Trevone Boykin’s #2 QB bid aided by Dak Prescott promotion

Jville

Reaction score
Tony Romo’s injury in Dallas could aid Trevone Boykin’s bid to remains Seahawks’ No. 2 QB

Asked about Boykin’s mobility, Caroll again mentioned how nice it was to have a style like Wilson’s behind the starter.

“It is something we hoped was going to happen, him playing the game the way he plays it,” the coach said. “He’s shown us the exact same abilities that he had in college. A lot of poise, a lot of learnability. He’s just doing it.

“I think this really helps us. We’re staying in the style. If Russ has to come out, we pop right in, we stay with what we’ve been doing. We don’t have to shift gears at all. I have looked forward to that happening. I think it’s there for us.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

Read more here: [urltargetblank]http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article98453452.html#storylink=cpy[/urltargetblank]

Tical21

Reaction score
What does any of this have to do with Tony Romo?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":4eohxbwj said:
Wrong forum

The subject of the article is Trevone Boykin.

But, I'll alter the title just for you.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
That was a poorly written article by Bell, and the article contradicts the headline. One has nothing to do with the other IMHO.
Boykin made the team before Romo got injured.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3hzztwgt said:
The the title is a bit misleading??? One has nothing to do with the other IMHO.
Boykin made the team before Romo got injured.

I wouldn't disagree. But there are some who have yet to buy in to Boykin. So for them this development might be relevant.

For those members that may need to catch up >>>>> The Cowboys were the other team interested in Boykin. So with the injury to Romo and subsequent promotion of Prescott, they have a renewed interest in a backup quarterback.

bloodkingg

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2pe1tjxs said:
The more I see of Boykin, the more he resembles RW. YMMV
Yesss especially weak side bootleg for a touchdown. Every time I see that replay I think Wilson isgoing to run out but then he makes it to the corner and I'm like wow that's the old Wilson then I'm like what oh duh that's Boykin!!

kearly

Reaction score
Normally I can tell when Pete is genuinely praising someone or is merely saying nice things about that person as coachspeak. In the case of Boykin, I'm not sure if Pete is actually all that impressed or if he's just trying to boost Boykin's confidence because John Schneider struck out trying to find a veteran backup in a trade this month and Boykin is what we've got.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":5fg17qnq said:
Normally I can tell when Pete is genuinely praising someone or is merely saying nice things about that person as coachspeak. In the case of Boykin, I'm not sure if Pete is actually all that impressed or if he's just trying to boost Boykin's confidence because John Schneider struck out trying to find a veteran backup in a trade this month and Boykin is what we've got.
I think we got lucky when Boykin came in to compete for the backup to RW, his style of play isn't exactly like Wilson, but it's close enough that the O-Line won't have to make any drastic changes should (God Forbid) he has to go in and play.
Heaps?, not so much.
Besides, we really need for a Wilson backup to do a better Wilson-esque job than T-Jack did.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":39mul4yf said:
My gut is telling me that Pete is NOT blowing smoke on this one.
To me it looks like they are comfortable for TB to be the backup.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":18xwmvb3 said:
Kearly you are respected like a God around here (personally I'm still trying to figure out why) but it is what it is. And what it is....you are wrong, so definitely wrong, that I wonder about you and believe you have serious old school bias. Boykin is the perfect backup for Wilson and it's not even a question.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I'm in the minority it seems to bring Tarvaris back as the No. 2 and develop Trevone on the practice squad. That's what this article is about, after all. Tarvaris is a polished veteran who would keep us churning forward in case of an emergency.

Seafan

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":y7yxhrdf said:
kearly":y7yxhrdf said:
Kearly you are respected like a God around here (personally I'm still trying to figure out why) but it is what it is. And what it is....you are wrong, so definitely wrong, that I wonder about you and believe you have serious old school bias. Boykin is the perfect backup for Wilson and it's not even a question.

There is no doubt the Hawks were looking for a veteran backup. IMO the team isn't likely as concerned as they were (and should have been). IMO Boykin could likely function as well as TJack and perhaps better. TJack was never going to take any team to the Super Bowl He was a decent emergency replacement. I believe that Pete believes they have that now in Boykin. With the running game and defense, Boykin could likely replace Russ for a game or two if needed. Dak Prescott is without a doubt more NFL ready than Boykin. He and Elliott will be battling it out for OROY.

I hadn't heard about a veteran trade. I know they attempted to make a waiver claim.

And as mentioned in another thread - the reason Boykin may very well feel more secure is because the available QB market just got smaller. Dallas and most other teams are ahead of the Hawks on waiver claims and the market is slim pickings anyway. Earlier in camp I thought it possible the Hawks might make a move for a QB like Barkley when he gets cut. The team likely doesn't feel the pressing need.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Boykin would never even get close to making it to the practice squad. He would be snatched up quick.

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":1q3xi66b said:
I get the exact same vibe. He isn't his normal loosey goosey jacked up Pete when praising Boykin.

Tical21

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3pwuw66y said:
kearly":3pwuw66y said:
Hahahahahaha! Take that, Kip! Just made my day.