Trading Back

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
McGruff":1is4f5j4 said:
Lords of Scythia":1is4f5j4 said:
Hawkspur":1is4f5j4 said:
It looks like there should be a fair few players at positions of need who fit the profile of what Schneider and Carroll would be looking for. I'd be surprised to see too much stockpiling for next year.

edit - chances are they'll have a similar, or even better number of picks to work with next season too. Possibly even including a first rounder!
Why? Are they getting compensatory picks next year? For whom?

This pretty relaible site projects 4 for us . . .

3rd - Byron Maxwell
5th - James Carpenter
6th - Malcolm Smith
7th - OBrien Schofield

We haven't signed a single FA that qualifies against our comp picks.
Oh thanks. I didn't know about this. It rocks! Byron Maxwell's the only one that really hurts. JS is a genuis the way he works the comp system.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It'd be interesting to have a trading up thread and to discuss the pro and con of an early trade up.

Given the team has a likely 3rd rd. comp pick in 2016 (Maxwell) could they trade their 2015 2nd and their 2016 3rd to move up to draft in the top of the 2nd round? Is this a move you might potentially expect from JS?

mikeak

Reaction score
original poster":3hpyjo7j said:
I think we are personally going to trade back a fair few of our picks this year in anticipation of next years much deeper draft.

1) We are in the window right now. We won a superbowl and lost another one narrowly. IMHO while you draft to stay at the top you can't keep pushing out what you need as then you risk being on the outside looking in sooner rather than later

2) I see it as a pretty deep draft in the middle. Just because it is not loaded with first round talent doesn't make it a bad draft. Next year is deeper as far as top talent goes but not necessarily as middle talent goes

Point being - rounds 2-5 have really good players for those rounds. Stockpiling those picks because next year has 35 guys that are true first round talent doesn't help one bit. What are you going to do next year when you have three 3rd and four 4th round picks - doesn't help you get anyone in the deeper first round

netskier

Reaction score
What about trading some of those stockpiled picks next year, after the talent pockets have been identified?

Willyeye

Reaction score
McGruff":3tfemhln said:
Lords of Scythia":3tfemhln said:
Hawkspur":3tfemhln said:
It looks like there should be a fair few players at positions of need who fit the profile of what Schneider and Carroll would be looking for. I'd be surprised to see too much stockpiling for next year.

edit - chances are they'll have a similar, or even better number of picks to work with next season too. Possibly even including a first rounder!
Why? Are they getting compensatory picks next year? For whom?

This pretty relaible site projects 4 for us . . .

3rd - Byron Maxwell
5th - James Carpenter
6th - Malcolm Smith
7th - OBrien Schofield

We haven't signed a single FA that qualifies against our comp picks.

This is not quite correct. The 7th round comp pick for Schofield was not the only 7th round pick. Jeron Johnson also qualified for a comp pick...a 7th round pick that would have ended up being the same position as the Schofield position, but because the Hawks signed UFA, Ahtyba Rubin, it negated the comp pick for Jeron Johnson. Luckily Schofield also signed, for just a tad less money than Johnson, and still netted us the 4th comp pick for next year's draft.

I'm excited about getting 11 picks again in 2016.