Time to go DiPoto on the roster

HawkerD

Reaction score
ringless":1chhrqbr said:
One thing I find interesting is I think there is a little misconception about what each draft should result in. Realistically almost 50% of first round picks are busts! Let alone in the later rounds. How many star players are you expecting out of each draft? 2-3? That's just not going to happen on a regular basis. 1 star and 2 big contributors is actually a great draft and if it was guaranteed evey year you'd be smart to take it.

Even the best teams whiff on their drafts. I found an article and I'll try to remember to link it. But success rates with drafting even for "experts" is below 50% as a whole.

I'm not saying some of Seattle's drafts weren't bad. But expectations of the draft are typically always higher than reality for fans. Don't forget, most of the players players are playing against were once drafted as well, and had equally high expectations. :)

1 stud (Lockett) and 2 big contributers (Britt and Clark) are awhat we got out of THE LAST FOUR drafts.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":1svwt9np said:
I doubt there is a team with 0 dead money. We took far bigger hits for Percy and Williams. 4 million is going to Kearse whether or not he's on the team. If he's on the team, its dead money. If not, it's dead money. No difference at this point.

Even if we could absorb the dead money hit, which is highly debatable..................you don't cut two starters without their replacements ready to go.

So yeah, if by some miracle we draft a couple studs at CB and Richardson or McEvoy have insanely productive camps, then I'll listen to you about cutting either/or Kearse or Lane.

But at this point in time it makes ZERO sense, especially Lane with both Earl and Shead have major injuries. Our depth is already depleted. We just signed Parish Cox for god's sake.

misfit

Reaction score
I find humor in following anyone from the mariners for direction of where to take the seahawks.

Mariners should be taking hints from the Hawks

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3menjuwo said:
Tical21":3menjuwo said:
I doubt there is a team with 0 dead money. We took far bigger hits for Percy and Williams. 4 million is going to Kearse whether or not he's on the team. If he's on the team, its dead money. If not, it's dead money. No difference at this point.

Even if we could absorb the dead money hit, which is highly debatable..................you don't cut two starters without their replacements ready to go.

So yeah, if by some miracle we draft a couple studs at CB and Richardson or McEvoy have insanely productive camps, then I'll listen to you about cutting either/or Kearse or Lane.

But at this point in time it makes ZERO sense, especially Lane with both Earl and Shead have major injuries. Our depth is already depleted. We just signed Parish Cox for god's sake.
I don't get what you lose by cutting players that are ranked at the very bottom of their position league wide. Lane gave up a 114 rating. Kearse 113 of 116 wrs according to pff. You don't get worse by cutting them. It's basically impossible to get worse. Whomever they slide in will be an upgrade, and it sends a message that you can't come to Seattle and be garbage and get paid to hang around the team and hold hands with your friends.

Seymour

Reaction score
Tical21":yyrbtnmt said:

Kearse's dead cap money right now is a total of $7.75M not $4M.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Seymour":2jytksun said:
Tical21":2jytksun said:

Lane's also is at $7.75M

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Seymour":3u3fkycn said:
Tical21":3u3fkycn said:

Not according to overthecap.com.

If cut prior to June 1st, his dead money hit is $3.67M (two years of prorated signing bonus at $1.83M each)... and cutting him would actually save $0.67M against the team's cap.

Link... http://overthecap.com/player/jermaine-kearse/1548/

Help me understand what makes you think that it is $7.75M.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":uwzuxu7k said:
Seymour":uwzuxu7k said:
Tical21":uwzuxu7k said:

Lane's also is at $7.75M
No, it's not.

If cut prior to June 1st, it's $3.75M total... three years of prorated signing bonus at $1.25M/year.

Link... http://overthecap.com/player/jeremy-lane/1547/

And if cut, the team would save $1.5M against their cap (his 2017 salary of $5.25M minus his dead money hit of $3.75M equals a cap savings of $1.5M).

What makes you think that it is $7.75M?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1pi40267 said:
Grahamhawker":1pi40267 said:
Seymour":1pi40267 said:
Tical21":1pi40267 said:

Lane's also is at $7.75M
No, it's not.

If cut prior to June 1st, it's $3.75M total... three years of prorated signing bonus at $1.25M/year.

Link... http://overthecap.com/player/jeremy-lane/1547/

And if cut, the team would save $1.5M against their cap (his 2017 salary of $5.25M minus his dead money hit of $3.75M equals a cap savings of $1.5M).

What makes you think that it is $7.75M?

Total remaining on his contract. I assumed that was what the post I replied to was referring to.
After checking, Sportrac does show Kearse's total @ $3.7M (not 7.75), and Lane's @ $7.75M. But maybe I'm interpreting that wrong?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jeremy-lane-9993/

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Seymour":1vluhklw said:
Grahamhawker":1vluhklw said:
Total remaining on his contract. I assumed that was what the post I replied to was referring to.
After checking, Sportrac does show Kearse's total @ $3.7M (not 7.75), and Lane's @ $7.75M. But maybe I'm interpreting that wrong?

My mistake. It was Lane that is $7.75M
But it's not.

The dead money is not additive for the remaining years on his contract.

At overthecap.com, the number in the 2017 row is the number.

He's owed no more guaranteed money... so his dead money hit if cut prior to June 1, 2017 is his remaining prorated signing bonus of $1.25M for the 3 remaining years... 2017, 2018 and 2019.

That's the basis for the $3.75M dead money number in the 2017 row.

If cut before June 1st, 100% of the hit is taken in 2017.

Seymour

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":219pul5w said:
Seymour":219pul5w said:
Grahamhawker":219pul5w said:

But it's not.

He's owed no more guaranteed money... so his dead money hit if cut prior to June 1, 2017 is his remaining prorated signing bonus of $1.25M for the 3 remaining years... 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Are you talking about Lane? Yes he is still owed. $11M guaranteed and he's been paid $7M nearest I can tell. Also it's not what he has left to be paid, it's the dead cap $$ that hurts the team.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Seymour":352h0izr said:
onanygivensunday":352h0izr said:
Seymour":352h0izr said:
Grahamhawker":352h0izr said:

But it's not.

Are you talking about Lane? Yes he is still owed. $11M guaranteed and he's been paid $7M nearest I can tell. Also it's not what he has left to be paid, it's the dead cap $$ that hurts the team.
So after reading a bit more, I understand that the Hawks are facing a difficult decision.

From overthecap.com... " If Lane is on the Seahawks roster following the 2016 Super Bowl, he will receive another $4 million in full guarantees."

So that decision is coming up pretty soon.

If they take a pass, then the numbers that I stated are in effect which is, no more guaranteed money and $3.75M in dead money if cut before June 1st. And if they do that, the team saves $1.5M against their cap.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
Tical21":1b6idfbt said:
Time to get tough. Scare em. Shock em. A lot of folks in that locker room are feeling a little too comfortable with their mediocre play. DiPoto looked at our roster when he got here and said "if you've been here, and you haven't been performing to expectations, see ya later, I don't have time for it. Ackley, Miller, LoMo, Jesus, whoever was in CF, I'm looking at you. Taijuan, gonnna underperform? Next."

Rememeber when the Seahawks were like that? Now, they're all buddies, and they're all family, and you get to stay as long as you want if you're a nice guy and everybody likes you.

Gilliam. Time's up. Gone.
Willson. Still can't block or run routes, see ya.
Kearse, done. Owed money or not. Get out. We're not waiting anymore.
KPL? Going to squander your starting opportunities and still make boneheaded plays. Next.
Rubin. Gonna play pat-a-cake all year? Don't need it.
Lane. Gonna take a step back? See ya. Ain't got time for it.
Marsh. Gonna give you a full year of DE on 3rd down and you get two pressures. Go on. Get.
5/7 ain't bad. Lane and Willson...to be continued....

White Devil

Reaction score
Tical21":2yp08c13 said:
Tical21":2yp08c13 said:
Time to get tough. Scare em. Shock em. A lot of folks in that locker room are feeling a little too comfortable with their mediocre play. DiPoto looked at our roster when he got here and said "if you've been here, and you haven't been performing to expectations, see ya later, I don't have time for it. Ackley, Miller, LoMo, Jesus, whoever was in CF, I'm looking at you. Taijuan, gonnna underperform? Next."

Rememeber when the Seahawks were like that? Now, they're all buddies, and they're all family, and you get to stay as long as you want if you're a nice guy and everybody likes you.

KPL? Going to squander your starting opportunities and still make boneheaded plays. Next.
Marsh. Gonna give you a full year of DE on 3rd down and you get two pressures. Go on. Get.

DVIzIrK

RockinHawks

Reaction score
I hope the our FO is watching this...Tical may be working with JS pretty soon, LOL

Nice foresight dude!

I'm rooting for Willson to have a solid year, go in FA and let Swoopes come in as our #3 next year behind Vannett and Graham.

Josea16

Reaction score
Tical21":303hxvl5 said:

5/7 you're a pretty good seer.

sdog1981

Reaction score
It kind of sums up the feelings a lot of us had after last season. The team underperformed BIG time last year, they should have been 12-4 or 13-3 even with the injured Wilson they had. A lot of super fans were all like "dur dur they were 10-5-1" That is not good enough for the talent level on this team. Looks like the front office was not pleased with the performance and did a little bit of house cleaning.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Tical21":3ar0ipis said:
Tical21":3ar0ipis said:

We have yet to see how beneficial your correct guesses will be for the team. Kearse's departure came after one bad year and leaves us thin at a position with a lot of injury history (Richardson, Lockett, Prosise is a hybrid WR). There was analysis over the offseason indicating that Gilliam's play might have been marginally better than Ifedi's.

The other three I won't argue on.