Timing on DC hire

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
To be fair, he certainly seemed to be both a DC and HC in Miami. Kind of the Pete thing, where the HC owns a lot of the Defense.

Jville

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":92755ti3 said:
It would give us hope.

Because when Pete steps down, where is the HC coming from?

If we have Brian on the sidelines, I would be just fine with him becoming the HC.

If we could get Brian it would lift most of the dark clouds on our future. And give Brian the best path to being a HC in an area that supports its team well.

Brian is good enough to be a HC. He would get it in 2-3 years, maybe 1.

I would go from a pessimist about our future in the next 3-5 years to an optimist.

A lot of us would.

And it wouldn't fix the problem but it would chip away at it.

Because most coaches at some point were former players. And frankly, most former players are black. Yet weirdly, the bulk of former players that get a pipeline to HC jobs are white...a tiny % of the overall group of former players. Why?

It never made sense that in a league where the players are 70%-80% black, and we might see 60-70% of former players from college programs they come from are black, the coaches are all white. That shouldn't be a political take, it is math.

Flores is a hell of a DC, and seems to be a damned effective HC even without an effective QB (likely necessary for us later). And he gives us some sort of succession plan that we don't have now. Maybe even a chance at improving the defense (if Pete allows it)

O'my .... Identity politics visits the football forum. Might it shed some light on the unreasonable attacks on our head coach? Strange to read attacks on someone who has dedicated himself to helping others become the best they can be.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1s6o9mxp said:
To be fair, he certainly seemed to be both a DC and HC in Miami. Kind of the Pete thing, where the HC owns a lot of the Defense.

Fair enough. The guy wants to be a cause celeb because if he would have waited a week he likely would have had an HC job. Now? who knows.

Jville

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":178728rz said:
When we hired Waldron last year it felt as if PC waited and waited and waited and passed on good candidates.

This year? Lots of staffs falling and rising. So the question is: find a good available candidate now before getting snapped up by a new coaching staff (there will be 9) or wait around again and maybe someone unavailable will be available later. The risk of course is we end up with a lesser candidate.

So now or later? Are we the hunters or the settlers.

(I’ll save my thoughts of PC likely hiring a young asst coord so he is beholden and bowing down to PC instead of old grizzled ornery and aggressive and willing to tell PC to eff off when he is wrong, which I would prefer. )

I'm confident they are taking care of business. There is a lot going on this week ..................

Feb. 3 East-West Shrine Bowl, Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, Nevada.
Feb. 5 Senior Bowl, Hancock Whitney Stadium, Mobile, Alabama.
Feb. 6 NFL Pro Bowl, Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, Nevada.

.......................... plenty of opportunity to rub elbows and exchange thoughts.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Is it identity politics though Jville?

Doubtful.

It is just a terrible thing that could potentially benefit us.

Instead of watching this team go down the drain with an aging HC - we would get a capable defensive mind (evidenced by his work with the Miami defense) that could produce once grandpa gives up the keys.

Flores should be a HC. Josh Whatshisname got a job and he is terrible.

The numbers speak for themselves but we can take advantage of it by getting a potential DC that has shown he can be a capable effective HC without a capable effective QB. We otherwise would not get it but because people are stupid, and hiring terrible coaches - Flores isn't going to get a shot at a HC.

So maybe he will be OK with DC since our coach is practically ready to graduate to a HoverRound and he can replace him?

Jville

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1xql2blm said:
Is it identity politics though Jville?

Doubtful.

It is just a terrible thing that could potentially benefit us.

Instead of watching this team go down the drain with an aging HC - we would get a capable defensive mind (evidenced by his work with the Miami defense) that could produce once grandpa gives up the keys.

Flores should be a HC. Josh Whatshisname got a job and he is terrible.

The numbers speak for themselves but we can take advantage of it by getting a potential DC that has shown he can be a capable effective HC without a capable effective QB. We otherwise would not get it but because people are stupid, and hiring terrible coaches - Flores isn't going to get a shot at a HC.

So maybe he will be OK with DC since our coach is practically ready to graduate to a HoverRound and he can replace him?

Knee jerk reactions do not generate cohesive outcomes. The organization has a process they will work thru. At this point in the process, the more interviews the better. The selection will reflect perceived merit, trends and Seahawk fit ..... as it should.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yeah that process has worked great so far.....

It worked once. With Dan Quinn.

And there is rising evidence this team would be barely .500 without Wilson to carry it. That is another topic but we need a DC, he shown he can run a defense as a HC, and we are going to need a HC (ideally soon).

Whatever we are calling crap on our sideline, no Seahawk fan wants to get stuck with any of it on as our new HC.

So we get a capable defensive mind that is qualified to be a HC once Carroll is gone or gets tossed out.

But Pete's entire process picking coordinators has sucked way back to USC. You might as well do another glowing take on Pete's 'process' to pick 1st round picks! Appealing to a 'process' that seems to have a higher failure rate than success rate seems an odd thing to lean on.

Jville

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":10g9nx61 said:
Yeah that process has worked great so far.....

It worked once. With Dan Quinn.

And there is rising evidence this team would be barely .500 without Wilson to carry it. That is another topic but we need a DC, he shown he can run a defense as a HC, and we are going to need a HC (ideally soon).

Whatever we are calling crap on our sideline, no Seahawk fan wants to get stuck with any of it on as our new HC.

So we get a capable defensive mind that is qualified to be a HC once Carroll is gone or gets tossed out.

But Pete's entire process picking coordinators has sucked way back to USC. You might as well do another glowing take on Pete's 'process' to pick 1st round picks! Appealing to a 'process' that seems to have a higher failure rate than success rate seems an odd thing to lean on.

As I recall, Pete has volunteered that the hardest talent selection he makes is that of choosing coaches that will fit together as a unit. I'm paraphrasing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Forgive me for I have sinned, they literally were talking about him being a DC on NFL Network. :roll:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
What in the hell are the Hawks waiting for? Are they hoping all the decent candidates get jobs elsewhere before they have a chance to interview. Pete can't find the appropriate puppet?

Latest posts