Time to go DiPoto on the roster

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sdog1981":nwz13w19 said:
It kind of sums up the feelings a lot of us had after last season. The team underperformed BIG time last year, they should have been 12-4 or 13-3 even with the injured Wilson they had. A lot of super fans were all like "dur dur they were 10-5-1" That is not good enough for the talent level on this team. .

You keep saying that and it keeps being silly. Were the Patriots anything but an outstanding contender with HoF-quality coaching and quarterbacking for the last ten years even though they didn't win the Super Bowl every year?

sdog1981

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3b25tqod said:
You keep saying that and it keeps being silly. Were the Patriots anything but an outstanding contender with HoF-quality coaching and quarterbacking for the last ten years even though they didn't win the Super Bowl every year?

Yeah dude, they were and so were the Colts.

Since 2003 the Patriots have won less than 12 games 3 times and have won 4 SB's.

From 1999-2009 the Colts won one Superbowl and less than 12 games three times.

So yes we should all expect this Seahawks team with this level of talent to win 12 games almost every season for the next 10 seasons. They should not go on the road and lose to sub-500 teams that are not in the division.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sdog1981":2236npjy said:
MontanaHawk05":2236npjy said:

Yeah dude, they were and so were the Colts.

Since 2003 the Patriots have won less than 12 games 3 times and have won 4 SB's.

From 1999-2009 the Colts won one Superbowl and less than 12 games three times.

So yes we should all expect this Seahawks team with this level of talent to win 12 games almost every season for the next 10 seasons. They should not go on the road and lose to sub-500 teams that are not in the division.

You're placing your standard of quality at 12 games? What did you do, pick that number out of a hat? Why not 13? Why not 11? Is there any point to winning 12 games repeatedly if you never make the Super Bowl? Your logic isn't there.

And for the millionth time...if Steve Hauschka makes two more field goals than he did, you're not complaining.

sdog1981

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1jqkjl3f said:
You're placing your standard of quality at 12 games? What did you do, pick that number out of a hat? Why not 13? Why not 11? Is there any point to winning 12 games repeatedly if you never make the Super Bowl? Your logic isn't there.

And for the millionth time...if Steve Hauschka makes two more field goals than he did, you're not complaining.

12-4 is 75% winning percentage and will get a team a bye week for the playoffs almost every season. Think of it as 8-0 at home and 4-4 on the road.

Yes, there is a point to winning 12 games a season. Because your team will not win every Super Bowl ever BUT they will play 16 games from September-January and that is where the bulk of enjoyment from NFL seasons comes from. I have friends that are NY Giants fans and they did not enjoy a 9-7 Superbowl season because they hated almost every Sunday they sat down to watch the team.

Back to my original point. Hauschka was not at the level they wanted along with the other players mentioned in the OP and was shown the door.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sdog1981":2qgwp3yx said:
I have friends that are NY Giants fans and they did not enjoy a 9-7 Superbowl season because they hated almost every Sunday they sat down to watch the team.

I suppose you're free to hate a Super Bowl season if you really, really want. I'm going to enjoy the ride fully as long as this team is playoff-worthy.

sdog1981

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2a3xklsm said:
sdog1981":2a3xklsm said:
I have friends that are NY Giants fans and they did not enjoy a 9-7 Superbowl season because they hated almost every Sunday they sat down to watch the team.

I suppose you're free to hate a Super Bowl season if you really, really want. I'm going to enjoy the ride fully as long as this team is playoff-worthy.

That is a different debate, I don't know what a 9-7 Seahawks Superbowl season would feel like because the Seahawks have always won 12-13 games the seasons they went. I just know my Giants friends were pissed or bummed out for about half of the season.

Back to my and the OP's original point. The front office also feels that the team needed a face lift based off of how they built this seasons roster. You talked about how many games the team would have won if Hauschka had made 2 kicks, I ask the counter question how many games would the team have won if Kearse was off the team last season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Next season is going to another hard off / pre season as our older player get traded and or released, were doing a slow churn now.

mrblitz

Reaction score
i don't know about the giants' regular season, but they took care of business in the playoffs. among other things, they destroyed the packers' oline. looked like a good season from here. my attitude is, if your team is mathematically alive, it's still worth the ride. if they're out of contention, not so much. ymmv

sdog1981

Reaction score
mrblitz":3k6aosy1 said:
i don't know about the giants' regular season, but they took care of business in the playoffs. among other things, they destroyed the packers' oline. looked like a good season from here. my attitude is, if your team is mathematically alive, it's still worth the ride. if they're out of contention, not so much. ymmv

Talk to me in January when your team loses 7 games.

olyfan63

Reaction score
sdog1981":n26ft5ni said:
MontanaHawk05":n26ft5ni said:

That is a different debate, I don't know what a 9-7 Seahawks Superbowl season would feel like because the Seahawks have always won 12-13 games the seasons they went. I just know my Giants friends were pissed or bummed out for about half of the season.

Back to my and the OP's original point... .

mrblitz":n26ft5ni said:

Talk to me in January when your team loses 7 games.

<snip>
Actually, sticking to the side road for a trip down memory lane on that point...

YES, longtime Seahawks fans DO KNOW (almost*) exactly how a 9-7 Super Bowl season FEELS.
I'll tell you how it feels... HELLA EXCITING!!

Because this happened in 1983-84, Curt Warner's rookie year. Yes, that's Curt Warner, the Penn State running back, not Mr. K. Warner the HOF QB.

Krieg to Largent in the 4th quarter down to the 2 yard line, and then CURT Warner running it in for the winning TD... IN MIAMI; massively exciting!! Beating DAN MARINO in the process!
Read about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/1984/01/01/sport ... ml?mcubz=3
And watch the last 5 minutes or so of the 4th quarter here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFOYYZygk7c
I don't know how it gets any more exciting than this.

Also that season, Curt Warner running for almost 1500 yards...
On Warner's first NFL touch, he put together an electrifying run of 70 yards, then fumbled at the end... but the Seahawks did recover.

Not to dismiss the frustration that fans of highly successful franchises like the Seahawks and Giants would feel during a 9-7 season... in 1983, Seahawks fans were STARVED for ANY real success, and it was the team's first two PLAYOFF games EVER. So yeah, I'll confess, speaking for a sample size of "1", i.e., me, that the current Seahawks fan base jaded by success would be howling much of a 9-7 season. But the satisfaction of an amazing wild-card playoff run, culminating in denying Tom Brady and the 16-0 Patriots a ring and undefeated season... now that would be PRICELESS, and would make any and all struggles leading up that just paving bricks on the road to destiny, and I would forever look back on that season with fondness.

That Giants 9-7 World Championship season... There are actually a couple parallels in Seattle sports history, just not the Seahawks.

Seattle Sports Parallel 1: The 2016 Seattle Sounders came from nowhere, nearly dead last, left for dead, and won the team's FIRST ever MLS Cup, with a series of jaw-dropping "how did they do that" wins along the way, culminating in the unbelievable MLS Cup win over a superior (but not quite superior enough) Toronto team. Yeah, the first part of that Sounders season sucked... but, looking back on it, like the 1978 Sonics (Seattle Sports Parallel 2) making the NBA Finals (before the 1979 championship) was one of the more unlikely championship runs ever, especially with Clint Dempsey out of action due to medical issues. Hell, the 2016 Sounders and 1977-78 Sonics had this in common: The season was going so BADLY the COACH WAS FIRED MIDSEASON, and the "interim" coach led the team to the title round. iI'm still in awe that maybe the "5th best" ever 2016 Sounders team as the unlikely group that *finally* won the "Big One".

The major difference being the 2016 Sounders WON in the title round, the 77-78 Sonics lost in 7, though they won the NBA title the following year, just not as a coming-out-of-nowhere team.

I, sample size of 1, will happily accept a 9-7 Seahawks season that ends with a Lombardi tropy. And I will curse and rage at the 7 losses along the way. We know they will nearly all be close losses. And in hindsight, that group would no doubt be one of my favorite sports memories ever, coming back from Sucksville in Seattle to turn lead into gold and Titletown Seattle. Can you imagine if the 2010-2011 Seahawks had gone on to win the Super Bowl after Beastquake? How good would that have felt?

OK, thanks for going with me on the trip down memory lane, and bearing with me during the digressions to Soccer and NBA teams. Anyone who missed that 1984 playoff game win over Miami--go check out the YouTube link and enjoy.

* Almost, because we won 2 playoff games as a 9-7 Wildcard, and needed to win the AFC title game vs the Raiders, 1 game from the Super Bowl.

Josea16

Reaction score
chris98251":2d8kvuqf said:
Next season is going to another hard off / pre season as our older player get traded and or released, were doing a slow churn now.
I agree, it started with Frank Clark and now McDowell, Jones and Richardson, Bass on the DL. The complete redo of the linebackers with youthful veterans behind Bobby and KJ and total reload of the safeties. Losing Elliott is a blow. And Griffin is the real deal.

OP
OP
Tical21

Tical21

Reaction score
I want Carson to start. I know that's wishful thinking. i'm not even as big on Carson as many folks around here are, but I think he has the potential to have a bigger impact on the culture of this team and the depression I believe looms over it, than anybody else on the roster. I'd probably put Jimmy second. If they find a way to catch red-zone fire with him, that could ignite the team in some kind of way.

It still feels to me like this team is trying to re-kindle, re-capture, rather than create a new identity. Which I believe is a permanent state until they win another one. I just realized that dumping all those guys I wanted them to dump didn't make things feel as fresh as I thought it would.

If they win another one, it will be a redemption story. It's a weight they are going to have to fight through. I was trying to manufacture a way to create the "new" feeling, but now realize it can't happen. The core of this team is just too entrenched. Can they be good enough to win despite it is the question.

Man, if they do, that's gonna be so sweet. You're going to see the weight of the world lifted off their shoulders, palpably.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mrblitz":1rkbzopl said:
my attitude is, if your team is mathematically alive, it's still worth the ride.

And this fan base, out of all 32, should know that better than anyone.

sdog1981

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1elfb2k3 said:
mrblitz":1elfb2k3 said:
my attitude is, if your team is mathematically alive, it's still worth the ride.

Really? The only time this team goes to the Superbowl is when it is the one seed. They have not won on the road after the wild card round since what? 1983? I love this team too man but come on man this team is not the 05 Steelers or 07 Giants who won every playoff game on the road en route to the Superbowl.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":px5l96kw said:
mrblitz":px5l96kw said:

One of our most memorable moments, one that cemented Lynch's reputation, came in the playoffs after a mathematically challenging year.

Beating the Saints after a losing regular season was still exhilarating, and we nearly played well enough the next week to beat the Bears.

I don't mind shaking up the roster, and this year again, we find that the final 53 looks quite strong.

Go Hawks!