Thurmond...

Seafan

Reaction score
As long as he's not in the NFC West. He's hoping for a payoff next year. Since all these guys got their ring their only need now is money. I don't expect any of them to stick around.

drdiags

Reaction score
Surprised to see him get a decent contract number but good on him. He is a good cover corner and can play the slot. He gave up a few passes but if he can stay healthy he can carve out a good, long career. He really needs to kick himself and learn from his past mistakes. He should at least had a multi-year contract, with a base a little less than Verner got.

I expect good things for him in NY. For his sake, hopefully they don't find a reason to fail him on the physical. Take care WT3.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Giants? Not bad I wish we would have kept him. No excuse not to at that number but whatever it's obvious that JS/PC plan to go with existing depth nearly everywhere.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
CB Walter Thurmond's 1-year deal with the Giants is worth $3.5M.

Seriously, we couldn't do better than that?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1pp4v5ui said:

He has a history of leg injuries and he's one bad decision away from a 1-year suspension. I don't think PC/JS wanted him back.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1h8jcxtk said:

3.5 is pretty high for Thurmond IMO. We have people in place to replace him right now. Why hang on? Not to mention, dude is kinda crazy.

drdiags

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1162acdr said:

Why should you? The team wanted to pay Winfield $1M last year to be a slot corner. Unless you wanted to make WT3 a starter, why try to beat this? He is one failed drug test from a year's suspension. Talented, yes. Starter over Maxwell? Not cost effective.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1zsq5slg said:

The sky is falling. :sarcasm_off:

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2amykllz said:
Getting very thin at CB now. Going to have to add a CB or two in the Draft.

I think they are higher on the current in house talent than most of us are. Maxwell and Sherman are the starters, you have Lane as a quality back-up and slot guy, then after that the under study Tharold Simon and a couple of guys they are really high on - DeShawn Shead and Akeem Auguste, who has been pimped by Sherman more than once. And also the big guy (6'2" 220) they signed awhile back, Terrance Parks.

I agree, though...we will draft a CB. Just not sure where.

godawg

Reaction score
Maybe this is sending a message about suspensions as well -- if you risk the good of the team we will not pay you as well.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
And our depth takes another hit. I'm sorry because I want to be positive right now like others are, but losing almost every FA we have and not really doing anything to replace them is making me very upset.

Penman96

Reaction score
Reading between the lines, the good news is the 49'ers can't even afford to sign a corner the caliber of Thurmond, so secondary is possibly a huge weakness for them this year.

As for the Giants, it will take a lot more than WTIII to help that sorry mess of a team with a QB in decline. Best of luck to him in the future. Next man up, I'm sure we have better prospects in the ranks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A guy who recently was suspended, was average (#5 option on this team behind Sherm, Maxwell, Lane and Browner before he was done) at corner, and who played 34 games in 4 years. There's a reason he only got one year from the Giants, and too much $ at that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1sx0dq74 said:

Why?

Both Browner and Thurmond are poster children for "if you are oft injured and/or like to do drugs (PED's or otherwise) we will not spend much effort trying to resign you because there are 2-3 dudes just waiting to take your place that aren't problems.