To you Redskins fans visiting us

CANHawk

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1yo06hkz said:
CANHawk":1yo06hkz said:
While I agree that the post itself is a little juvenile, the message itself is not.

Isn't this the 21st century? What are we doing allowing a racial slur to be used as a team name in the greatest sporting league in the world?! For the team that represents the capital city of the whole fricken country!?! Are you serious!?

While team names like Chiefs and Braves are bad enough at lest they're somewhat respectable terms (kind of like Vikings or Patriots) that depict native people in a noble manner. "Redskins" on the other hand is literally the equivalent of calling the team the Washington "Porch Monkies" the Washington "********" or the "DC Chinks". It's F'ing deplorable and DECADES overdue to be changed. People in DC should be petitioning the team and boycotting the merch to get them to change the name, but instead they hide behind the history of the team (a history that includes an original owner who was famous for his bigotry BTW - See Geroge Preston Marshall) and tradition (see that stupid ass fight song) as a reason to keep the name. It's sad, pathetic and a very good reason to want to pound Washington into oblivion on Sunday.

Congratulations on winning the prize for the Most Politically Correct post of the day! I think I'm going to puke!

Politically correct can hold my dick. Try morally correct. I'm not looking forward to having to explain to my son why it's "okay" to use a term like that to describe a football team, but not a person.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wow.. Those fans at ExtremeSkins.com are a bunch of insecure dudes... :lol:

And I thought the Niners message board was bad.

OP
OP
The Radish

The Radish

Reaction score
Anyone that wants to turn this into a political discussion about names/no names need to take such comments to the PRW Forum.

:141847_bnono:

SkinsGuru

Reaction score
CANHawk":21njawid said:
Bigpumpkin":21njawid said:
CANHawk":21njawid said:
While I agree that the post itself is a little juvenile, the message itself is not.

Isn't this the 21st century? What are we doing allowing a racial slur to be used as a team name in the greatest sporting league in the world?! For the team that represents the capital city of the whole fricken country!?! Are you serious!?

While team names like Chiefs and Braves are bad enough at lest they're somewhat respectable terms (kind of like Vikings or Patriots) that depict native people in a noble manner. "Redskins" on the other hand is literally the equivalent of calling the team the Washington "Porch Monkies" the Washington "********" or the "DC Chinks". It's F'ing deplorable and DECADES overdue to be changed. People in DC should be petitioning the team and boycotting the merch to get them to change the name, but instead they hide behind the history of the team (a history that includes an original owner who was famous for his bigotry BTW - See Geroge Preston Marshall) and tradition (see that stupid ass fight song) as a reason to keep the name. It's sad, pathetic and a very good reason to want to pound Washington into oblivion on Sunday.

Congratulations on winning the prize for the Most Politically Correct post of the day! I think I'm going to puke!

Politically correct can hold my dick. Try morally correct. I'm not looking forward to having to explain to my son why it's "okay" to use a term like that to describe a football team, but not a person.

the word "Redskin" means "great warrior" to most native american tribes . . . most of the native Americans i know are BIG redskins fans and LOVE the name . . .

nsport

Reaction score
hawktawk":3g48zqpo said:
Welcome all Washington R......s fans. Before you join in let me subtly remind you of our Seattle Politically Correct Speech Policy (SPCSP). SPCSP is not pronounced using that offensive lisp sound so as to not offend those type of persons who prefer using the lisp accent ending while verbalizing but can't stand being ridiculed for talking like a little girl. Back to the subject at hand, the racially derogatory term R......S. I even begin to shake when I have to spell it out in my head while I figure the correct number of periods to the corresponding offending letters. I think it is boorish of me to tell R........S Nation they must rename their beloved team to Washington Indigini, Washinton Originals, or even the currently trending Washington Natives. Therefore, as a community of concerned fans, may I offer up the suggestion that we discuss amongst ourselves the new enlightened term to be applied to the team from DC. May I be so bold to offer up the WASHINGTON HOPPIN HOPI. I realize that the Hopi Tribe currently resides in the beautiful scenic splendor of the Phoenix suburbs, but God knows they need a legitimate NFL team to root for.

I don't know what you all are complaining about... I think it's brilliant. Takes a dig at the Cardinals while pointing out that the most political of all cities in our United States, that has a monument erected for Abraham Lincoln who freed the slaves (and supposedly hunted vampires) can't find a way to not throw around a racial slur... adding to the fun is our lame-ass politically incompetent city of Seattle... all fantastic and OK by me.

gargantual

Reaction score

gargantual

Reaction score
I realize racism was so ingrained into our society when that name was originally chosen that noone even saw it as pejorative, but times change and the fact that something's "always been that way" doesn't erase how offensive something IS.

Imagine if some of the commonly used words of that time for an african-american (I'm obviously not going to list any of them) were instead used to name that team? The name would have been changed by the late 60s GUARANTEED!

LymonHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3bz2jug5 said:
I've never had a problem with the name Redskins. But then i'm not native american so i cant really speak to that.. I'm also not very easily offended. If there were a team called the White Crackers I would think it was awesome.

There already is...............The Canucks!

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
The Radish":340toqaw said:
I've had some interesting pleasant conversations with several of you about out 2 teams as you've been approved for member ship here.

I hope your interest in the game and pure football talk is given as well from our fans.

And thanks Shawn, I didn't realize your guys had planned to grab Russell Wilson for backup to RGIII. Sure glad for us that didn't happen. lol

:les:

I thought that this thread was started to have pure football talk. Why are we discussing their name in the Seahawks forum? This conversation sounds like it belongs to PWR-Forum.

SkinsGuru

Reaction score
gargantual":1q81q4mg said:
SkinsGuru":1q81q4mg said:
the word "Redskin" means "great warrior" to most native american tribes . . . most of the native Americans i know are BIG redskins fans and LOVE the name . . .

Ahem! "Native American Activists Want Supreme Court to Hear Redskins Case" http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/15/AR2009091500973.html

What kind of pipe you been smoking man?

lol . . . no pipes here . . . i grew up in baraga, mi, just outside the keweenaw indian community . . . i had a lot of friends there and at the time (80's) there was not sunday ticket and so watching the Skins games was almost impossible . . . except at the rec center there as they has a satellite dish and had the redskins games on every sunday and since i knew a lot of them thats where i watched and learned to become a redskins fan . . . THEY told me the term "redskins" meant great warrior . . . they even flew a washington redskins flag during the football season there . . .

gargantual

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":1oov5tgv said:
The Radish":1oov5tgv said:
I've had some interesting pleasant conversations with several of you about out 2 teams as you've been approved for member ship here.

I hope your interest in the game and pure football talk is given as well from our fans.

And thanks Shawn, I didn't realize your guys had planned to grab Russell Wilson for backup to RGIII. Sure glad for us that didn't happen. lol

:les:

I thought that this thread was started to have pure football talk. Why are we discussing their name in the Seahawks forum? This conversation sounds like it belongs to PWR-Forum.
Point granted. Sorry Skins fans, I got caught up in where the conversation was going and shall follow Radish's lead.....
We really, as fans, seem to have far more in common with each other than anything else (other than you guys having that long, storied legacy).

Hopefully we can leave behind negative impressions left by douchebag fans, who are definitely in the minority on both sides, and enjoy two on-the-rise kickass teams duke it out Sunday.

sliv

Reaction score
You guys are so important, thank God for your high morality, I just don't know what the rest of us would do without your guidance.

chawkjones

Reaction score
I grew up next to the Spokane Indian Reservation (Springdale) the School in Wellpinit on the reservation, there mascot name is Redskins and i have never heard any or my acquaintances from there complain of the mascot name. I am not a native American but know very many, just stating a point.

sliv

Reaction score
How about we leave that to the Redskin fans to figure out and just talk football.

gargantual

Reaction score
SkinsGuru":r9vybkbt said:
gargantual":r9vybkbt said:
SkinsGuru":r9vybkbt said:

Ahem! "Native American Activists Want Supreme Court to Hear Redskins Case" http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/15/AR2009091500973.html

What kind of pipe you been smoking man?

lol . . . no pipes here . . . i grew up in baraga, mi, just outside the keweenaw indian community . . . i had a lot of friends there and at the time (80's) there was not sunday ticket and so watching the Skins games was almost impossible . . . except at the rec center there as they has a satellite dish and had the redskins games on every sunday and since i knew a lot of them thats where i watched and learned to become a redskins fan . . . THEY told me the term "redskins" meant great warrior . . . they even flew a washington redskins flag during the football season there . . .
The pipe reference was my (horribly lame) attempt at snarky humor, which was off mark anyway since peace pipes were generally loaded with tobacco rather than weed ANYWAY. As well as borderline politically incorrect since that term is a stereotype itself.

Anyway, nice of you to include some real world examples of the point you were trying to make, I wouldn't have known that otherwise.

Sure wish I could come there to see the game in person. I've always wanted to visit the East Coast (my Navy tour only took me around Asia and the west coast) and your fine city in particular. As much disappointment as ending this wild ride of a season will be, hopefully we'll all remember that this is a game, watched for its entertainment value. In the heat of the moment I forget that when instead I should be grateful we still HAVE a team to root for (instead of grinding my teeth while the LA Seahawks take the field - thanks again Paul Allen!!!). Hell, just ask a Sonics fan how that feels.

We need to just straight out enjoy the frak out of it!

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2c51lwuj said:
I've never had a problem with the name Redskins. But then i'm not native american so i cant really speak to that.. I'm also not very easily offended. If there were a team called the White Crackers I would think it was awesome.
LOL that's funny.

Fight 4 Old DC

Reaction score
hawktawk":2vcb6ewr said:
Welcome all Washington R......s fans. Before you join in let me subtly remind you of our Seattle Politically Correct Speech Policy (SPCSP). SPCSP is not pronounced using that offensive lisp sound so as to not offend those type of persons who prefer using the lisp accent ending while verbalizing but can't stand being ridiculed for talking like a little girl. Back to the subject at hand, the racially derogatory term R......S. I even begin to shake when I have to spell it out in my head while I figure the correct number of periods to the corresponding offending letters. I think it is boorish of me to tell R........S Nation they must rename their beloved team to Washington Indigini, Washinton Originals, or even the currently trending Washington Natives. Therefore, as a community of concerned fans, may I offer up the suggestion that we discuss amongst ourselves the new enlightened term to be applied to the team from DC. May I be so bold to offer up the WASHINGTON HOPPIN HOPI. I realize that the Hopi Tribe currently resides in the beautiful scenic splendor of the Phoenix suburbs, but God knows they need a legitimate NFL team to root for.

Maybe you have a problem with our team name but the entire Redskins fan base does not!
The team was named in 1933 in honor of then coach Henry "Lone Star" Dietz, a native American. The helmet insignia was designed by a prominent American Indian who was proud of the heritage it conveyed.
To say Redskins is like the N word is to African Americans is ridiculous. Maybe back in the days on the frontier Redskins was negative but words change their meaning over time. "Gay" used to mean happy but now has another more likely interpretation. The N word however has never lost it's hateful tone of course. Don't try to lay your overly PC values on everyone.
There has never been any intended malice with the Redskins, period. I suppose you are also apalled at the term Redskin Potatos as well.