To those who think the OL isn't dramatically improving

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
It's another huge test this week for the OL.

Jacksonville's edge rushers Calais Campbell and Yannick Ngakoue each have over 10 sacks and 40 pressures.

They move Campbell all over the place. He plays both RDE and LDE, depending on the matchup, and they use him inside, like we do with Bennett. That is when I think he will be the most difficult to block: when he is matched up inside with one of our guards. He uses power and bullrushes, which our guards have struggled with. They also use a lot of stunts.

Ngakoue is highly active and quick. He poses huge challenges for a tackle like Germain Ifedi, who does not possess ideal lateral agility. Ngakoue is very fast off the ball, like Cliff Avril used to be. But he also has a diversity of pass rushing moves in his arsenal. He likes to fake like he's going wide outside and then sharply cuts inside to generate pressure.

Many of Jacksonville's sacks this year have been "coverage sacks." Campbell is very deliberate in working into the backfield.

If receivers are covered downfield, Russell could have a big game scrambling or dumping the ball off on screens.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I read where we went from 30th in Pass Pro to 8th.

8th!!

Let that settle in folks.

:2thumbs:

raisethe3

Reaction score
Aros":3nluwwa8 said:
I read where we went from 30th in Pass Pro to 8th.

8th!!

Let that settle in folks.

:2thumbs:

I am happy to hear that. I hope they can keep that up. :2thumbs:

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I hope we run the ball against Ngakoue as much as possible. He is a little light and sometimes overly eager to run into the backfield, giving up contain. I like the matchup of Brown or Ifedi vs. Ngakoue in the run game.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
If they can keep everyone healthy the rest of the season and pound some sense into Ifedi's head about false starts and other piss poor play he seems to display, we will do some great things I think/hope.

At the end of the season Ifedi needs to go though, he has proven to be a bust and if we could maybe get a case of urinal cakes for him in a trade, we should take it. (the men's room near my section was SMELLY BAD at the game last night, loots of hot beer being recycled)

GO HAWKS!!!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22l0zz3j said:
Pay Brown whatever he wants. We can't go back to Fant/Odhiambo.....................WE CAN'T............WE WON'T!!!
Agreed. Brown has been ca$h money. If Fant is as good as they say he is, he can play other spots on the line.

chris98251

Reaction score
They also went back to the Power run scheme periodically, it was where Davis got his big run in fact. Pulling Guards and a wall off of the DE.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
mistaowen":h1mwb1hx said:
Duane is still learning how to play with a QB like Russell. Couple plays it was clear he expected Russ to step forward and instead he spun away and back, making it look like he was beat. He has been very impressive so far though and I imagine a full off season with him teaching the youngins will be huge.

Side note - Lane Johnson is a really, really good RT for the Eagles. He was on an island against Michael Bennett and held his own. Their whole line is really good in general and the Hawks still had some insane pressure all night.

Agreed...I watched that matchup and Lane pretty much had his way with Michael the whole game. Dude is a stud. We need a couple like him.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I know it’s not always a great indicator of talent but did you guys notice the PFF ranks they had for those Eagles o-lineman. It was like 2nd, 3rd, 2nd from the center to the left. And the d still got some pressure. Positives on both lines last night.

mistaowen

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":2l3tm4eg said:
I know it’s not always a great indicator of talent but did you guys notice the PFF ranks they had for those Eagles o-lineman. It was like 2nd, 3rd, 2nd from the center to the left. And the d still got some pressure. Positives on both lines last night.

Plus their starting LT Jason Peters was 1st or 2nd before blowing out his knee. Their line is very good, some of the run blocking was the best I had seen in a long time. Frank Clark had his way with their backup though.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I wish I could recall who said it but one of the former players on prime said Cables zbs was pretty much blown up by rules changes the league made three seasons ago.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2baxuqqa said:
I wish I could recall who said it but one of the former players on prime said Cables zbs was pretty much blown up by rules changes the league made three seasons ago.

I thought it was just last season. Something about cut blocks, which we've seen almost none of this year.

adeltaY

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":2n48f6ut said:
mistaowen":2n48f6ut said:
Duane is still learning how to play with a QB like Russell. Couple plays it was clear he expected Russ to step forward and instead he spun away and back, making it look like he was beat. He has been very impressive so far though and I imagine a full off season with him teaching the youngins will be huge.

Side note - Lane Johnson is a really, really good RT for the Eagles. He was on an island against Michael Bennett and held his own. Their whole line is really good in general and the Hawks still had some insane pressure all night.

Agreed...I watched that matchup and Lane pretty much had his way with Michael the whole game. Dude is a stud. We need a couple like him.

Gonna stick up for Bennett here. The dude is playing through major pain in one of his feet and was going against arguable the best RT in the league. I think he did a good job in the run game and was actually pushing Lane Johnson back into Wentz's lap a couple times. Lane Johnson is the kind of guy who can take on Von Miller in single blocking and blank him. I'm proud of how hard Bennett fought against an athletically superior and healthier opponent.

Subzero717

Reaction score
We still don't have a 100 yard rusher on the entire season. That's dreadful. We might be the only team in the league. Especially when that is allegedly Cables forte.

As far as pass pro, Brown alone could bring that number up.

The main issue I have with PFF rankings is how they are formulated? Specifically the OL. What metrics are they using? With Wilson at QB I honestly don't see how they can measure it one way or another. Brown "gave up" a sack that was totally on Wilson dropping back rather than stepping up. How does PFF calculate that?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
When you watch analysist break our line down really only Brown is getting better.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1paamqux said:
When you watch analysist break our line down really only Brown is getting better.

Depends on which analyst. Brian Baldinger is taking the whole thing really personally and also has a bad habit of cherry-picking the line's worst plays.

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1zwmmern said:
brimsalabim":1zwmmern said:

Depends on which analyst. Brian Baldinger is taking the whole thing really personally and also has a bad habit of cherry-picking the line's worst plays.

Well that should leave him plenty of time to write his comments, it's like pick a play and you will find something glaring.