UW had the most overachieving recruiting class in '15

kearly

Reaction score
cesame":a6kcsbzm said:
Looks like it's time for another reminder that the Ducks have led the conference in scoring 9 years in a row.

Forgive me if I don't worry about how the Ducks will put up points next season.

The Ducks will still be good in 2016. But anyone who doesn't think they'll miss Vernon Adams is kidding themselves.

JSeahawks":a6kcsbzm said:
Well... We could debate this for the next 6 1/2 months (god, that's depressing), and never change each others minds. We'll see. I just know I'm really optimistic for next seasons ducks, as I'm sure I would be for the huskies if I were a husky fan. (They better keep John Ross on offense, no more of that cb experiment ).

I still think Oregon is a top 25 team. I just think they will probably take a step back. Some areas of the team will improve, like the defense and running game, but the passing game with Prukop will be a shadow of what it was with Adams.

cesame

Reaction score
A team that loses its starting QB from the year before usually will have to adjust. No one would debate that. Happens in every program.

But the team has led the conference in scoring 9 seasons in a row. They've done it with guys with average arms at best (Masoli, Thomas) and guys with great arms (Mariota, Adams). They've leaned on the running game when they've had to (they've also led the conference in rushing 9 years in a row as well) and under Mariota and Adams they were able to do more through the air - particularly down the field. Either way, it has all led to leading the conference in scoring.

I'm honestly not worried one bit about the offense(again, leading the conference in scoring 9 years in a row speaks for itself). Prukop looks the part on film and early reports are he has a lot of the intangibles you would want in a QB. Tireless worker and a leader at the QB position. With 8 months to get ready for the season I think Prukop does just fine.

Couple things go right (particularly on defense) and Oregon challenges for the playoffs again.

Tical21

Reaction score
cesame":1g2gx8q9 said:
A team that loses its starting QB from the year before usually will have to adjust. No one would debate that. Happens in every program.

But the team has led the conference in scoring 9 seasons in a row. They've done it with guys with average arms at best (Masoli, Thomas) and guys with great arms (Mariota, Adams). They've leaned on the running game when they've had to (they've also led the conference in rushing 9 years in a row as well) and under Mariota and Adams they were able to do more through the air - particularly down the field. Either way, it has all led to leading the conference in scoring.

I'm honestly not worried one bit about the offense(again, leading the conference in scoring 9 years in a row speaks for itself). Prukop looks the part on film and early reports are he has a lot of the intangibles you would want in a QB. Tireless worker and a leader at the QB position. With 8 months to get ready for the season I think Prukop does just fine.

Couple things go right (particularly on defense) and Oregon challenges for the playoffs again.
Oh, how adorable! Somebody still hasn't stopped clinging to the thought that Oregon is relevant. Must be rough.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tical21":wr9m2edj said:
cesame":wr9m2edj said:

Oh, how adorable! Somebody still hasn't stopped clinging to the thought that Oregon is relevant. Must be rough.

12 in a row to an irrelevant team. Now THAT must be rough.

cesame

Reaction score
Tical21":3toi9bk9 said:

Your post is boring

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3itof28a said:
but I like the Ducks future (next 3 years or so) at the QB position a lot more then UW's. .
You're boring troll status with that comment.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1eg0383u said:
JSeahawks":1eg0383u said:
but I like the Ducks future (next 3 years or so) at the QB position a lot more then UW's. .
You're boring troll status with that comment.

We'll see. This year I think Prukop out performs browning rather easily. There's a reason saban and harbaugh were coming after him hard. After that the ducks have 4 high ceiling'd youngins, they just need to hit on one. What's uw have in the pipeline other tgen browning who will never be a game changer? I know they have a 2018 stud, but until then I don't see much quality.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm a Coug fan first and foremost so don't really have a dog in this fight. That said, I think Browning outperforms Prukop. To hit on 2 straight FCS QBs is unlikely, Saban and Harbaugh recruiting him or not (all teams do need good backups you know).
Of course Luke's gonna outperform both so................. :D

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":q5gwu5u9 said:
We'll see. This year I think Prukop out performs browning rather easily.

I can see how Prukop throwing interceptions in 8 of 11 games against FCS defenses and leading Montana State to a 5-6 record would make anyone think he's immediately ready to step in and out perform Browning.

I actually think Prukop isn't starting for Oregon by the end of the season.

cesame

Reaction score
Career stats for Prukop over 2 seasons

Passing
46 TD/16 INT
64% percentage
9.2 ypa

Rushing
1743 yards
5.3 ypa
24 TD

70 TD over two seasons is nothing to shake a stick at

IndyHawk

Reaction score
drrew":xmbl39k3 said:
JSeahawks":xmbl39k3 said:

I can see how Prukop throwing interceptions in 8 of 11 games against FCS defenses and leading Montana State to a 5-6 record would make anyone think he's immediately ready to step in and out perform Browning.

This..Browning has a year under his belt in against FBS defenses yet some FCS guy is going to come in and punk him?Ha Ha Ha

kearly

Reaction score
Jeff Lindquist is the worst qb I have ever seen. And he was a highly recruited 4 star. Probably because in high school, or in lower level college ball, he could dominate on tools alone.

Watching Prukop, he reminds me so much of Lindquist. I think the odds of him being as good as Adams at this level are slim to none.

I'd be very careful about projecting players based on hype or prospect ratings. Cyler Miles was a 4 star, but I only needed to see 5 snaps worth of his play at UW to know he was trash. J was a lot more surprised by Miles ultimate failings than I was, and I think it's because J puts more stock into hype than I do. I don't think we should discount projections or hype completely, but it's worth recognizing it for what it is.

Prukop is more hype than substance. I actually felt like Adams was the complete opposite. Most fans were skeptical of him, he had to fight to earn a starting job, etc. But I'd seen him play UW and Oregon State and knew he was a very special QB. Even though he lost, he kicked the Huskies asses even worse than Mariota did. So I knew he was the real deal.

With Prukop, I see a great athlete with terrible mechanics who dominated with athleticism, not skill, in a conference where athleticism was in very short supply. Further, the box scores reveal a player who struggled against the better FCS opponents and who couldn't finish the deal in close games. He's pretty much exactly what i think Lindquist would be if he had played in the FCS.

As far as the top coaches recruiting him, who's to say they were recruiting him to play QB? He has the athleticism to star at several positions.

It's totally possible that Oregon can scheme around Prukop's issues. I just think he requires more skepticism than your usual transfer.

drrew

Reaction score
kearly":3pot4got said:
Cyler Miles was a 4 star, but I only needed to see 5 snaps worth of his play at UW to know he was trash.

The first time I saw Miles throw the ball I was in complete shock.

He was supposedly a top 15 HS quarterback by every ranking service. USC was fighting to the end for his commitment. He had won the MVP award at one of the National HS all star games.....and that was all washed away once I (and everyone else) saw him throw the football. It wasn't like I had some amazing scouting eye and knew he'd bust, everyone could see it. I'd never seen a weaker arm on a college QB. It would have been mediocre at the high school level. I was, and still am flabbergasted at what coaches and scouts supposedly saw in him.

cesame

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3q1x7sfa said:
drrew":3q1x7sfa said:
JSeahawks":3q1x7sfa said:

This..Browning has a year under his belt in against FBS defenses yet some FCS guy is going to come in and punk him?Ha Ha Ha

And that 1 year Browning had wasn't great. 11 TD/ 8 INT in 9 games against PAC 12 teams. Not impressive.

I don't see why UW fans should have more hope for Browning than Oregon fans have for Prukop. Neither has proven much in the PAC 12.

When it comes to Prukop vs Adams

Adams completed 64% of his passes while at EWU. Prukop is at 64% as well.

Adams yards per attempt: 9.5
Prukop yards per attempt: 9.2

Pretty close.

But that's besides the point. Prukop doesn't have to be Adams to be successful at Oregon. They're different players with different strengths. Oregon's been winning big with QB's with different strengths for a long time now.

kearly

Reaction score
cesame":1crftpx6 said:
But that's besides the point. Prukop doesn't have to be Adams to be successful at Oregon. They're different players with different strengths. Oregon's been winning big with QB's with different strengths for a long time now.

I think you are wasting your breath comparing Prukop to Adams. It would be like comparing Keith Price to Jake Locker.

That said, I think your final paragraph (quoted above) is totally fair.

Latest posts