Time for Pete to evaluate his defensive coaching staff

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Regressing every year since KNJ was hired as DC. Added a lot pieces after replacing an all time unit and sadly the patchwork unit was better than this. He HAS to go, people can make all the excuses in the world that it’s Pete’s defense but every other coordinator has made it work their own way. It’s pathetic, not just bad. Historically bad. At some point, the guys who deal with the play-by-play moments need to be held accountable.

People are wide open all over the place while only rushing 4. They need to do something to light a fire under this unit. Russell plays poorly against a solid defense on the road, still scores 34, and it’s a blowout loss.

PNW

Reaction score
Except the pass rush was the only thing that looked decent

AubHawk71

Reaction score
NJlargent":3pzukw2n said:
Quinn had the LOB. He would stink with this defense too. We knew our pass rush was a problem and did nothing to address it. So this shouldn’t be a surprise. Not very complicated

Hindsight is 20/20. However, things could've improved but they have not. It just didn't work out. Time to move on.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Largent,

Our pass rush is not historically bad.

Our DC is.

The problem is not the pass rush. And if the pass rush is a problem, why are we in soft zone coverage for almost an entire half instead of sending extra pressure?

It is the DC.

It always was.

You could give him the 2nd coming of LT and he would still screw it up.

Didn't he have Mack for a bit and still sucked?

chris98251

Reaction score
NJlargent":3jo16a76 said:
Quinn had the LOB. He would stink with this defense too. We knew our pass rush was a problem and did nothing to address it. So this shouldn’t be a surprise. Not very complicated

We also had Norton as a LB coach and Richard as a DB coach, those two in those positions made those units strong, Quinn was a D line guru so it all synced up.

Ever since we lost Richards influence on our DB's we seen that start slipping.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":h2zsql7b said:
Largent,

Our DC is.

The problem is not the pass rush. And if the pass rush is a problem, why are we in soft zone coverage for almost an entire half instead of sending extra pressure?

It is the DC.

It always was.

He did have Mack and their defense drastically improved once he was sent packing. I genuinely don't get why he got another opportunity in a better organization like Seattle besides being one of Pete's guys. Last year was a warning sign that this defense needed new guys calling the shots, it has snowballed this year into the worst of all time.

I just don't understand how we can go into another week without making changes. Last week had 3 nice quarters against a guy who doesn't deserve a starting job and then Mullens who struggles against anyone but us made it a close game. Almost immediately, just came out throwing to wide open guys everywhere.

It literally can't get any worse.

getnasty

Reaction score
Not that Norton is doing well but i think fans tend to think our talent is better then it really is.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
getnasty":25fzcsjk said:
Not that Norton is doing well but i think fans tend to think our talent is better then it really is.

I don't think this is an elite unit by any means but the roster is not the worst in all of the NFL by a significant margin, as they are statistically rated. The only thing holding them up a bit is run defense but that was proven to be fake in the Vikings game. Teams just don't need to run when they get 10-20 yards a pass with ease.

They don't even need to be elite for this to be a SB contender, just average. Frustrating..

getnasty

Reaction score
mistaowen":1vbeaqxy said:
getnasty":1vbeaqxy said:

I don't think this is an elite unit by any means but the roster is not the worst in all of the NFL by a significant margin, as they are statistically rated. The only thing holding them up a bit is run defense but that was proven to be fake in the Vikings game. Teams just don't need to run when they get 10-20 yards a pass with ease.

They don't even need to be elite for this to be a SB contender, just average. Frustrating..

Eventhough statistics say there the worst they're really not. Playing so many games with a quick strike offense and double digit leads inflats the problem. Outside of Adams and Wagner this team is well below average talent wise. I will also sag Adams has been a dissapointment for me so far, he makes a ton of plays but gives up just as many.

NJlargent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2ulnfvjo said:
Largent,

Our DC is.

It is the DC.

It always was.

i am not saying Norton is anything short of a disaster. But the interest in Quinn is an attempt at
a quick fix and this defense needs much more than a quick fix. At the moment we headed towards a divisional round bouncing because we don’t coach well on Sunday all around. The blueprint on beating us soundly is out there now. It will be exploited by the good teams.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
NJlargent":63roozom said:
TwistedHusky":63roozom said:
Largent,

Our DC is.

It is the DC.

It always was.

i am not saying Norton is anything short of a disaster. But the interest in Quinn is an attempt at
a quick fix and this defense needs much more than a quick fix. At the moment we headed towards a divisional round bouncing because we don’t coach well on Sunday all around. The blueprint on beating us soundly is out there now. It will be exploited by the good teams.

Exactly right!

davidonmi

Reaction score
Just gonna throw Wade Phillips' name out there?

How often is one of the all time great DC's available and actively seeking a job? Dan Quinn would be acceptable to.

And Pete should have 0 say in the matter, he is as culpable as Norton at this point.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
PNW":2f3g12yl said:

What they were doing on the line today for pass rush was good, how they were protecting that pass rush on the backend was bad. They are so afraid of giving up big plays that they are giving up big plays (really no other way to put that.)

Fade

Reaction score
Dunlap and Adams coming back didn't fix the defense? :D :D

Like I have been saying, and some are now finally starting to catch on. It is a coordinating & coaching issue.

Not a personnel issue. Sure, their personnel could stand to be better, but if you haven't noticed whenever they go out and a acquire a good to great player for the defense, they don't get better, but worse! Every time.

It's the Cable O-Line problem all over again.

Norton should be fired after next week if they look like a dumpster fire again. He has had more than enough chances to show something in his 5 seasons as a coordinator.

The defense has way too much talent to be worse all time. COACHING.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
davidonmi":3qz3babt said:
Just gonna throw Wade Phillips' name out there?

How often is one of the all time great DC's available and actively seeking a job? Dan Quinn would be acceptable to.

And Pete should have 0 say in the matter, he is as culpable as Norton at this point.

I've been thinking this for a few weeks now. Bring Phillips here in some capacity. Give him some BS title but make him the man behind the curtain. After the season, jettison Norton and install Phillips.

massari

Reaction score
We saw a completely healthy defense with Adams, Griffin, Dunbar, Irvin, Blair ect all playing the first two weeks, and they still gave up 970 yards those two games.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MitchMossRadio/status/1325571830590025728[/tweet]

TypeSly

Reaction score
hawkfannj":1od3nrpd said:
This will never happen. History says so .

Right, but I think Pete can bring in a new DC, without having to fire KNJ. Norton was a fine LB's coach, so just bring in a REAL coordinator. I don't see why this has to be so difficult. Quinn would do wonders

TypeSly

Reaction score
PNW":1ov83osb said:

:sarcasm_off: ? You're kidding, right?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
mistaowen":1wm989ha said:
Pete just said they didn’t expect Buffalo to come out throwing. Seriously???

If he said that then its time to move on from him because he has lost his mind.

Latest posts