UPDATE: Sebastian Janikowski signed

sdog1981

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":2v77ebwa said:
jammerhawk":2v77ebwa said:
TwistedHusky":2v77ebwa said:
That is one term for it.

Another would be: stupid
:sarcasm_on: Yeah, the front office must be stupid, whatever. Everything they do sucks, well at least that seems to be your constant view. :sarcasm_off:

Care to suggest who else they should have signed?

.....Or could have signed at this moment as they are all available???? :sarcasm_off: :stirthepot:

Twisted is getting to SouixHawk level with his posts. If the Seahawks don't go 0-16 next season like his posts have been predicting he is going to have to delete his account.

Atradees

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3r099jih said:
Atradees":3r099jih said:
We have always had great running backs.

Kickers? Not so much. Hope he still has the distance.

Completely disagree with this. Always had great running backs? How about the last 2 years? Julious Jones??! There have been a handful of great backs over the years...Curt Warner, Shaun Alexander, MarShawn Lynch.

There have also been a few good kickers over the years...Norm Johnson, Efren Herrera, John Kasay, Todd Peterson, Stephen Haushka. I categorize a good kicker as one who doesn’t make my sphincter pucker up whenever he attempts a kick.

You cant take the legacies of Alexander, Warner and Beast Mode and compare them to anybody but maybe...I say maybe Josh Brown.

we lost 5 or more games to two lame liquored of kickers in two years. always an if. Lame kickers.

I am so angry about it. if you cant feild a kicker....you cant coach a team.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Kickers are important.

Janikowski was a tremendous kicker but last year he was no longer what he once was.

Even if you get one year out of it, signing older kickers without a tremendously solid recent track record is just asking for it.

The only saving grace here is that it might encourage this team to actually try for TDs.

But yes, you are right. The FO has made an endless stream of stupid to middlingly wasteful decisions in the past 3-4 years. When Coleman is your big success story, that isn't saying much.

So true, when the FO makes a decision you almost have to look at it against the lens of their recent track record, which is pretty much garbage. Which means you need to see is there any unseen advantage or reason that we can somehow get a high gain from a move that does bring risk. The answer is no. Again.

Is there a reason to trust this decision based on the track record of the FO recently? Not really. What about the recent track record of the athlete? No that isn't encouraging either. So do I really need to 'see the workout' to understand this is probably a move that either barely moves the needle or likely hurts us? At least we did not squander any draft picks on this move or sign him to some wasteful contract....but it does not give much confidence.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Allright then suggest some other kickers who are reliable up to 50. Or alternatively just attack every roster move, oh wait, you already are doing just that without suggesting some positive alternative. Perhaps you think you can do things better than our present FO, so we need to hear your personnel ideas.

TH I’m not attacking you but I am after your constant negative viewpoint about the FO. If this was easy stuff Cleveland would draft and trade for good player who stay with their team which is successful. Instead they draft one QB failure after the next while the rest of their team rots away.

Our FO is certainly not perfect and has made lots of critical errors but they have also made a lot of right decisions too.

Drafting managing and keeping a winning team together isn’t easy but Pn’J haven’t done so bad relative to prior FOs for Seattle.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is a fair rebuttal.

I don't think this is a good move. But it isn't an awful one.

Just a lot of mediocre moves lately where it feels like they are rearranging the deck chairs on the Titantic than steering the damn thing toward somewhere with promise.

So that might be overly emotional response to the signing of an aging kicker. But it is a sign of how things are moving. We won't be 0-16 and our kicker won't lose us more than we deserve. But 6-7 wins feels a lot crappier considering the years of promise this FO squandered. And maybe that is the vent.

But it is just an aging kicker, that if he works out is OK and if he doesn't won't sink the ship.

Fair enough. Just a bummer to see where this team is heading and yes, I absolutely blame the FO.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suppose it depends upon perspective, I am not a negative person by nature so I find the drumbeat of negativity wearing.

I know Janikowski was a well regarded K until his back injury, if that has recovered the team has a solid K and if not there are now two Ks on the roster so some competition will ensue.

I fundamentally am not as negative as you are regularly about the FO, as they are fixing some of their mistakes this offseason. I will wait until I see what they deliver us as a team before grumbling if they blow it..

hawknation2018

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":16mw4ynm said:
With his signing do they treat it like Walsh last year and not bring in any competition?

This is setting up to be a real battle at kicker with Janikowski (all-time great), Myers (experienced starter in the same vein as Walsh), and whatever rookies they decide to bring in to the competition.

King Dog

Reaction score
I listened to Janikowski's interview on Danny, Dave & Moore on Friday. He said his back was healed by week 8 last season, but they chose not to bring him back. Says he's fully healed now and ready to go.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Atradees":2pjfrpoz said:
oldhawkfan":2pjfrpoz said:
Atradees":2pjfrpoz said:
We have always had great running backs.

Kickers? Not so much. Hope he still has the distance.

Completely disagree with this. Always had great running backs? How about the last 2 years? Julious Jones??! There have been a handful of great backs over the years...Curt Warner, Shaun Alexander, MarShawn Lynch.

There have also been a few good kickers over the years...Norm Johnson, Efren Herrera, John Kasay, Todd Peterson, Stephen Haushka. I categorize a good kicker as one who doesn’t make my sphincter pucker up whenever he attempts a kick.

You cant take the legacies of Alexander, Warner and Beast Mode and compare them to anybody but maybe...I say maybe Josh Brown.

we lost 5 or more games to two lame liquored of kickers in two years. always an if. Lame kickers.

I am so angry about it. if you cant feild a kicker....you cant coach a team.

I’m not comparing the few great running backs the Seahawks have had with kickers. Merely stating that they haven’t always had great RBs. Whereas kickers, where the OP stated they never have had great kickers, I disagree. Two completely different positions. Some good to great at both positions over the years as well as many years where neither position had much. The last couple years have had little talent at either.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":39ll2axp said:
That is one term for it.

Another would be: stupid
Kickers are a crapshoot on any given year except just a few..
Hopefully the guy suprises everyone..Cannot see him being same/worse than
Walsh.His leash will be shorter for sure if he struggles.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
“I’ve been (to CenturyLink Field), I’ve played in preseason games, I’ve played in regular season games,” Janikowski told 710 ESPN Seattle’s Danny, Dave and Moore Friday after signing with Seattle. “I think it’s awesome, it’s nice turf, I think it’s a good place to kick. I mean, don’t forget, I was in Oakland kicking in the dirt for 18 years, so.”

“I’m fully recovered,” Janikowski said. “I was fully recovered in Week 8, I was ready to go. But I guess (with) the decision that Oakland made, that they’re not going to bring me back, they let the younger guy go.

Janikowski said he’s grateful for the opportunity now in Seattle to re-boot his career. He joins a team desperate to improve at the position (former starter Blair Walsh connected on a career-low 72 percent of his field goal attempts) and becomes the second kicker on the roster, along with Jason Myers (whom Seattle signed to a reserve/futures contract in January) to compete for the job.

“I’m excited – can’t wait.”

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/440083/ja ... interview/

Hear Janikowski’s entire interview with Danny, Dave and Moore.
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... +and+Moore

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Even if he comes back strong and has a great season, will you give the front office credit Twisted? :lol:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Absolutely.

I have been starved for this FO to stop tripping over its own feet and stop sabotaging the chances of this team by making really bad decisions.

It has to stop raining at some point.

My issue with Janikowski is the age. But if he recovered AND he can get touchbacks on the KO so we have long fields for the opposing offense - then it might be a bandaid until we can find a kicker that will work for us for several years.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Given that our special teams coverage has been pretty strong for a while now, it could be argued that we'd prefer KOs to land on or near the goalline to tempt a return. Not many returners get past the 25 on us. At least not consistently.

chris98251

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":kaqogosk said:
Given that our special teams coverage has been pretty strong for a while now, it could be argued that we'd prefer KOs to land on or near the goalline to tempt a return. Not many returners get past the 25 on us. At least not consistently.

We'll have to see how the turnover has changed all that.