Trevone Boykin’s #2 QB bid aided by Dak Prescott promotion

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3d220op5 said:
kearly":3d220op5 said:
Normally I can tell when Pete is genuinely praising someone or is merely saying nice things about that person as coachspeak. In the case of Boykin, I'm not sure if Pete is actually all that impressed or if he's just trying to boost Boykin's confidence because John Schneider struck out trying to find a veteran backup in a trade this month and Boykin is what we've got.
Kearly you are respected like a God around here (personally I'm still trying to figure out why) but it is what it is. And what it is....you are wrong, so definitely wrong, that I wonder about you and believe you have serious old school bias. Boykin is the perfect backup for Wilson and it's not even a question.
IMO this is a personal attack, a rather sideways one but one none the less. Kearly offers opinions and most of the rest of us appreciate his efforts a great deal but I don't think he's treated "like a God" and if someone disagrees with him they state that disagreement. I know I have on several occasions. Must you forever be so confrontational and on the offensive? Can't you learn to state a disagreement in a reasonable, more pleasant fashion?

As for the ability of Boykin to backup Russ, not sure how you can say it isn't even a question and that he's perfect for the role when we won't know for sure if that's the case unless God forbid Russ gets hurt. Now if you mean it would appear that because of having a similar skillset that he'd be a great man for the job, then sure I could get on board with that opinion. But we won't know if he or T-Jack or anyone else is great for the job unless they're thrust into game action. Let's hope we never find out.

chris98251

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":371awcz1 said:
kearly":371awcz1 said:
Normally I can tell when Pete is genuinely praising someone or is merely saying nice things about that person as coachspeak. In the case of Boykin, I'm not sure if Pete is actually all that impressed or if he's just trying to boost Boykin's confidence because John Schneider struck out trying to find a veteran backup in a trade this month and Boykin is what we've got.
Kearly you are respected like a God around here (personally I'm still trying to figure out why) but it is what it is. And what it is....you are wrong, so definitely wrong, that I wonder about you and believe you have serious old school bias. Boykin is the perfect backup for Wilson and it's not even a question.

He offers well thought out posts about different aspects of the game and players, the membership respects his views because he takes the time to be in depth and thorough. Doesn't mean he is always right, in fact if there is someone on this Forum that is then they are vastly under employed, I hardly think that condescending swipes help forward a topic or conversation however and basically takes the subject matter off topic many times.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
What I read into Pete's assessment of Boykin is that he is a similar player to Russia and we will see if he hopefully is up to the task if needed. In other words he is hopefully optimistic.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":piftmj9e said:
MizzouHawkGal":piftmj9e said:
kearly":piftmj9e said:
IMO this is a personal attack, a rather sideways one but one none the less. Kearly offers opinions and most of the rest of us appreciate his efforts a great deal but I don't think he's treated "like a God" and if someone disagrees with him they state that disagreement. I know I have on several occasions. Must you forever be so confrontational and on the offensive? Can't you learn to state a disagreement in a reasonable, more pleasant fashion?

As for the ability of Boykin to backup Russ, not sure how you can say it isn't even a question and that he's perfect for the role when we won't know for sure if that's the case unless God forbid Russ gets hurt. Now if you mean it would appear that because of having a similar skillset that he'd be a great man for the job, then sure I could get on board with that opinion. But we won't know if he or T-Jack or anyone else is great for the job unless they're thrust into game action. Let's hope we never find out.

I would hope that he gets chances in the 4th quarter with the score 2tds ahead. Game/Time managing is something that he will have to learn on the field with the butterflies and .netters watching. :mrgreen:

But he will need to get his feet wet sometime. I hope it is when we have a game wrapped up with a bowtie.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1ag3b340 said:
hawksfansinceday1":1ag3b340 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1ag3b340 said:
kearly":1ag3b340 said:

I would hope that he gets chances in the 4th quarter with the score 2tds ahead. Game/Time managing is something that he will have to learn on the field with the butterflies and .netters watching. :mrgreen:

But he will need to get his feet wet sometime. I hope it is when we have a game wrapped up with a bowtie.
Yes, that's of course ideally when we want to see him start to get his backup sea legs.

StoneCold

Reaction score
kearly":prljbqdf said:

A little of both.He obviously has some skills, but his pass accuracy leaves something to be desired. Reminds me more of RG 3 than RW. Hopefully he can contain the big wind up in his throwing motion and get crisper, more accurate passes. He needs another year to mature and see what he really has. If RW can stay healthy he'll likely be a good backup next year.

mikeak

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2nbcgoia said:
kearly":2nbcgoia said:

I must have missed how we should leave the moderating to others so here is my thought :)

1) How about softening the tone a bit? We try to refrain on personal attacks here

2) Kearly brings his insights on the game, the players which lots of us appreciates which is very different from opinions about what should / shouldn't happen to the organization.

Anyone analyzing the games and players performance is appreciated. We may not all agree with everything they say which is totally fine and we RESPECTFULLY tell them why we disagree. Not just "you are wrong" and "you have bias"

There is in my opinion (see what I did there) MOST definitely a question about a rookie coming in. As far as I know NOBODY on the entire planet has seen a single current rookie play a real NFL game that matters. This is especially important for QBs since the defenses in pre-season is nothing like the defenses during the regular season......

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
StoneCold":2llnuaid said:
kearly":2llnuaid said:

A little of both.He obviously has some skills, but his pass accuracy leaves something to be desired. Reminds me more of RG 3 than RW. Hopefully he can contain the big wind up in his throwing motion and get crisper, more accurate passes. He needs another year to mature and see what he really has. If RW can stay healthy he'll likely be a good backup next year.

Mechanics .... there can be little doubt that Carl Smith and Trevone Boykin have a lot of work in front of them. No surprise there as all rookie free agent quarterbacks face considerable developmental challenges. What is significant to me is that Boykin represents another departure from convention as a followup decision at the quarterback position. A possible next step in a commitment to an evolving offense that cuts the cord with more traditional offenses.

Then again, I might be reading to much into these events. Although, It is interesting that a few media observers back east have characterized the Boykin experiment as an interesting direction Carroll's team has taken ...... while careful to avoid publishing any judgement.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1kwg1pjg said:
That was a poorly written article by Bell, and the article contradicts the headline. One has nothing to do with the other IMHO.
Boykin made the team before Romo got injured.

If they don't have anything to do with each other, they don't contradict each other.

That is all. :)

razor150

Reaction score
Unless we can get someone who is started quality we are screwed no matter who the back up is if Wilson gets hurt. That is true of any team. To be honest, I don't see Boykin as a large downgrade from Jackson. He was never a starter quality QB, and the best he could do with our defense is a 7-9 season.

If Wilson gets hurt for a couple of games, yeah Jackson would probably be the better option right now due to his experience. If Wilson is out for the season we aren't going anywhere, so might as well let Boykin get the snaps and develop into the backup we want. He seems to have the potential, so let him develop.

sutz

Reaction score
I think there are different schools of thought here.

1. Many people like to have a backup that has a similar style to the starter so he can "step right in" in an emergency and not have to change game plans drastically.

2. Some teams like to have a backup QB (maybe not #2, if they keep 3) that has a contrasting style to the starter to more accurately pose as someone else as the scout QB in practice.

Boykin looks like a #1 type that could step in for Russ and play at least a 50-75% level of the playbook if needed. JMHO.

Tarvaris, or most any other QB vet or not, would more likely be a #2 style, that could pose as a traditional drop-back passer in practice. Useful, but if needed to play, strategy #1 goes out the window.

Wilson is a seasoned vet now. He doesn't need a mentor any more. Not sure why people insist we need a "vet backup QB." I guess a vet would be more comfortable subbing, but football is football.

When you get down to it, most teams in the league are screwed if their starting QB goes down for a significant time. Most teams are happy to have somebody that can come in at QB and maintain a .500 record while the starter heals. That was pretty much TJ's career record, but I think Boykin could do as well.