Training Camp July 31st

ACFan

Reaction score
sammyc521":2mcb995y said:
Yeah, Collins #36 took some at KR but the thing that Lockett and Richardson have (outside of great hands) were the first burst. They just take fewer steps to get up to speed and I don't see anyone other people that have that ability to explode off of the catch.

Apparently he did KR as Arkansas too.

thanks sammy, he may have done it his freshman year

chris98251

Reaction score
Having guys comfortable catching the ball on kick offs is important, you never know when you will need them, Lockett takes a long pass and is gassed, someone inactive that week and another player needs to step up, short kick and the up guy needs to field it, kick off balls are funny, they tend to end over end and the wind will grab them, hold them up or push them seeing them and catching them especially on the run is an art in itself.

I always thought catching punts was a lot easier, Punters tend to kick it to the side a lot more and your perception is better and the ball while it can still hang doesn't turn end over end.

rcambaker

Reaction score
sammyc521":287v4d07 said:
rcambaker":287v4d07 said:
You were sitting right behind us. My wife and daughter are in one of your pictures.
Noice. Post your thoughts if you get a chance.

I don't have a whole lot to add because my oldest daughter got the chance to be in the kids viewing area so I couldn't see a whole lot of the practice while watching her. However, a couple of things:

Richards looks so smooth and fast. I really hope that he stays healthy.
Marsh goes all out all the time, he chased the ball carrier all the way to the goal line from mid field a couple of plays
Cotton is a big dude.
Heaps made a nice throw to Lockett down the sideline, however Kelcie McCray read it perfectly and could have destroyed Lockett if is was a live game.
Lockett is so fast and a great route runner.

Also Hauschka and Ferris gave every kid an autograph that was in the kids viewing area. Hauschka even asked out loud if there was anyone else left before he took off. A class act.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Ok.. my day 2 notes. Obviously I attended with Sammy again, who brought breakfast this time. The Metropolitan Grill provides the food available at camp, and it has an awesome rep..so..Im surprised they attach their name to the breakfast "sandwich" served.

On to football.. some will repeat what Sammy said.

Defense, as Sammy noted , is well ahead of the offense. Thats normal at this point in camp, but its REALLY ahead. Like, the offense only got things done in scrimmage type situations when the D was told to hold off, or on plays where if there was contact the QB would have been blown up. On one play Russell had to roll to his right, then was forced to double back right into Cassius Marsh who would have killed him. Russ also had a nice long run, but it was purely enabled by that red jersey of his (no contact).

Like yesterday, neither Boykin nor Heaps moved the offense. At all. To the point I would say that by ..say Day 4 if the situation hasnt improved I would expect Seattle to make a move there.

Foxx, who caught two long TDs yesterday had a couple of decent grabs today and, as Sammy noted, the longest completion of the day on a trick play. He was pumped after that. No one has told Foxx he is just a camp body and he looks like he might make some decision making difficult. He was released in the first wave of cuts last year, but if keeps this up he really will challenge for a spot.

Its really hard to evaluate RBs without real contact going on. I really couldnt distinguish between Collins and Madden in particular, as far as success went. Christine Michael was consistent again, which was always his problem before.

Cassius Marsh lines up all over the place..between that, his uniform mods, his energy..he is looking like a poor mans Clay Matthews.

Bennett continues to be the energy provider, dancing, giving full effort no matter what he does, and just generally being a presence.

Montese Overton is listed as a DE but practiced with the LBs and looks like he could be a find.

Tanner McEvoy, #6, is a guy I mentioned yesterday. He is listed as a safety but is practicing with the WRs. He is 6ft 6inches tall and had a TD catch today. Practice squad candidate?

Jeremy Lane got the start at RCB today..after Shead got them yesterday. So rumors of Simon being the RCB seem off base. Personally I like Lane in the slot but he did fine.

Brandon Browner.. I disagree with some of what I saw written in tweets about the practice. He did ok but he had to be corrected on position a couple of times, including by a rookie. He didnt seem to have a great feel for safety. Its early.

There really isnt much else to say..few plays of note. The front 7 were dominant, no matter whether it was the 1s or 2s or 3s playing each other.

Brandon Cottom is listed as TE, and played some FB last year but lined up all day at FB today , even had a catch out of the backfield.

Thats all I got.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
GeekHawk":36i31kx9 said:
hawksfansinceday1":36i31kx9 said:
<non-important stuff>

Mostly I want to know where you were when you got that pic of the sign that says "Winding road next 99 miles"...
Oh my friend that is some funny shit right there.

OK, the sign is just east of Kooskia, Idaho (pronounced "kooskee") and is the gateway to 100 miles of absolute motorcycling bliss man. It's US Highway 12 and that stretch ends in Lolo, Montana after going over Lolo Pass the summit of which is on the Idaho/Montana border. It travels for many miles along the Clearwater river canyon and its tree lined canyon walls. It has only one or two roads that even join it in that stretch, no overpasses no businesses and virtually no houses. It is an absolute MUST ride! I've ridden it 3 or 4 times and would do it every summer given the chance and doubt I'd ever tire of it. My only caution is be alert for deer.

Here's a couple pix to show what I mean.......

0Clearwater20River20Canyon20Idaho c zps37ygukoh

0Clearwater20River20Canyon20Idaho e zpsq5ydabmq

0Clearwater20River20Canyon20Idaho i zpsnf39zno4

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sammy and Vetamur: my apologies for the thread hijack btw, and thank you for the reports. I know D is ahead of O at this point but damn I'm starting to worry about the o-line already if RW is running form his life. Hopefully practicing against a great defense will translate to doing well as the season opens and moves along.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":opzeztfx said:
GeekHawk":opzeztfx said:
hawksfansinceday1":opzeztfx said:
<non-important stuff>

Mostly I want to know where you were when you got that pic of the sign that says "Winding road next 99 miles"...

OK, the sign is just east of Kooskia, Idaho (pronounced "kooskee") and is the gateway to 100 miles of absolute motorcycling bliss man. It's US Highway 12 and that stretch ends in Lolo, Montana after going over Lolo Pass the summit of which is on the Idaho/Montana border. It travels for many miles along the Clearwater river canyon and its tree lined canyon walls. It has only one or two roads that even join it in that stretch, no overpasses no businesses and virtually no houses. It is an absolute MUST ride! I've ridden it 3 or 4 times and would do it every summer given the chance and doubt I'd ever tire of it. My only caution is be alert for deer.

Great area.. love me some north central Idaho

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2k1kfkvu said:
hawksfansinceday1":2k1kfkvu said:
GeekHawk":2k1kfkvu said:
hawksfansinceday1":2k1kfkvu said:
<non-important stuff>

Great area.. love me some north central Idaho
Not to get off track here, but I've traveled Lolo Pass on my way back from a job at Missoula, and it is indeed a fantastic ride :2thumbs: ...Saw some Rams (the good ones)& Ewes on the hillsides LOL.
Definitely DO want to take your time, as there is just too much beauty that you'd miss by going hell-bent for election.

Now, back to TC, I wouldn't do too much fretting over the Offensive Line TRAINING at this stage of the Season, as there is bound to be some mistakes made by all the position changes made at this time...Come regular Season though, I hope Cable has them playing better than they did at the beginning of last Season.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
You can't judge the OL when they are not wearing pads and they don't allow contact. I would be more worried if this is what we saw towards the first pre-season game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
:greetingsearthling:
sammyc521":3lbjfjyi said:
You can't judge the OL when they are not wearing pads and they don't allow contact. I would be more worried if this is what we saw towards the first pre-season game.
Yes, those first couple of series in that first preseason game are going to be very interesting.

McGruff

Reaction score
sammyc521":2bo9xglc said:

Good news is they were wearing pads today, and Ifedi was going hard after Bennett almost to the point of a brawl.