Tyler Lockett getting reps with the first team in the slot

rideaducati

Reaction score
timmat":1sje9m4s said:
rideaducati":1sje9m4s said:
timmat":1sje9m4s said:
I just can't overlook the number of huge catches Kearse has made in the post season for us.
4th down TD catch in NFC Champ. game vs. SF.
Pinballing TD catch in SB XLVIII
One handed TD catch vs Carolina in playoffs last year
Game ending TD catch in NFC Champ. game vs. GB.
Juggling sideline catch on his back in SB XLIX

Even with his inconsistencies, that's a hard resume to deny.

That isn't a resume, that is a highlight reel (or "highlights" portion of a resume). A resume is supposed to include everything you've done in your career. I can point to four NFC Championship game plays where he didn't look like he should even be in the league. Two balls bounce off his hands into the arms of a defender and two that he didn't even fight for, all of which led to interceptions. Had he just caught the two that bounced off his hands, the Seahawks don't need an overtime touchdown catch to win. Put one of the other Seahawks wide receivers in his place and you might find that they actually do more for the team during the ENTIRE game to go along with some huge catches.

I'm sure Kearse would be picked up and he might even do well with another team, but he won't do very well if they expect him to be a #1 or #2 receiver though. If he is the third or fourth guy, he could probably flourish, but in Seattle, as the third or fourth guy, he would be making three to four times the amount of the number two. If he isn't the best wide receiver at his position, which I don't believe he is, there is no sense keeping him and paying him more than the guy that replaced him.

Nobody should be mistaking Kearse for a number one or two receiver. His performance can be very underwhelming. But there was plenty of poor play to go around on offense in that NFC championship game. And the man has made some massive plays on the biggest stages for us. Happy if we have some more explosive options at WR. But it should take more than a good college career and a few nice days at camp to replace Kearse. I'll wait for some preseason results and trust the coaching staff to make the right call on the WR corps.

I trust the front office to make the right call, I'm just guessing that Kearse won't be a part of the team this season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Is Rideaducati and Tical the same person, just hating on different players?

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":1td315b0 said:
I trust the front office to make the right call, I'm just guessing that Kearse won't be a part of the team this season.

On this I would be willing to take a ban bet, but I wouldn't want to see rideaducati banned.

McGruff

Reaction score
Locket is reminding g me more and more everyday of Russell Wilson. Pedigree, work ethic, intelligence, faith and the surprising story of the little guy who climbs the backs of giants.

My prediction is that by this time next week they will be saying they can't keep him in the slot and they will be working him as a starter in competition with Kearse.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
chris98251":20vxtbwy said:
Is Rideaducati and Tical the same person, just hating on different players?
Spot. On.

How have I not seen this before??

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1jc84oaq said:
rideaducati":1jc84oaq said:

On this I would be willing to take a ban bet, but I wouldn't want to see rideaducati banned.
You wouldn't? Because once Kearse makes the team all hew I'll talk about is how Kearse shouldn't have made the team

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't think it's a coincidence he's with the #1s.

Dude came into the draft with a strong track record for competing. He screamed Seahawk more than any other player in the entire draft at any position in that regard.

Fully expect him to seize the job, and continue to earn consideration as camp goes on. In this regard, I do see a lot of Wilson in him.

Recall, Britt started with the #1s last year too. And despite issues, maintained that even after adding Winston to compete with him. I would agree it's still early. But I also know that Pete likes to get the competition juices flowing early. And if a rookie is able to seize the reigns -- he'll stick as a starter.

Lockett seems like that kind of player/talent.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2jk5an0n said:
hawknation2015":2jk5an0n said:
rideaducati":2jk5an0n said:

You wouldn't? Because once Kearse makes the team all hew I'll talk about is how Kearse shouldn't have made the team

I would do no such thing. I will be upset that they cut a better player to clear the cap space they're going to have to clear though. The only player I don't think deserves to make the team on a "no matter what" circumstance is Tarvaris Jackson, but he is already guaranteed to be here, so I'll just have to deal with that.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Yardbarker.com posted a piece on how high Carroll is on Lockett. Found it an interesting read here: http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ ... 6_19281448

Lockett’s polish has Carroll and his staff gushing over him. Here’s Carroll, per Thiel:

“(He’s) in the competition for the returns, of course. But he’s fighting for play time as receiver as well… We’re not going to restrict him in any way at this point.”

And here’s “offensive coordinator” Darrell Bevell:

“Oh, this guy’s not just a kick returner. This guy’s the full package. He’s going to be a big factor at wide receiver. He’s going to be able to play in the slot, he makes big plays, he’s got great quickness, great speed, he can make people miss.”

They also linked this highlight video from Youtube which is pretty good:

[youtube]jKDYoZ56-2U[/youtube]

Seafan

Reaction score
nrayorr":21q0s0ym said:
SnoCoHawk":21q0s0ym said:
Boyer at Mike is interesting. We all know he's not getting the long snapper job.

I assume the second CB is just off the edge of the screen and not missing altogether... :lol:

Boyer is getting some linebacker time? Good... because I totally agree that he will not supplant Gresham.
Boyer won't make the team. He's 34 years old and weighs barely 200. He can't play LB.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
“(He’s) in the competition for the returns, of course. But he’s fighting for play time as receiver as well… We’re not going to restrict him in any way at this point.”

Interesting that he put it that way. Seems incredibly similar to comments he made in TC regarding Wilson in 2012:

“He’s showed us enough,” Carroll said. “He’s in the competition. And that is going to tax us, as you know. It was already going to be taxing with two. But he’s shown us enough that we need to see where he fits in with these guys.”

“That’s an amazing load that we threw on him, but he handled it like he’s been here,” Carroll said. “And that was a great first sign, just about his willingness to prepare, hold all the information and use it quite well.”

Which is also similar to Bevell's quotes regarding Lockett this weekend:

“There was so much talk about the special-teams aspect that it kind of took precedence,” he said. “After watching him the first day, it’s like, ‘Oh, this guy’s not just a kick returner. This guy’s the full package.’

Coming out, it was very clear that in terms of polish and skill, Lockett and Cooper were at the top of the class in that regard. I don't think it's hard to read between the lines that Seattle likes what they see today even more than what they saw on draft day when they aggressively traded for him.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I'm really excited to see what Lockett brings to the team over the next few years (hopefully). I think he will bring an added positive addition to special teams this season (punt and kick returns) that the team has been missing since Washington and Tate left (and to a lesser degree, Harvin). As far a what I hope for in the pass catching department, I would just be happy if he can come in and be at Golden Tate's level to start his SECOND season (Tate was awful his first year). If Lockett can be a jack of all trades this season and evolve into a Harvin/Tate like player over the next 2-3 season I would be ecstatic, but that is a ways off at this point. I just hope he can be a difference maker on special teams this season.