Time for Pete to evaluate his defensive coaching staff

mistaowen

Reaction score
Not just KNJ, the whole unit under his watch. This defense is on pace to be by far the worst of all time and if they want to save this season, changes HAVE to be made. The guy who constructed one of the best ever cannot allow this to keep going this way. Without Russell playing at an MVP level, putting up terrific games for most of the year, every game comes down to the end because of the defense. Without an MVP candidate at QB this team is probably already looking at next years draft.

30+ points, 500 yards a week. Teams not even bothering trying to run the ball because they don’t need to. Wide open players all over the field. No pressure, blown coverages, miscommunication, super soft zones giving up 10-15 yards a pop.

Scheme needs to be looked at, play caller duties need to be shifted, new blood needs to be brought in. I don’t believe the talent is this bad, there are some very good players on this unit.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Softykjr/status/1325546219884564480[/tweet]

TypeSly

Reaction score
I don't know why any team bothers to run the ball against us... and seeing the results this week, they probably won't.

ducks41468

Reaction score
They're on pace to allow the most yards in NFL history. Today's game actually improved our average lol

Seahawks8880

Reaction score
I’m on board with you but You are not able to convince some others here that coaching has something to do with this. 3 years in with this coaching staff and we are progressively getting worst but yet some people here defend Norton to the core. It’s Pete’s defense and it’s on him blah blah and the blame can’t possibly be on anyone else.

PNW

Reaction score
I say fire Pete because I dont think a new DC would change things. I’m at a loss, I guess I would be open to trying a new DC but I truly believe nothing would look different because of Pete still being our HC.

Seahawks8880

Reaction score
PNW":22tcjfeb said:
I say fire Pete because I dont think a new DC would change things. I’m at a loss, I guess I would be open to trying a new DC but I truly believe nothing would look different because of Pete still being our HC.

I’ve said before and I’m going to say it now, Pete can not do it alone while head coaching. He needs competent coaching staff to trust and rely on for insights and inputs. Norton doesn’t have the intellectual to do this. I get it if it’s first year or maybe 2nd at the worst but 3rd year in and we have the worst defense historically and we can accept this?

hawk45

Reaction score
Come does anyone think for a second Pete will do this?

Our first window shut before he woke up to cable and bevell. If our second, more offensive minded window, depends on Pete doing jack about a piss poor DC, then I’m not holding my breath.

He’s the best we ever had and the reason we have one championship but his approach to coordinators isn’t a strength

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
The most upsetting part is this defense has the talent to be ranked 10-20 when looking at other teams around the league. They are not THIS terrible. Teams in complete tear down mode are more competitive on defense.

Pete just said they didn’t expect Buffalo to come out throwing. Seriously???

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Every team is going to come out throwing.

We are the worst team in league history against the pass.

A Detroit Lions team teleported from the past with Barry Sanders and some godawful QB would come out throwing on us.

There is no reason to ever run the ball on us when we give up 10+ yds on complete passes.

But the problem is the DC not the players. You cannot fix that with better players, so getting all those studs did not help us.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete is making defensive calls, he just said that long play at the end was on him.

He doesn't delegate and wants to be a DC still as well as a Head Coach, he doesn't seem to recognize that teams see us 15 yards off and still thinks they will run on us first, waited to long to start pushing pressure.

ducks41468

Reaction score
chris98251":m1tokycc said:
Pete is making defensive calls, he just said that long play at the end was on him.

He doesn't delegate and wants to be a DC still as well as a Head Coach, he doesn't seem to recognize that teams see us 15 yards off and still thinks they will run on us first, waited to long to start pushing pressure.

He keeps saying that, and nothing ever changes. In fact, it gets worse

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/1325548967715766272[/tweet]

AubHawk71

Reaction score
What I'm wondering is that now that PC got his lucrative/rolling into retirement contract extension, does that make it easier for him to throw dead weight off the side of the ship? For serious.

chris98251

Reaction score
I said this in another thread.

Bradley, Richard, Norton all have had the same results, they have a scheme that is Pete's, Pete steps in and makes calls and directs, that is not being a DC.

Quinn I think was allowed to do things more his way and Pete was less involved, why his defense looked more dominant when he was here.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Quinn had the LOB. He would stink with this defense too. We knew our pass rush was a problem and did nothing to address it. So this shouldn’t be a surprise. Not very complicated

Latest posts