Time for a partial rebuild?

massari

Reaction score
If they can get a high draft pick(s) for Bennett this coming off-season, then they've gotta do it. High draft pick(s)+an extra 7.5M to spend on FA's >> 31 year old Bennett.

Right now Graham has no trade value. I say cut him ASAP and carryover his salary into next season for more cap room.

Seymour

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1i3jkji8 said:
No.

But it's also worth noting that in the PCJS organization, we're constantly in a state of partial rebuild. How many rooks made the roster this year?

Yep! 15 rookies as of 9-5-16 that made the 53.

Ifedi, Reed, running backs C.J. Prosise and Alex Collins, offensive linemen Rees Odhiambo and Joey Hunt, tight end Nick Vannett and defensive tackle Quinton Jefferson comprised the eight draft picks to make the roster. Backup quarterback Trevone Boykin, fullback, Taniela Tupou, receiver Tanner McEvoy, tackle George Fant, defensive backs DeAndre Elliott and Tvyis Powell, and long snapper Nolan Frese were the undrafted free agents additions.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Ask yourselves these questions:
........How long has the OL been a problem for the PC/JS led Seahawks?
........Who is in charge of coaching the OL?
........Why hasn't the OL problem been solved or at least improved if Coach Cable is supposed to be an "OL guru"?
-------Doesn't the phrase " the buck stops here" (with the guy in charge of the OL evaluations, teaching & development) carry any weight?

Maybe the OL coaching ranks should be explored, looking for an OL coach that can be better than the current results indicate? Other teams seem to find players that can perform, even low draft picks & FA guys, why can't "guru" Cable do the same? The OL hasn't seemed to be getting any better from one year to the next, maybe the bottom line is ---->the coach needs changing?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
massari":ta2emj6v said:
If they can get a high draft pick(s) for Bennett this coming off-season, then they've gotta do it. High draft pick(s)+an extra 7.5M to spend on FA's >> 31 year old Bennett.

Big IF

Don't see the market there. We're not talking a Richard Seymour situation where he's in his mid/late 20s.

In addition, if you're getting an R1 pick -- then it makes more sense to just draft a DT in 2017. The pass rush options are very thick next year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":ynfuoydu said:
No because dead money from Lynch and Percy Harvin comes off the books next year, Graham can be cut or re-signed at a liwer rate and the salary cap should rise. That make re-signing Bennett AND getting some o-line help via FA quite possible.

As for Sowell relative to the post above, his shit play is obvious but right now, outside of a trade for Joe Thomas the only other option at LT is Gilliam and that's obviously no option at all or he'd be there.
How about JG and Earl to the Browns for Joe Thomas/ J Gordon ?This can be done anytime before the deadline

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":b3pdm80c said:
As for Sowell relative to the post above, his shit play is obvious but right now, outside of a trade for Joe Thomas the only other option at LT is Gilliam and that's obviously no option at all or he'd be there.
I think Gilliam will be at LT, Webb at RT, once Ifedi returns to RG. That was the plan going in and it's still early.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":g99chqb1 said:
No because dead money from Lynch and Percy Harvin comes off the books next year, Graham can be cut or re-signed at a liwer rate and the salary cap should rise. That make re-signing Bennett AND getting some o-line help via FA quite possible.

Harvin dead money is already off the books.

OP
OP
L

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
dogorama":vrm3n8l3 said:
HawkNuts":vrm3n8l3 said:
Knee jerk?

From fox sports.

"I’ve been doing my best to stay positive and look for reasons to be optimistic that the line will get better. Re-watching Sunday’s game from all all-22 and end zone angles though has me doubting that this will get fixed without personnel changes."

And

"Unfortunately, Webb wasn’t even the worst of the group. Left tackle Bradley Sowell gets that distinction. On top of being a penalty machine, Sowell struggled to redirect the defensive end even slightly on many plays.

Sowell simply isn’t an NFL left tackle. His “fail rate” is way too high. He even struggled to get his assignments right when the Seahawks were trying to set up a screen."

I played offensive line through college. I played center and left tackle. I was optimistic about this group going into the season because I believe in JS and PC.

However, I think PC is overly optimistic about the talent on the OL and the ability of Tom Cable.

I think we will struggle in the playoffs with a liability like BS at left tackle.

I hope I'm wrong.

No offense, but I can't tell which is from Fox Sports and which is yours. Could you provide a link? (IIRC, it's required by law when you quote an article or blog.)

You'll have to cut me some slack I have a one year old who doesn't sleep.

It's from twelfth man rising which comes through as fox sports on my news feed. I don't agree with trading for Joe Thomas but he wrote essentially what I was thinking.

http://12thmanrising.com/2016/09/20/seahawks-game-film-offensive-line-worse/

I also do believe there are partial rebuilds. The Pats do it all the time. They trade good players to other teams before their contracts are up. Saves money and they stay young.

nategreat

Reaction score
IndyHawk":omgn09bu said:
hawksfansinceday1":omgn09bu said:

How about JG and Earl to the Browns for Joe Thomas/ J Gordon ?This can be done anytime before the deadline

Don't forget about the effect trading guys like Earl Thomas would have on the team. The entire team may feel a bit of betrayal by the front office, and before you know it, everyone wants to leave. Gotta think about those things too. Not to mention he's a leader of this team.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
nategreat":3nwodl7s said:
IndyHawk":3nwodl7s said:
hawksfansinceday1":3nwodl7s said:

Don't forget about the effect trading guys like Earl Thomas would have on the team. The entire team may feel a bit of betrayal by the front office, and before you know it, everyone wants to leave. Gotta think about those things too.

If Thomas doesn't relearn how to wrap up tackle soon instead of throwing a shoulder and missing a moving target, you gotta trade. Old earl you swallow a bullet for.

In essence Pete list 25% of his team every year at usc. Maybe 3rd round qbs and ufas are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
irocdave":37idnt8r said:
It's premature to talk rebuild, but the obvious issue is the O line and it seems to be only be getting worse. That was OK when they had a running back that could make yards with almost zero blocking and a QB not making a fraction of what RW is now. Come to think of it, what RS, Kam C, ET, MB, CA, KJW and DB are making now. It would be really interesting to go back in the time machine and see if the same people bitching and whining about the o ine are the same that bleated "pay the man!!!!, He the bestest!!" a couple of years ago.

If the o line doesn't make a drastic improvement soon, RW will be on the shelf, hopefully not with a career ending injury. Once that happens the Hawks will be the an 8 and 8 team at best. If that happens, kiss the stellar defense good bye, players will be released, they have to in order to protect the largest earner on the team. I got ripped by people on this forum for daring to try and articulate the gigantic pay increase RW was going to get and repercussions for said increase in this same forum. Posters went after me for questioning the sheople mentality of pay him what ever he wants. Maybe I didn't articulate my thoughts fully, but this type of thing is was picturing would happen. PC and JS committed to the D stud players first so where else are salary savings going to happen? Cut the kicker? Punter? Long snapper? Look at the bitch fest that happened for letting the LS go to save money.

I am with all Hawks fans, RW is the right guy at QB and is worth the money, but just like monopoly, there is only so much money and hard decisions have to be made. You don't get it all except on rare occasions. If this season ends with out a playoff game I would expect to see several core players let go.
KJW, MB, Kam and possibly Earl are real very real possibilities. You cant pay a guy 20+ million a year to get beat up on every down. Money is going to be focused on the O line at a detriment to the D.
And if you don't trade for and pay big bucks to Harvin and Graham there is money available for offensive linemen. Yes, it's hindsight but cap management was not good or they were too confident in themselves that they could get anyone to play offensive line and do a decent job.

dogorama

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2jnianfq said:
dogorama":2jnianfq said:
HawkNuts":2jnianfq said:
Knee jerk?

From fox sports.

"I’ve been doing my best to stay positive and look for reasons to be optimistic that the line will get better. Re-watching Sunday’s game from all all-22 and end zone angles though has me doubting that this will get fixed without personnel changes."

And

"Unfortunately, Webb wasn’t even the worst of the group. Left tackle Bradley Sowell gets that distinction. On top of being a penalty machine, Sowell struggled to redirect the defensive end even slightly on many plays.

Sowell simply isn’t an NFL left tackle. His “fail rate” is way too high. He even struggled to get his assignments right when the Seahawks were trying to set up a screen."

I played offensive line through college. I played center and left tackle. I was optimistic about this group going into the season because I believe in JS and PC.

However, I think PC is overly optimistic about the talent on the OL and the ability of Tom Cable.

I think we will struggle in the playoffs with a liability like BS at left tackle.

I hope I'm wrong.

No offense, but I can't tell which is from Fox Sports and which is yours. Could you provide a link? (IIRC, it's required by law when you quote an article or blog.)

You are correct and the Pats have been very successful w/this formula but they also have an advantage w/an elite QB who doesn't demand a salary commiserate w/his value.

You'll have to cut me some slack I have a one year old who doesn't sleep.

It's from twelfth man rising which comes through as fox sports on my news feed. I don't agree with trading for Joe Thomas but he wrote essentially what I was thinking.

http://12thmanrising.com/2016/09/20/seahawks-game-film-offensive-line-worse/

I also do believe there are partial rebuilds. The Pats do it all the time. They trade good players to other teams before their contracts are up. Saves money and they stay young.

Joyodongo

Reaction score
As I wrote in other post, I'm for trading/cutting JG (not MB, and of course not Earl) next year, 10 M$ more cap space.
Everybody is way too optimistic thinking that with Ifedi back the OL problems will disappear. ... I'm not ...
Talikng about the OL, Jake Long is available, isn't he worth a try as LT?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sweet Jesus, are you kidding me? 1-1 start, and it's time to rebuild?? :roll: :roll: :roll:

I guess Carolina, KC, Cincy, Green Bay, Arizona etc. should all start a re-build, as they are sitting at 1-1. :2thumbs: