? With Max in, I'm not worried about the matchups; their WRs will get some, but we will limit them and they won't gash us badly. If Rodgers is going to challenge Sherman, he better make it short, back shoulder throws. Sherm has been driving on the ball really well lately, and I noticed last game that Rodgers didn't have a lot of zip on his ball over 15 yards (understandably).

I don't see them killing us with the run, although I'm not up on the whole "our OL has gelled better and we run on everyone now" theory. They've never been able to run on us, and I don't see it now, but I also won't discount it entirely. I think that if they have any chance to win, they have to establish the run.

I think the biggest mismatch will be with our offense vs. their defense. We're going to run on them. Lynch's carries have been slightly limited the last couple games (we've seen more Turbin than we used to) so I think he's going to be well rested and used a lot, since our next game has a 2 week layoff. The other problem they're going to have is that they've never played well against running QBs. Wilson is great at this because (unlike Kaepernick) he only used the run as a wrinkle. When he does use it, he usually gashes you.

The other nice thing about Wilson is that he usually saves his running for the 2nd half. This gives the offense an entirely new wrinkle that the defense hasn't been looking for after the first half. Between Wilson and Lynch, I honestly think we're going to have 150 yards rushing. That also plays into our passing game perfectly.

ptisme

Reaction score
Seattle playing vanilla wins this game 19 of 20 times at the Link. Green Bay needs to step outside the box and attack. Maybe that means going jumbo on offense and pounding Lacy. Maybe it means spreading Seattle out and putting the game on Rodgers.
On defense, our weakness is we're light on the D'line. But we have good DB's and rushing the passer is a team strength. So put your DB's on an island and go all in with a pass rush. Use a safety (Burnett) to spy Wilson. Wilson is going to burn us anyways so you might as well hit him. Maybe he gets hurt. Maybe he throws a pick. But we can't let Wilson sit there and destroy us all day without making him pay a bit....

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3hxt659i said:
It's the interior D that I'm worried about. They weren't good on rush or pass D. Cam had a LOT of room to look downfield.

Which scares the hell out of me, cause Cam's inaccurate, but Rodgers is not.

Different QB's call for different pass rush techniques and I wouldn't put much stock in the game plan and execution against Carolina as predictive of what we will see against Green Bay. Against a Cam Newton, you need a balanced pass rush. Against a healthy Rodgers you can get away with a little less balance. Against a gimped up Rodgers, well he ain't going to burn you with his legs so you don't have to worry about balance on the rush.

Cam has a good arm, but elite legs. You have to respect his ability to run for big gains when he gets the chance. The last thing you want to do against a running QB is let your interior pressure get ahead of the pressure coming of the edges. This flattens the pocket causing the QB to squirt out to one side or the other where there are fewer defenders to keep him from making a big play. You also don't want to leave any big holes for him to run up the gut (ala Kaepernick in the first half of last year's NFCCG). If you keep him contained in the pocket, he can't get outside and his only options for big plays are either running through two levels of defenders in the middle of the field or passing.

A gimped up Aaron Rodgers is only going to beat you with his arm. He has gone from a mobile (not a running) QB to a pocket passer. Of course, he is a pretty dang good pocket passer. The pocket is the friend of the pocket passer and the faster you collapse it the better. He will have two choices when the pressure comes, throw it away or throw for a completion because he can't make the plays with his legs like he normally would.

Now I don't know for certain what the game plan was last week, but I would be willing to bet that it involved the interior guys holding position and staying partially disengaged so they could react to Newton while waiting for the edge guys to apply the pressure. We won't have those same issues to deal with and all four can bring the pressure at will. Now, if we see a lack of interior pressure this game, I will be concerned.

- bsd RPA