Time for a partial rebuild?

massari

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2t17qhga said:
massari":2t17qhga said:
If they can get a high draft pick(s) for Bennett this coming off-season, then they've gotta do it. High draft pick(s)+an extra 7.5M to spend on FA's >> 31 year old Bennett.

Big IF

Don't see the market there. We're not talking a Richard Seymour situation where he's in his mid/late 20s.

In addition, if you're getting an R1 pick -- then it makes more sense to just draft a DT in 2017. The pass rush options are very thick next year.
Was thinking more like a 2nd. Hopefully more. Nothing less.

Also, Seymour was 30 when he was traded, so one year younger than Bennett. Both guys in the final year of a contract.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think the notion of a rebuild as you mean it is emotionally charged, knee-jerk reaction.

However, the notion from a Seahawks team philosophical perspective isn't far off. I believe they plan a partial rebuild every off-season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2dit4sp8 said:
Should JS cut some salary and partially rebuild this team?

Trade a few players for picks and pickup some young talent for the offensive line instead of dumpster fire FA's?

I think now is the time for JS start thinking about it.

MB and JG would be the players to unload.

What the wat.

Lemme get this straight. You want to trade our best players who make a ton of money two games into the season for young players that I assume are also very talented yet don't make even half as much and therefore any other team would be insane to part with only two games in cause everyone's still in contention?

I've seen some premature knee jerk threads, but this might be the knee jerkiest knee jerk that ever knee jerked in Jerktown.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
yes. seasons over and they should just accept that and move on.

man is it becoming harder and harder to come to this place during the season.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
YYZHawksFan":163t0hmk said:
man is it becoming harder and harder to come to this place during the season.

+1

Expectations have grown so much in four years -- they're now barely realistic in the slightest.

Every loss magnified, every off-day = someone needs to be fired or cut or traded.

And there are probably 20 teams out there with very little hope of winning anything this year -- and we can't enjoy being one of the 12 who could go all the way.

This team and staff won't be around forever. Live the ride while it lasts.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":s25enpad said:
Expectations have grown so much in four years -- they're now barely realistic in the slightest.

Every loss magnified, every off-day = someone needs to be fired or cut or traded.

And there are probably 20 teams out there with very little hope of winning anything this year -- and we can't enjoy being one of the 12 who could go all the way.

While this is a valid point, one can't expect everyone to act that way. Last I checked we were all human, therefore we will all react differently. Add in frustration at the way things are going, whether real or perceived, and people will come to their one place they feel that they can complain about it, .Net.

It's like people have never been to a forum before... ;)

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1zhs9u2x said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1zhs9u2x said:

While this is a valid point, one can't expect everyone to act that way. Last I checked we were all human, therefore we will all react differently. Add in frustration at the way things are going, whether real or perceived, and people will come to their one place they feel that they can complain about it, .Net.

One of the things I've noticed on internet forums is that for every complaint, there's a complainer complaining about the complaint. ;)

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1njumaqq said:
OkieHawk":1njumaqq said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1njumaqq said:

One of the things I've noticed on internet forums is that for every complaint, there's a complainer complaining about the complaint. ;)
Sounds like the government.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1yktrwph said:

Agreed. And then someone will occasionally complain about said complainer.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
OkieHawk":26lafp5i said:
theENGLISHseahawk":26lafp5i said:

well alrighty then. see you later. as a moderator, can you just cancel my account? enjoy the tin foil hat fans.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OkieHawk":3s7eluik said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3s7eluik said:

Not me, I only complain about the complainer when they complain about complaining.

hawk45

Reaction score
If there were a way to lose Graham's salary and spend it on the offensive line, I'd be for it. Not because I hate Graham - clearly he can be a beast if he's thrown to - but because I think it's been proved over and over again when the OL starts slow because of replacing 5 guys that this team can succeed without Graham when the line is clicking. But not vice versa.

Last year was a case in point. Graham healthy early but OL awful, passing offense sucked. Lewis in at center and OL starts clicking, passing offense looked great.

The quick passing had a lot to do with it obviously but we've seen this pattern of sucking early in seasons and being fine later every year. And every year the line has sucked early as well - sometimes due to injury, sometimes due to replacing 3+ players.

I don't see a case for anything approach a "rebuild", if rebuild is defined as trading away any of our core defensive players.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I remember Pitt won a few years ago with an absolute garbage O-line and a pretty good defense against Arizona.

Denver won without a super awesome run game or oline as well just last year, not too worried.

OP
OP
L

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I am not talking about letting a few veterans go in exchange for rookies like the team does every off season. I'm talking about dumping MB and his big mouth off on another team in exchange for a draft pick or two. And getting rid of JG who is grossly overpaid for his role in our offense. Take those picks and move up for a real LT.

I'm talking about protecting our QB for the long term. I don't see a backside tackle on this team.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
HawkNuts":27f1bg75 said:
I am not talking about letting a few veterans go in exchange for rookies like the team does every off season. I'm talking about dumping MB and his big mouth off on another team in exchange for a draft pick or two. And getting rid of JG who is grossly overpaid for his role in our offense. Take those picks and move up for a real LT.

I'm talking about protecting our QB for the long term. I don't see a backside tackle on this team.
What LT?

Once Ifedi returns after the bye I see Gilliam moving to there as originally planned, with Webb at RT also as originally planned. And with Fant also threatening for time at LT, that guy could well be the anchor there given time.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
HawkNuts":38pp7t8l said:

Yeah... who needs one of the best DE's in the league. Bloody big mouth.

Trade him for all the picks in the 2017 draft and take seven left tackles.