Top-five Pass rushing teams in the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Looks like we are doing ok. Hopefully this rating system is better than their QBR rating system.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9752856/nfl-five-best-pass-rushing-teams-nfl

When you generate pressure as a defense, you force teams to get rid of the ball quicker and make life easier on your coverage unit by asking them to cover receivers for less time. So measuring sacks tells only a partial story. You have to go deeper. With that in mind, this week we're using our grading system to produce a list of the best pass-rushing defenses.............

Here are the five best pass-rushing teams in the NFL, along with the players with the highest and lowest grades for Week 4.

Top five pass-rushing NFL teams

2. Seattle Seahawks: +20.7
Unsure of whether Chris Clemons would be much of a contributor this season, the team went out and signed arguably the top marquee free-agent defensive ends in Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett. They are reaping the benefits already, because not only is Clemons back and getting pressure, but both Bennett and Avril are delivering. The hugely underrated Bennett (who avoided a serious injury Sunday in Houston) has the second-highest pass-rushing productivity score of all defensive players, and Avril is 10th in the defensive ends category. And now the Seahawks are about to get Bruce Irvin back. He lacks a complete game, but provides an added speed element to the pass rush. If the Seahawks got more push up the middle, they'd likely be in the top spot.

bigcc

Reaction score
Mcdaniels and Bennett don't give push up the middle?

Also overall that number is inflated due to several coverage sacks I've noticed.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I don't know how it fits into their whole little rating system, but Clinton Mcdonald has to have been some kind of contributor to that rating. Dude has been an absolute BEAST since coming back from being cut.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Not only Irvin comes back, but it looks as if Jordan Hill will be able to contribute soon as well.

Hill has ultra active hands and can be slippery wet in the pocket. He can factor as a pass-rusher.

This team is so awesomely stacked in depth.

And shout-out to Clinton McDonald, one of my favorite players, even before being brought back and hitting a switch in his game. 2.5 sacks in 3 games (And someone questioned the possibility that he couldn't even obtain 6 sacks, yet he's on pace for 12.5 sacks in 15 games. To reach 6 sacks, McDonald would need to only register about .30 sacks a game. Or just 1 sack for every 13.71 QTRs. 71% of 1 QTR is about 10 minutes and 39 seconds.)

davidonmi

Reaction score
did anyone else hear tim ryan challenge our pass rush around halftime, and after that we recorded 4 sacks I think in the 2nd half and OT

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
davidonmi":1tzypokq said:
did anyone else hear tim ryan challenge our pass rush around halftime, and after that we recorded 4 sacks I think in the 2nd half and OT
Yes, but he was basically right as of that time.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Ryan said he is not seeing the advertised pass rush from Seahawks. He also said that the team is missing a J.J. Watt caliber inside pressure guy, and that we do have the speed on the edges. I think he was right. But pretty much all teams except Houston are missing that caliber guy. Dude is a one-of-a-kind monster.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tim Ryan is a Seahawk hater and he tends to say a lot of negative things towards the Seahawks while being uber positive about the opposition.

I wouldn't think much of it... no team is as deep as Seattle is... and the Seahawks will only continue to get better as they get everyone back and start figure out what pass-r ush formation are the more dominant sets.

Who cares if Seattle doesn't have one player who can get 16+ sacks when they have 5 players who may be capable of grabbing 8+ sacks in Bennett, Avril, Clemons, Irvin, and McDonald plus another 4 players who could may be capable in notching about 3-4 sacks in Schoefield, McDaniel, Mebane, and Hill.

Not saying 9 Seahawks will account for 56 sacks but the potential is there and its a down right scary thought once the chemistry of it comes together.

kearly

Reaction score
Tim Ryan isn't a Seahawks hater.

And regarding the OP, the analysis was provided by Pro Football Focus. I think with PFF, they generally get it right about 80% of the time. Sometimes they are wildly wrong, but usually they are pretty close to painting a picture of what is really going on. In my opinion, I think they do pretty well with defensive players. I almost always agree with their defensive scoring. They seem to be a bit off kilter on offense sometimes, but on defense they usually won't pan a player who did well.

As far as our push up the middle, it's more splashy, less consistent. So I don't take issue there. And after last year, it's hard to tell what a good interior push even looks like. Even a decent push up the middle looks great to us given what we're used to.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Tim Ryan was spot on for his description of the first half pressure. One early pressure and then nothing. Big pocket with plenty of room for the QB to step up. Fortunately that changed in the second half.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bigcc":220zze16 said:
Mcdaniels and Bennett don't give push up the middle?

Also overall that number is inflated due to several coverage sacks I've noticed.

where do you get "dont" from "If the Seahawks got more push up the middle"?

With Irvin back it will be great to see the D really hit a stride. what a fantastic second half from that unit

12th_Bob

Reaction score
My guess is with Irvin back, his speed will threaten the edge making OT nervous but if he is stunting to the middle with the edge rushers we have and McDonald/Hill/Mebane inside, holy crap that pocket will last about 3 seconds in 3rd and long.

Luck is pretty clutch and can be slippery but I don't think he is going to have much time this week to go deep.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Gotta agree with there analysis here. The interior pass rush, though pretty good, still needs to be more consistent for us.

niveky

Reaction score
3rdededed to Kearly and Tim Ryan not being a Seahawks hater. Unfortunately he is not one of the moving the chains guys on siriusxm now(jim miller is good..just like Tim Ryan Better) Last year he was paired with the other regular host, Pat Kirwin. Pat Kirwin and Pete go way back and are pretty good friends. Tim and Pat were an awesome team on moving the chains and they would often agree in regards to analysis on Seahawks games and the quality of the roster. Tim, and Pat for that matter, would always come at things from a lot of different angles and what if's...lot of x and o type of talk that was really cool. They would often times be high on the Seahawks but would add their own hypothetical situations if other teams did this or that, or how the Seahawks as a team or individual players would match up with other teams and their players and schemes. Never got any sense of hate from Tim for the Seahawks, just a balanced analysis and questions about valid concerns going into any game.

davidonmi

Reaction score
wow I make a comment on what someone said and it turns into a argument about whether he's a hater or not.
I personally don't think he's a seahawks hater, but as a commentator, I'm not a fan, he's better than Meyers though

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
davidonmi":1eq5ipm3 said:
wow I make a comment on what someone said and it turns into a argument about whether he's a hater or not.

Welcome to .NET, please enjoy the stay and be sure your trays are in their upright and locked positions prior to takeoff.

bryantology79

Reaction score
sucks t-rock left movin the chains. just do both! pk juggles that and cbs why can't you? talk about it

rideaducati

Reaction score
SoCalSeahawk":3d86cdto said:
I agree with Kearly 100%, Tim Ryan is not a Seahawks hater.

He may not "hate" the Seahawks, but he sure does love the niners. His analysis of the Seahawks tends to be more negative than positive and the total opposite when discussing the niners.

Status
Not open for further replies.