Thursday Night Football a Preview of the team we play after

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
If we can have only half a good of game as what the Giants D are doing right now, we'll be fine. :D

hawk45

Reaction score
Cousins looked good early, but wow look at what he turns into with some pressure. :shock:

Wouldn't have lasted 3 games behind our line last season, let alone piloted the team to a ring. I love you Russ. :179417:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
This is so bad that we can be assured that on Monday the cheap shot Skins are going to be the dirtiest of the dirty.

They are going to have a long time to let this loss fester.

HawkWow

Reaction score
^ I'd never heard that. We had drafted RW in the previous rd. Can't imagine Cousins getting too pissed about anything, really. But he better lose the passive, docile 'tude in a big hurry if he's going to make it in the NFL. He won't be the first young QB to stink it up, but his body language suggests his head is somewhere else right now. Better snap out of it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Cousins was pissed about a dozen teams didn't draft him. Getting drafted the same year, same team as RGKnee had to just plain suck.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3o9ddks7 said:
This is so bad that we can be assured that on Monday the cheap shot Skins are going to be the dirtiest of the dirty.

They are going to have a long time to let this loss fester.
Yeah, this is the worst possible result for us.Washington is bad really bad. And with the bad blood between us? We just need to get out healthy at this point.

OrFan

Reaction score
Cousins reminds me of Matt Flynn part two.

Next week will be interesting.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
Just saw this on Twitter:

6.5% of all INTs in the NFL this year have been thrown by Kirk Cousins.

Let that sink in for a bit lol. :shock:

He is what he is. The "he's better than RG3" narrative was amusing to me, considering last year with 4+ games Cousins was God awful. I knew he would come back to earth.

BybSi 8IQAAegkC

HawkWow

Reaction score
Scottemojo":4l8xdj3z said:
Cousins was pissed about a dozen teams didn't draft him. Getting drafted the same year, same team as RGKnee had to just plain suck.

Well sure. He was likely pissed 32 teams didn't draft him...3, sometimes 4 x each. But you actually saw quotes where he came out and said he was pissed a particular team, like us, didn't draft him? No doubt he wasn't happy going in the 4th, and he shouldn't have been, but he's never been the demonstrative type. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'd sure like to see those quotes.

HawkWow

Reaction score
huskylawyer":9hp0u7k0 said:

He is what he is. The "he's better than RG3" narrative was amusing to me, considering last year with 4+ games Cousins was God awful. I knew he would come back to earth.

BybSi 8IQAAegkC

Was this a joke?

huskylawyer

Reaction score
HawkWow":1vpahzpq said:
huskylawyer":1vpahzpq said:

BybSi 8IQAAegkC

Was this a joke?

Huh? LOL

HawkWow

Reaction score
I know you know this, just reminding you, they're not all going to be RW. We are spoiled. Foles is moderately more talented than Cousins, if at all. Just a much better situation for him than the one Cousins landed in. And after 4 games in his rookie year, the jury was still out even with RW.

Cousins has all the tools a QB needs to excel in the NFL, whether he achieves that in Washington is the real question. He started this game , his first start on nat TV, by getting blindsided and that resulted in a fumble (-7 pts). Then it appeared to me (I could be wrong) his WR broke his route. Another 7 pts. Now he's in a hole...and Polumbus lets him get whacked a few more times. I'm not in love with Cousins, bro, but it's a process and I know you know this. 6 games under his belt and he's probably right about where he should be considering his environment. He will get better, and even if he don't, that doesn't make Griffin the answer. Griffin is more of a question, imo.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
HawkWow":22kjbcx1 said:
I know you know this, just reminding you, they're not all going to be RW. We are spoiled. Foles is moderately more talented than Cousins, if at all. Just a much better situation for him than the one Cousins landed in. And after 4 games in his rookie year, the jury was still out even with RW.

Cousins has all the tools a QB needs to excel in the NFL, whether he achieves that in Washington is the real question. He started this game , his first start on nat TV, by getting blindsided and that resulted in a fumble (-7 pts). Then it appeared to me (I could be wrong) his WR broke his route. Another 7 pts. Now he's in a hole...and Polumbus lets him get whacked a few more times. I'm not in love with Cousins, bro, but it's a process and I know you know this. 6 games under his belt and he's probably right about where he should be considering his environment. He will get better, and even if he don't, that doesn't make Griffin the answer. Griffin is more of a question, imo.

Cousins has 15 INTs, 3 fumbles and is like 1-7 in 11 career games (he didn't start all of them). RG3 has had his moments, but at least he's had continued success for extended periods (e.g., his Rookie of the Year campaign). Cousins has shown absolutely nothing (other than a game or two) that suggests he is a decent QB, whereas at least RG3 has performed at a high level for long stretches.

The problem with RG3 is injuries, no more, no less. If he can't stay on the field, then yes, Washington has to go in a different direction. That direction is not Cousins.

RG3 threw 5 picks through 15 games in 2012. Cousins has thrown five since halftime of the Philly game last week lol.

I agree, RG3 is a question (due to injuries), but I don't see how it is humanly possible to think he is more of a "question" than Cousins lol. That just doesn't make any sense.

And Cousin's isn't a rookie. He has been in the league for 3 years, has started a number of games, and just threw 4 picks in ONE HALF. He's Matt Flynn 2.0. Will put up a good game every once in awhile, but no way is he close to being a franchise guy.

HawkWow

Reaction score
huskylawyer":3fnjq1s0 said:
HawkWow":3fnjq1s0 said:

Cousins has 15 INTs, 3 fumbles and is like 1-7 in 11 career games (he didn't start all of them). RG3 has had his moments, but at least he's had continued success for extended periods (e.g., his Rookie of the Year campaign). Cousins has shown absolutely nothing (other than a game or two) that suggests he is a decent QB, whereas at least RG3 has performed at a high level for long stretches.

The problem with RG3 is injuries, no more, no less. If he can't stay on the field, then yes, Washington has to go in a different direction. That direction is not Cousins.

RG3 threw 5 picks through 15 games in 2012. Cousins has thrown five since halftime of the Philly game last week lol.

I agree, RG3 is a question (due to injuries), but I don't see how it is humanly possible to think he is more of a "question" than Cousins lol. That just doesn't make any sense.

And Cousin's isn't a rookie. He has been in the league for 3 years, has started a number of games, and just threw 4 picks in ONE HALF. He's Matt Flynn 2.0. Will put up a good game every once in awhile, but no way is he close to being a franchise guy.

It makes a ton of sense. Griffin can't stay on the football field and he's a glorified college player when he is. Yes, he got away with that in year 1...then the book was open on him. What has he done since.. even when healthy? Cousins is practically a rookie when you consider how little time he's spent with his 1st unit and that unit is virtually crap. Every report has suggested his team mates prefer him to Griffin. The bigger picture has to be seen and understood before writing off a young QB. Any young QB.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
HawkWow":26zysp99 said:
huskylawyer":26zysp99 said:
HawkWow":26zysp99 said:

It makes a ton of sense. Griffin can't stay on the football field and he's a glorified college player when he is. Yes, he got away with that in year 1...then the book was open on him. What has he done since.. even when healthy? Cousins is practically a rookie when you consider how little time he's spent with his 1st unit and that unit is virtually crap. Every report has suggested his team mates prefer him to Griffin. The bigger picture has to be seen and understood before writing off a young QB. Any young QB.

...except Griffin lol. You do realize Griffin and Cousins came out the same year. In other words, their BOTH young QBs.

I completely agree Griffin has to stay healthy, and he's been unable to show that (like Bradford).

HawkWow

Reaction score
If you read any of my previous posts, you'd see I know what year Cousins was drafted. You do understand the difference between working with a 1st and 2nd team, right? You seem to understand while "BOTH" he and Griffin are young, one is again unavailable. Like they say, "availability trumps ability" and I have no idea why you're going on and on about Griffin, anyway. Griffin is not missed by his team mates, it's no secret they prefer Cousins. So what does that tell you about Griffin while you declare Cousins an absolute bum? Tonight was a bad night for Cousins. He has a lot of football in front of him. We can revisit this issue weekly if you'd like.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
HawkWow":1a26d86f said:
If you read any of my previous posts, you'd see I know what year Cousins was drafted. You do understand the difference between working with a 1st and 2nd team, right? You seem to understand while "BOTH" he and Griffin are young, one is again unavailable. Like they say, "availability trumps ability" and I have no idea why you're going on and on about Griffin, anyway. Griffin is not missed by his team mates, it's no secret they prefer Cousins. So what does that tell you about Griffin while you declare Cousins an absolute bum? Tonight was a bad night for Cousins. He has a lot of football in front of him. We can revisit this issue weekly if you'd like.

Yes, let's revisit each week (if you like that kind of shaming and pain). Through 7 starts Cousins has 18 (EIGHTEEN) turnovers and is 1-6. I'll happily watch Cousins put up those numbers and discuss each week if you like (with Seattle and Arizona up next on the schedule).

As for "teammates prefer Cousins," and RG3 "isn't missed" that isn't very persuasive (or even provable lol). And you take a look at the Redskins message boards today, it seems clear to me that their in the "when do we get RG3 back" mode lol. I look at numbers and production, period. And Cousins production has been God awful, even when compared to RGIII's numbers from last year. The Skins tried to shop him around a little in the offseason, and they couldn't get a sack of Cheetos for him. There is a reason for that.

Let me guess, you thought the Matt Flynn acquisition was a good move lol. :roll:

And you keep bringing up being injured, which I've said repeatedly that I agree with you. But to excuse Cousins poor play on "youth" is like making an excuse for Jamarcuss Russell or David Carr. Sure, being "young and dumb" with respect to QB play is part of the issue, but it isn't a total excuse. Solid young QBs at least show some level of competence (and not an occasional good game like Locker or Tanehill). Cousins was a 4th rounder for a reason.

HawkWow

Reaction score
He was a 4th rounder for a reason? That reason's not because he still holds every QB related record at MSU. How about Baylor? They didn't miss a beat with the departure of Griffin. That's because Griffin is a college QB. His style of play, in that system, is less difficult to find / replace.

Your argument suggests you really are an attorney. ..and I congratulate you if that's the case. But I also get the impression you are of the "instant gratification" generation, along with those that prefer MMA to boxing, because boxing is a science and doesn't always produce the instant KO. Nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong with MMA, but it's a sign of the times. Nothing is worth waiting for.

QBs, historically have been groomed to be starters and certainly stardom was a bit down the road for them. Certainly there are exceptions and we have at least 2 superstars currently in the league that stepped right in like old timers. But they are the exception, not the rule, even in today's NFL. It's not an easy position and it's less easy playing the role Cousins was thrown into..and with a new coach.

The Redskin fans are screaming for Griffin? I care. Redskin fans don't know jack about QBs. Aside from maybe Williams, their supposed superstar QBs were never much better than above average, unless they want to go back to Jorgensen and that was before my time. The Skins always had solid o-lines, great defenses and great RBs. TEs and WRs too. They also had coaches named Allen and Gibbs. I don't think even the attorney in you can argue the Redskins are currently a great team...or very well coached (or even owned)..

Cousins' game last night sucked for sure. But you signal that, along with his few other starts, as proof he is crap. Never will he be a good QB. That's crazy talk. HOFers have thrown that number of ints, with great teams around them (like in SBs) and some have thrown more. Brees has thrown 5 ints in a game. So has Marino, Moon and Aikman. Favre and Manning have each thrown 6 in a game. Not many would call any of them crap. My obvious point being, Cousins has the tools, he needs grooming.

And LOL, you want to revisit this subject after Cousin's has 2 of the leagues best Ds (1 in history) thrown at him. We can do that. He probably isn't going to turn into Montana in the next week, so I expect to see you back in this thread with the "told you so". (lol). And I will remind you that playing QB in the NFL typically takes time, it isn't an easy thing to master.

Finally, you bring the name David Carr into the mix. Excellent comparison that only bolsters my point and my position. Thank you. Carr was a damn good young QB, and like Cousins, also without a team around him to help him develop and grow into the position. What Houston did to Carr was borderline criminal (council). Did you ever actually watch Carr with the Texans? I ask because If you had, you likely wouldn't have used him for your example. With that, I rest my case. ; )

huskylawyer

Reaction score
HawkWow":1acv74q4 said:
He was a 4th rounder for a reason? That reason's not because he still holds every QB related record at MSU. How about Baylor? They didn't miss a beat with the departure of Griffin. That's because Griffin is a college QB. His style of play, in that system, is less difficult to find / replace.

Your argument suggests you really are an attorney. ..and I congratulate you if that's the case. But I also get the impression you are of the "instant gratification" generation, along with those that prefer MMA to boxing, because boxing is a science and doesn't always produce the instant KO. Nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong with MMA, but it's a sign of the times. Nothing is worth waiting for.

QBs, historically have been groomed to be starters and certainly stardom was a bit down the road for them. Certainly there are exceptions and we have at least 2 superstars currently in the league that stepped right in like old timers. But they are the exception, not the rule, even in today's NFL. It's not an easy position and it's less easy playing the role Cousins was thrown into..and with a new coach.

The Redskin fans are screaming for Griffin? I care. Redskin fans don't know jack about QBs. Aside from maybe Williams, their supposed superstar QBs were never much better than above average, unless they want to go back to Jorgensen and that was before my time. The Skins always had solid o-lines, great defenses and great RBs. TEs and WRs too. They also had coaches named Allen and Gibbs. I don't think even the attorney in you can argue the Redskins are currently a great team...or very well coached (or even owned)..

Cousins' game last night sucked for sure. But you signal that, along with his few other starts, as proof he is crap. Never will he be a good QB. That's crazy talk. HOFers have thrown that number of ints, with great teams around them (like in SBs) and some have thrown more. Brees has thrown 5 ints in a game. So has Marino, Moon and Aikman. Favre and Manning have each thrown 6 in a game. Not many would call any of them crap. My obvious point being, Cousins has the tools, he needs grooming.

And LOL, you want to revisit this subject after Cousin's has 2 of the leagues best Ds (1 in history) thrown at him. We can do that. He probably isn't going to turn into Montana in the next week, so I expect to see you back in this thread with the "told you so". (lol). And I will remind you that playing QB in the NFL typically takes time, it isn't an easy thing to master.

Finally, you bring the name David Carr into the mix. Excellent comparison that only bolsters my point and my position. Thank you. Carr was a damn good young QB, and like Cousins, also without a team around him to help him develop and grow into the position. What Houston did to Carr was borderline criminal (council). Did you ever actually watch Carr with the Texans? I ask because If you had, you likely wouldn't have used him for your example. With that, I rest my case. ; )

)

Ok, I'll play. As a 42 year old guy who has been around the block, has a kid, co-owns a successful law firm, graduated from a top 5 law school (Michigan - GO BLUE!) who likes to gamble, etc., etc., I'm a fairly pragmatic dude. So no, I'm not a 21 year old kid wearing an Affliction shirt and calling someone a hall of famer or bust after one game.

However, when you look at historical numbers (albeit limited), Cousins has shown very little to suggest that he will be a solid NFL starter. Through 11 games he has done this:

58% completion percentage
14 TDs
15 INTs
3 loss fumbles
75.3 QB rating.
1-6 as a starter

Now listen, maybe you are an optimist lol, but if I'm a betting man, I'm guessing that "he is what he is" which is a back-up QB. Sure, maybe he is Alex Smith (who IMHO is average at best and must have a superior supporting cast around him) and will "develop" after 8 years, but at best, he is a Matt Flynn, AJ Feeley, type. Sure, you can bring up outliers, but historically the past 5 years, young QBs are expected to deliver fairly quickly (e.g., Wilson, Kaepernick, Luck), and the ones that struggle "more often than not" end up being mediocre at best, and/or busts.

And college success means nothings to me, as the League is littered with guys who put up crazy stats and sucked in the NFL (Andre Ware anyone?).And your arguments are circular and all over the place. You say, "Baylor hasn't missed a beat." Umm..you do realize that MSU hasn't missed a beat either LOL. Details..details.. (and Connor Cook is a better pro prospect than Cousins).

Cousins is turnover prone, stares down his WRs (the Giants DBs noted this and said it was like "Christmas" facing Cousins) and a turnover prone QB is not going to be successful. As for his supporting cast (the same cast that RG3 had), he has Morris at RB, Reed at TE (who will be back and is solid), Desean Jackson and Garcon (and the 3rd WR is not bad). Their weakness is their O-line, but the O-line isn't as bad as RG3 rookie year o-line, which was god awful. It isn't like Cousins has WRs like Newton (only Benjamin and a bunch of scrubs) or Geno Smith (only Decker and a bunch of scrubs). He has talent around him.

Hey, if you want to bet the house that Cousins' "needs time to develop" have at it. Tannehill needs time to develop. Jake Locker needs time to develop. AJ Feeley needs time to develop, etc., etc. But these guys aren't very good (and I'm a Washington alumn, but I know deep down that Jake isn't very good; he ran the Wing-T in high school for crying out loud). But I'm a betting man, and if I had to choose between a Cousins and most other starting QBs in the league, I'm choosing the latter. He is who he is; a back-up QB who will have a good game when a team doesn't have a lot of film, but over the long haul, he won't get it done.

Just being pragmatic and objective.

And BTW, the Giants pass defense was one of the worst in the league prior to the game last night. They were the second worst yards per completion defense in the league. Cousins wasn't facing LOB lol.

And Carr sucked. I don't deal in "would ofs" and "should ofs". Produce and spare me the excuses (supporting cast, coaching, blah blah blah).