A New .Net'ers Take on the AFC/NFC Title Games

Lynch'sLamborghini

Reaction score
All,

AFC Championship Game Review

Last week, I attended the NFC Championship Game at CenturyLink, so I was unable to watch the Broncos/Patriots except on the projection screens at the stadium. This weekend is my first opportunity to watch the AFC Championship Game in full and the TV broadcast of our victory and it really is kind of eye-opening. I'm only at the end of the first quarter of the AFC game, but already that's a tremendous amount to observe:

Pass Rush and Time in Pocket: It's truly amazing how much time Peyton has in the pocket - embarrassing actually, from the Patriots' standpoint. I've heard people say that the difference is striking on this count between the two title games; I'm eager to see if that's the case. I truly can't say whether the Hawks front seven will be successful in getting to Peyton, but I am more convinced than ever on watching this that it's the key to victory.

Brady Was Off: Any QB can have an off day, including Russell Wilson next Sunday - or, for that matter, Peyton Manning. Brady had his last weekend in Denver. The overthrows so far are really striking. There's a sideline route early in the first quarter to Amendola that could have changed the whole complexion of the first quarter, but Brady overshot by five yards.

Danger Zone: Earl Thomas?: One area of concern that I see potentially bearing out is Demaryius Thomas vs. Earl Thomas. Putting it plainly, I'm having nightmares of D. Thomas running middle and skinny posts and using a height advantage over E. Thomas in single-high safety defensive looks. The superior man coverage skills of our corner backs should help with this relative to the Patriot defensive backfield, but I worry about this being exploitable more than any other feature of our defense. Am I crazy here?

Soft in the Middle: The absence of Vince Wilfork for the Patriots is so very keenly felt. The Pats couldn't do anything without their linebackers.

So Much Green: More than once I've seen huge open spaces in front of Brady here in the first quarter. Perhaps the defense was allowing it knowing that Brady wouldn't take advantage of it, although of course he ultimately would on the TD run later in the game. But if Russell gets those kind of looks - his legs could very well be the story of the game. It will surely be scream-inducing if Russell is unwilling to run in the Meadowlands.

Patriots Defensive Backfield: ...is mediocre. Mediocre. Receivers were getting 5-6 extra yards because of the corners' unwillingness to tackle. Bizarre.

Not So Historic So Far: I think I'm coming up on the Aquib Talib injury here soon, and maybe that's the inflection point in the game - but at this stage, hard to see Peyton overwhelming the Seahawks. This team can be had.

Screen Game Was Working For Patriots: Now just under 5 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and a couple of nice screen plays by the Patriots, one for 13 yards. This raises a lot of potential for Percy, of course, but both Baldwin and Tate could make hay out of them.

Lynch > Blount: I have to believe that Lynch will have far greater success than Blount managed, aided chiefly by their unfamiliarity with his refusal to be brought down. The Broncos will also have to take care to keep Pot Roast Knighton fresh, as a bunch of running around after Russell Wilson could gas him. Opposite side of the coin: Knowshon Moreno is fast - it leaps out at you. K.J., get your pads on.

Angry Prediction: Unless we're all stewing in our soup because Russell refuses to run, I predict that Seahawks fans will be going nuts over blocks, legal and otherwise, thrown by Welker. He's exceptional at getting into traffic and mucking everything up, allowing other Broncos receivers to get free. It's a very different approach to a strength approach, such as when they run Julius Thomas on a shallow cross on 2nd/3rd and short. Incredibly frustrating.

Runner Up: On the Broncos touchdown with just under 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter to make it 20-3, Demaryius Thomas executes a perfect/gets away with an obvious pushoff on Alfonso Dennard. It's not called because the refs are letting 'em play, but also because it's executed perfectly and Dennard looks badly beaten. That's going to be maddening if they pull it off on Sherm or Byron Maxwell, but hopefully "letting 'em play" goes both ways.

4th and 2 Sack on Brady - The Backbreaker: I suppose this could just as easily happen to us, but it really appears to be poor play. With 2:30 left in the 3rd quarter, Brady is sacked on 4th and 2 to end the Patriots best drive to that point. The center pulls up and zone blocks, but appears to get lost in an assignment and helps on a double team of #97, Malik Jackson. Pot Roast Knighton then blows through and takes Brady to the turf. This does not appear to be designed: Knighton doesn't stunt but immediately is on the passrush and blows right past the right guard Logan Mankins, right where the center #62 would have been. Blocking is excellent elsewhere, so in a similar situation Russell should be able to scramble out of the pocket.

Pick Plays - Ugh: The use of pick plays in the Broncos offense is well-known, but it's really impressive how reliant they are on it. Julius Thomas dropped a touchdown on such a play on 3rd and goal on an obvious pick. It was so obvious, in fact, that Phil Simms, NFL Company Man outright called it a pick - perhaps overlooking that such a thing is illegal under NFL rules. Another candidate for angrymaking! The best way to prevent this from being a factor will be keeping the Broncos offense outside of the Red Zone (easier said than done).

Broncos Defense Can Be Had: The Broncos defense was never especially lighting it up during the AFC Championship Game - Patriots WRs were open most of the game, but the defense was aided immeasurably by Brady's inaccuracy. Brady came alive in the 4th Quarter and, prevent defense or not, he had his way with them. Much will be available for Marshawn and Russell. Most importantly - this extends to the run defense. They were able to stop Blount early on and the Patriots were forced to move away from the run, but both Ridley and Vereen were able to rip off big chunks in the 2nd half. This defense can be effectively worn down.

Conclusion:

There's simply no question that Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos present one of Seattle's most significant challenges this year. Yet while I started watching this game concerned that I would see something that Seattle wouldn't be able to beat, I finish the game more confident that the Seahawks have everything they need to win Super Bowl 48. The Patriots were weak all around, but the defense was porous, Dallas Cowboys-level porous. It was a bloodless, weak performance. Was some of that due to the skill of the Broncos? Of course, and they will get their licks in against us. But the Broncos quite simply faced little effective opposition. Whatever happens on February 2nd, you won't be able to say that about the Seattle Seahawks.

Abach

Reaction score
Great analysis. You should watch and give your thoughts about the rest of the game... I didn't record the game so I didn't get a chance to watch it.

OP
OP
L

Lynch'sLamborghini

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Appreciate it. Yes, I will be watching Hawks/Niners in the same way. I watched the first half of the AFC game last night before going to bed and am finishing it off now. I'm adding comments to the original post and will probably edit this post for the Hawks/Niners review. Seems like the best way to keep it uncluttered.

NFC Championship Game

Passing vs. Running QBs - While watching the first quarter of Hawks/49ers on NFL replay, I found myself trying to remember the last time the Seahawks faced a skilled pocket passer prior to the NFC Championship, out of concern that the switch from a Kaepernick to a stone statue in Manning could pose a problem. It only took a moment to remember that it was Drew Brees, one week before. I have to think the Hawks will be able to handle it.

Seahawks Open In The Middle - On 2nd down with 7:30 to go in the 1st quarter, the 49ers have Dixon go out to the flat, drawing Bobby Wagner out of the middle. This allows Kaepernick to run for 8. Manning won't be running into those kinds of gaps, but those are the holes that one has to be worried about Manning exploiting. Forcing the Broncos into 3rd and long will be so, so critical.

Legs - On the 3rd and 6 needle-threader to Doug Baldwin in the 1st quarter, Troy Aikman said he was "surprised Wilson elected to throw" because of all the open space ahead of him. As we know, this stems from a misconception of how and why Russell Wilson uses his legs. I dearly hope that Jack del Rio is possessed of the same misconception, because it could really confound their approach to defending Wilson.

Speed Kills - On 2nd and 10 @ 14:41 in the 2nd quarter, the 49ers ran a play similar to one the Broncos ran in their game: Gore takes the handoff and then runs across the offensive line formation, turning the edge and using his speed. Unlike the Moreno run in the Broncos game, Gore is swallowed up at the line by Malcolm Smith and two other Seahawks. This exemplified something that was commented on by others and is definitely true: both NFC defenses are vastly faster than either the Broncos or the Patriots were. It's harder to measure on run plays, but in traditional formations? Blatantly obvious.

Legs Pt. 2 - After reviewing the 51-yard bomb to Baldwin, let's be clear: the Broncos defense is not prepared to be doing this four or five times in the Super Bowl. Knighton may be dangerous off the rush, but he simply will not be able to maintain that pace in the pursuit of Wilson. One player who will be dangerous in pursuit scenarios is Danny Travaythan, but broadly the Seahawks should be able to utterly exploit the Broncos on scramble plays.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
"Pick Plays - Ugh: The use of pick plays in the Broncos offense is well-known, but it's really impressive how reliant they are on it."

I'm thinking Pete and Quinn will have an approach to combat this. Plus, considering the physicality of the Hawks DBs, it won't be as easy for the Donkeys to make this work as readily.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Take a look at the denver WR's running freely thru the pats secondary. I was appalled at how often there were 3 or 4 WR's wide open down there almost immediately. Manning does not have to decide who is open each play but rather which WIDE open WR he wants to throw to that play. I can not imagine our secondary allowing this to happen. We will jam and disrupt those WR's forcing Manning to hold the ball a bit longer which should be enough to allow our rush to get to him.

Offensively, I think we should be able to move the ball well enough on the ground and thru the air. As long as we mix up the calls like last game and execute (which I think we will) we should be able to put plenty of points on the board compared to what our D gives up. Our "struggling" O has been scoring 23 pts against the best D's in the country, I think they score more like 30+ against their D.

OP
OP
L

Lynch'sLamborghini

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":lyo32j6z said:
Take a look at the denver WR's running freely thru the pats secondary. I was appalled at how often there were 3 or 4 WR's wide open down there almost immediately. Manning does not have to decide who is open each play but rather which WIDE open WR he wants to throw to that play. I can not imagine our secondary allowing this to happen. We will jam and disrupt those WR's forcing Manning to hold the ball a bit longer which should be enough to allow our rush to get to him.

I believe that this was the key to the AFC Championship game, more important than the weak Patriots pass rush and second only to Brady's poor execution. The play of the Patriots defensive backfield was criminal, atrocious. Not only were they slow and flat-footed most of the game, but both in the secondary and around the line of scrimmage they were overpursuing, getting shrugged off and flat missing tackles. I just watched Alfonso Dennard get so badly beaten an interception practically bounced off his backside. No wonder Peyton looked like he was throwing against the scout team.