Tom Brady looks worse than Geno

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Every quarterback in the league has had stretches of play that this fanbase would consider unacceptable over the past couple of years, save for maybe Josh Allen.

Geno will always be held to an unrealistic standard because people are afraid of their previous perception of him being correct in spite of new evidence.

Fact is, Geno is working with as little as perhaps any other quarterback right now. Gotta grade a bit on a curve.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
When the game gets big, Geno gets small. It's just how it is. Geno is what he is. He is a good quarterback so as long the games aren't too big for him.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Can't believe how easily this sad Bucs offense moved the ball on the Hawks in Germany. Speaks a lot of the work our D needs

Threedee

Reaction score
It's a good thing for Tuberculosis that all of the other south division teams (both conferences, even) are really struggling.

GemCity

Reaction score
I agree about the big game stuff. He is after all, Geno Smith. But look how much he has overcome and the product he’s putting out. Coming in as a backup..,new team…for there being a lot of dynamic’s involved, Geno has tore it up.
I think he can fix his issue and lead this team.im ready for another season with him leading our offense tbh.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
When the game gets big, Geno gets small. It's just how it is. Geno is what he is. He is a good quarterback so as long the games aren't too big for him.
Why does the rest of the team not get this narrative attached as well?

None of them have stood out during crunch time. Quarterbacks are not mystical beings with separate powers - they're football players just like the others.

It just seems like it's a convenient narrative and that's why its repeated so often.

Jville

Reaction score
From Jordan B Peterson's "12 Rules For Life" (An antidote for Chaos) .............

#7: Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
#8: Tell the truth -- or, at least don't lie.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Why does the rest of the team not get this narrative attached as well?

None of them have stood out during crunch time. Quarterbacks are not mystical beings with separate powers - they're football players just like the others.

It just seems like it's a convenient narrative and that's why its repeated so often.
Geno Smith's record when the game is on the line in the final two minutes. I believe it's 1-7 at this point. There are some QB's that are able to step up when the game is on the line, others fall flat on their face with adversity.

Geno Smith has had opportunities to lead us to wins in the final hour, situations where young Wilson would have thrived in the past. As flawed as Wilson was, he knew how to put games away in the 4th quarter. For whatever reason, Geno Smith has a mental block.

Geno Smith was a contender for being a number one overall pick and Heisman winner at WVU. He dropped to the second round because of an epic collapse in the second half of the season. He fell apart during crunch time all the way back to college.

I'm not seeing anything with the Seahawks that has proven that it's changed. Geno has had plenty of opportunities to win us games with his arm when the game is on the line.

The big roadblock that fans have with Geno Smith is the amount of money that he's going to get paid. It's likely going to be to the tune of 35-40 million per year. Is he worth that much money? My answer would be absolutely not. He's not a bad QB and he has some really good traits.

Unfortunately, if you're paying a large percentage of your salary cap to a QB, they had better be a game changing sort of talent. Geno Smith is not a game changing QB. He's a solid QB that'll do everything you ask of him to do. He's not bad in the least, but I think at a potential 40 million per year he starts becoming a liability -- especially with DK getting over 100 million as well.

It's also worth noting that the offense play calls haven't been doing Geno Smith any favors lately. It's like we have Russell Wilson back there with how we're calling the plays. Where is the LOS adjustments? Why are plays coming in at the last second? It's like they handcuffed the dude after he got too confident slinging the ball in tight windows.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This has been a very interesting season in respect to teams with top 5 or 10 QBs struggling. Here’s the list -

Packers with Rodgers - they may have finally turned things around but they looked lost for much of the season.

Bucs with Brady- They aren’t putting up points as they used to. Brady is getting his yards but doing very little else when it comes to scoring.

Colts with Ryan - They played better with Wentz at QB. Reich was fired during the season.

Broncos with Wilson. Worst scoring offense in the league. Hackett now fired.

Rams with Stafford. Stafford is injured but they weren’t very good with while was playing.

Last edited:

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Geno Smith's record when the game is on the line in the final two minutes. I believe it's 1-7 at this point. There are some QB's that are able to step up when the game is on the line, others fall flat on their face with adversity.

Geno Smith has had opportunities to lead us to wins in the final hour, situations where young Wilson would have thrived in the past. As flawed as Wilson was, he knew how to put games away in the 4th quarter. For whatever reason, Geno Smith has a mental block.

Geno Smith was a contender for being a number one overall pick and Heisman winner at WVU. He dropped to the second round because of an epic collapse in the second half of the season. He fell apart during crunch time all the way back to college.

I'm not seeing anything with the Seahawks that has proven that it's changed. Geno has had plenty of opportunities to win us games with his arm when the game is on the line.

The big roadblock that fans have with Geno Smith is the amount of money that he's going to get paid. It's likely going to be to the tune of 35-40 million per year. Is he worth that much money? My answer would be absolutely not. He's not a bad QB and he has some really good traits.

Unfortunately, if you're paying a large percentage of your salary cap to a QB, they had better be a game changing sort of talent. Geno Smith is not a game changing QB. He's a solid QB that'll do everything you ask of him to do. He's not bad in the least, but I think at a potential 40 million per year he starts becoming a liability -- especially with DK getting over 100 million as well.

It's also worth noting that the offense play calls haven't been doing Geno Smith any favors lately. It's like we have Russell Wilson back there with how we're calling the plays. Where is the LOS adjustments? Why are plays coming in at the last second? It's like they handcuffed the dude after he got too confident slinging the ball in tight windows.
Russell Wilson had Marshawn Lynch and a murderous defense.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Wilson had a lot of comebacks even without both of those players.
He had a much better team. Baldwin and Lockett, and a defense that kept them in games and seemed to adjust and have the ability to do so in the second half.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
He had a much better team. Baldwin and Lockett, and a defense that kept them in games and seemed to adjust and have the ability to do so in the second half.
Once again, the defense has been in the bottom third of the nfl for years now.

Geno Smith also has Lockett, DK Metcalf, three extremely good TEs.

Geno Smith has had this reputation all the way back to his collegiate days. He’s better than he was in this regard, but he’s still not great in crunch time.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Once again, the defense has been in the bottom third of the nfl for years now.

Geno Smith also has Lockett, DK Metcalf, three extremely good TEs.

Geno Smith has had this reputation all the way back to his collegiate days. He’s better than he was in this regard, but he’s still not great in crunch time.
Wasn't that sort of when we started experiencing this type of Seahawks team? The soft one? He carried us for a few years, but, did we go anywhere? Geno is not a bum destined to always fold in the end of games, that's ridiculous, I trust that JS can give him a real team and an evaluation like this might be applicable at that point.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Wasn't that sort of when we started experiencing this type of Seahawks team? The soft one? He carried us for a few years, but, did we go anywhere? Geno is not a bum destined to always fold in the end of games, that's ridiculous, I trust that JS can give him a real team and an evaluation like this might be applicable at that point.
And that is exactly what I'm eluding to here, that bit about "we tried it with wilson". Geno Smith is likely going to get over 40 million dollars per year. He's not going to come at a discount, cut throat rate. Therein lies the problem with a Geno Smith character. He's great at a discounted rate, but at the current QB rates, Geno Smith all of the sudden loses his luster.

Geno Smith does a lot of things well, but I don't see him as the type of guy that can elevate a roster. He's very much so a fall the way the wind blows sort of QB. The prospect of paying that sort of QB the current QB market rate is hard to swallow.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
And that is exactly what I'm eluding to here, that bit about "we tried it with wilson". Geno Smith is likely going to get over 40 million dollars per year. He's not going to come at a discount, cut throat rate. Therein lies the problem with a Geno Smith character. He's great at a discounted rate, but at the current QB rates, Geno Smith all of the sudden loses his luster.

Geno Smith does a lot of things well, but I don't see him as the type of guy that can elevate a roster. He's very much so a fall the way the wind blows sort of QB. The prospect of paying that sort of QB the current QB market rate is hard to swallow.
I can agree with that, I’m very curious what JS is going to for sure, good input sir thanks

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Russell’s supreme confidence mixed with his athleticism was special, that is something Geno doesn’t have, he has a classic nfl arm and accuracy though

IndyHawk

Reaction score

Geno is not getting $40 million..I'll write him back
I'm not to going to bother with the old "When Russ had legs".

Last edited: