Tyler Lockett getting reps with the first team in the slot

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Keep Matthews, I would get rid of Kearse, use that money for Kam. If Matthews have a breakout season, don't break the bank for him, but hopefully he takes a team friendly deal.

netskier

Reaction score
Both Matthews and Lockett are going to be great for us. I am confident that we keep them both. I think we keep Kearse only if he becomes consistent.

peppersjap

Reaction score
joeseahawks":33af1c7h said:
How about our SB's 100 yards receiver C. Matthew? Why isn't this guy getting any respect?
Maybe because those 100 yards and his 4 receptions are his career totals. The guy really needs to prove himself!. If he was so great last year why did we only see him in the Super Bowl?

netskier

Reaction score
Coaching prejudice? Coaches may have made up their minds early last year on Matthews, and failed to update their views as he improved.

I think this happened last year, because I recall Baldwin saying last year that WE were not at all surprised last year at his breakout performance because WE had been seeing it all year in practice. So who is the royal WE? I think Sherman commented on Matthews performance too.

I conjecture that Bevell failed to deploy Matthews last season as early as he should, our held him out as a secret weapon.

109 yards in the Superbowl deserves major respect. Might have been MVP if we had won.

rideaducati

Reaction score
peppersjap":2dmw41b3 said:
joeseahawks":2dmw41b3 said:
How about our SB's 100 yards receiver C. Matthew? Why isn't this guy getting any respect?
Maybe because those 100 yards and his 4 receptions are his career totals. The guy really needs to prove himself!. If he was so great last year why did we only see him in the Super Bowl?

Because Pete Carroll finally went over Bevell's head an PUT HIM IN when Kearse was ineffective.

Sac

Reaction score
It's all a competition. But I have a feeling that one the pre-season dust clears we're going to see Lockett and Matthews outside, and angry Doug in the slot.

Ozzy

Reaction score
You think Kearse gets bumped out of a starting roll? I'm all for it but would guess it takes a few weeks for it to play out that way.

Exittium

Reaction score
I think the hang up is kearse is a home town kid. People like him. Remove that and the same people saying keep him might be saying something different. Me personally i liked what kearse gas brought but its replaceable. I think what we saw from Matthews was great. Id like to see the coaches give him more chances. It would be a shame for him not to get a chance.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
austinslater25":1xqgrfjn said:
You think Kearse gets bumped out of a starting roll? I'm all for it but would guess it takes a few weeks for it to play out that way.

I don't think anyone other than Graham and Lockett are all that safe, really. What do they bring to the table other than experience and being opportunistic? Matthews and Lockette have ST value; Baldwin is a team guy and knows Wilson well; but otherwise, they've stayed on the field mainly by value of being overachievers whose QB can buy them time.

nrayorr

Reaction score
Hawks46":143opdwg said:
Tical21":143opdwg said:
I'm all-in to see what Lockett can do, but if Mathews doesn't get a shot to see if he can replicate his playoffs success, I'll be a little disappointed.

I agree with this. He's a big target with what looks to be decent hands. Pair him up with Graham in the red zone.....yikes.

Then we also have Marshawn between the tackles... makes me salivate just thinking of the possibilities here!

nrayorr

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":29y2x9f1 said:
Boyer at Mike is interesting. We all know he's not getting the long snapper job.

I assume the second CB is just off the edge of the screen and not missing altogether... :lol:

Boyer is getting some linebacker time? Good... because I totally agree that he will not supplant Gresham.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
All i hear is good things everyday about Lockett I'm pulling for the kid to gets some snaps every where on the field. I think he will surprise alot of people.

Kearse is great when he's our 3rd to 5th WR option. When pushed into the starting role, he couldn't produce. He was suppose to produce what Tate and Rice have done before, and it showed that when going against other starting CBs he had some uphill battles.

The drops didn't help his case last year, he might need to get a recheck on his lasik.

If Kearse is our best option this year then I will trust Pete/Carroll but I've been hearing good things about Douglas Mcneil and I'm intrigued if we can get Mcneil and Matthews to stay. Looking at his AFL highlights he have some traits of Matthews with how he contorts his body and position it to be able to haul in some deep balls.

The other issue is Matthews will be a free agent after this year, if he has a great year, I believe he might go after the money, unless he still thinks his best chance to go to another SB is with the Hawks, then hopefully he will sign on the cheap.

timmat

Reaction score
I just can't overlook the number of huge catches Kearse has made in the post season for us.
4th down TD catch in NFC Champ. game vs. SF.
Pinballing TD catch in SB XLVIII
One handed TD catch vs Carolina in playoffs last year
Game ending TD catch in NFC Champ. game vs. GB.
Juggling sideline catch on his back in SB XLIX

Even with his inconsistencies, that's a hard resume to deny.

rideaducati

Reaction score
timmat":9y2lahvz said:
I just can't overlook the number of huge catches Kearse has made in the post season for us.

That isn't a resume, that is a highlight reel (or "highlights" portion of a resume). A resume is supposed to include everything you've done in your career. I can point to four NFC Championship game plays where he didn't look like he should even be in the league. Two balls bounce off his hands into the arms of a defender and two that he didn't even fight for, all of which led to interceptions. Had he just caught the two that bounced off his hands, the Seahawks don't need an overtime touchdown catch to win. Put one of the other Seahawks wide receivers in his place and you might find that they actually do more for the team during the ENTIRE game to go along with some huge catches.

I'm sure Kearse would be picked up and he might even do well with another team, but he won't do very well if they expect him to be a #1 or #2 receiver though. If he is the third or fourth guy, he could probably flourish, but in Seattle, as the third or fourth guy, he would be making three to four times the amount of the number two. If he isn't the best wide receiver at his position, which I don't believe he is, there is no sense keeping him and paying him more than the guy that replaced him.

Ozzy

Reaction score
PFF rated him 99th out of 115 wrs.

nanomoz

Reaction score
austinslater25":3nt967xr said:

That's surprising, until you consider it's a somewhat-reasonable ranking. He probably isn't more efficient than any other team's top-3 wideouts.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tyler Lockett Looks Like Doug Baldwin
After yet another impressive day on the field, rookie wide receiver Tyler Lockett, who the Seahawks moved up to select in the third round (No. 69 overall) of this year's draft, drew praise from his new head coach. Carroll said he couldn't wait to get into the film room to watch Lockett's practice tape after a session that saw the former Kansas State standout excel in one-on-one drills.

"His suddenness in and out of these breaks is like Doug [Baldwin]," Carroll said, comparing the first-year player to 2014's leading receiver. "That means that we’ve got another guy that can get away from people. Terrifically strong hands. He’s very confident. He’s solid as a football player."

Lockett is expected to earn reps as the team's primary kick and punt returner in 2015, but as offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell alluded to yesterday, Carroll thinks Lockett could push for playing time at wideout, too.

"I talked to him yesterday in my office," Carroll said. "Just go for it. See how far you can take it. You’re in the competition for the returns of course, but he’s fighting for play time as receiver as well. We’re not going to restrict him in any way at this point.”
http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/08/02 ... ining-camp

rideaducati

Reaction score
austinslater25":3uoojrhp said:

That would make him the third best fourth receiver in the league... :thirishdrinkers:

The only problem with that is that he is a starter in Seattle. :th2thumbs:

timmat

Reaction score
rideaducati":2amp2f8e said:
timmat":2amp2f8e said:

That isn't a resume, that is a highlight reel (or "highlights" portion of a resume). A resume is supposed to include everything you've done in your career. I can point to four NFC Championship game plays where he didn't look like he should even be in the league. Two balls bounce off his hands into the arms of a defender and two that he didn't even fight for, all of which led to interceptions. Had he just caught the two that bounced off his hands, the Seahawks don't need an overtime touchdown catch to win. Put one of the other Seahawks wide receivers in his place and you might find that they actually do more for the team during the ENTIRE game to go along with some huge catches.

I'm sure Kearse would be picked up and he might even do well with another team, but he won't do very well if they expect him to be a #1 or #2 receiver though. If he is the third or fourth guy, he could probably flourish, but in Seattle, as the third or fourth guy, he would be making three to four times the amount of the number two. If he isn't the best wide receiver at his position, which I don't believe he is, there is no sense keeping him and paying him more than the guy that replaced him.

Nobody should be mistaking Kearse for a number one or two receiver. His performance can be very underwhelming. But there was plenty of poor play to go around on offense in that NFC championship game. And the man has made some massive plays on the biggest stages for us. Happy if we have some more explosive options at WR. But it should take more than a good college career and a few nice days at camp to replace Kearse. I'll wait for some preseason results and trust the coaching staff to make the right call on the WR corps.