UW Taylor Rapp Declares

IndyHawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":24koigo1 said:
fenderbender123":24koigo1 said:
Lots of people saying he made a business decision to sit out the Rose Bowl, including former NFL players who were on the sidelines. Apparently he was able to play in the Pac 12 champ game through his minor injury just fine. Should we be worried if this sort of thing becomes common even in NY6 bowl games and possibly even in playoffs games in the future?

I was at the game, my older son knows some of these UW players that he went to camps and all-star games with. When Rapp told reporters at the game he hadn't made a decision he wasn't being honest, he had already made his decision and we had heard from both players and a key Husky player's parents whom are family friends of ours. I didn't want to say anything when we first flew back because I didn't want to add to rumors. Now it seems that it is common knowledge. It was said that he had an injury but was well enough to play but didn't want to exacerbate the injury before the combine or pro day. We were sitting near these parents during the game and we talked about how disappointed we were with him when Byron Murphy who had more to lose chose to play. I don't want to say that it cost us the game but at least two of those TD's were in his spot.

I get it if you are a top-10 choice or are playing a position that is particularly exposed to injury like QB or RB but a safety delivers more blows than they receive.

Disappointed in him.
:2thumbs:

HawksnDawgs35

Reaction score
He quit on his team in the biggest game of the season. No way I would want him on the Hawks roster.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
People talk about all these boo hoo's that you risk by playing one game
so you can't feed the family..Bullshit-how many players besides Jaylon
Smith do you hear of that happening?Even he was smart enough to take
a 3 million poilicy against his draft position in case he got hurt and yes he
collected on it.Anyone can do this for higher amounts..All those players in
years past ..NFL Hof's played in ALL their games.Better ones than you see
today.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I dont mind if a player decides to opt out of a bowl game. College football is a business and thats a business decision. Team and staff have a chance to adjust.

However, opting out mid gane is unfair to everyone involved.

Still... this shouldn't be a negative mark on the player. He didnt handle it well but the ncaa is forcing these awkward situations on these kids.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Uncle Si":39ifvpwj said:

Wait, who did that? That's messed up.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
HawkGA":1jkjaw9x said:
Uncle Si":1jkjaw9x said:

Thats the insinuation being made in this thread sbout Rapp

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
HawksnDawgs35":1dorl9ae said:
He quit on his team in the biggest game of the season. No way I would want him on the Hawks roster.

Christian McCaffrey did the same thing, would you want him on our roster?

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Each school has 85 players on scholarship. Ohio St. and UW had a total of two players who decided to sit out.

2 players out of 170 scholarship players is less then 1 percent.

Is this really that big of a deal?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1vqd80we said:
Each school has 85 players on scholarship. Ohio St. and UW had a total of two players who decided to sit out.

I think its the reasons and what it says about college football, the bowl games and the massive hypocrisy between the governing bodies and the players

D

DomeHawk

We argue about the player risking the one opportunity to have any financial security in life but that's not entirely true. If you are a top player you have to ability to obtain an insurance policy that will set you up quite well if you are injured. This idea that you will walk away with nothing is simply not true.

HawkGA

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1oudn65l said:

Not to really take a side one way or the other, but 2 out of 170 is more than 1 percent. 2 out of 200 would be 1 percent.

Carry on.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3fp644vf said:
HawkGA":3fp644vf said:
Uncle Si":3fp644vf said:

Interesting. Guess I didn't read enough about this particular case. I don't have a problem with athletes sitting out. But I do think they should give notice. Let the team plan for the absence. Deciding day of is kind of crappy.

I'm even okay, and would encourage players to go through practice and prep but have an agreement with the coach that they won't actually play. But communication is key here. Surprised are not okay.

D

DomeHawk

HawkGA":1plmgsp2 said:
Uncle Si":1plmgsp2 said:
HawkGA":1plmgsp2 said:
Uncle Si":1plmgsp2 said:

Interesting. Guess I didn't read enough about this particular case. I don't have a problem with athletes sitting out. But I do think they should give notice. Let the team plan for the absence. Deciding day of is kind of crappy.

I'm even okay, and would encourage players to go through practice and prep but have an agreement with the coach that they won't actually play. But communication is key here. Surprised are not okay.

You make a good point. The whole dishonesty of the thing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
fenderbender123":21upooap said:
Only a matter of time then before they start sitting out the conference championship games, too...I mean, if the post season is pointless to play in, then logically speaking so is the conference championship game that gets them there. Oh, and the couple games before that too. Shit, just play enough to be seen by NFL scouts and hey you're done. So cool!!!

Players will soon start to sit out of the playoffs as well. Then college football will slowly start to die as it turns into nothing more than a league full of exhibition games played solely for the purpose of giving players practice to try and make it into the NFL.

Everything is about money these days to so many people. Who cares about honoring your commitment to the school, the coaches, and your teammates when it might result in only making 5 million dollars for being drafted instead of 7 million? Even though 5 million dollars is more than enough to set you up for the rest of your life after your playing days are over....

Risk 2 million dollars for a school making 50 million already?

Pretty naive ride on the high horse there fender

truehawksfan

Reaction score
So, is 2 players or .0117 percent (2/200 = 2 percent.... 2/170 = .0117 percent) on scholarship that big of a deal? Oh well, I guess I should have rounded up which would be .012 percent....carry on.

And, what should be the penalty if a head coach leaves the school with years remaining on his contract? He can leave without penalty leaving behind players he recruited.

And, I saw fans wearing Taylor Rapp jerseys....who gets paid for that?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1gdihcef said:
fenderbender123":1gdihcef said:
Only a matter of time then before they start sitting out the conference championship games, too...I mean, if the post season is pointless to play in, then logically speaking so is the conference championship game that gets them there. Oh, and the couple games before that too. Shit, just play enough to be seen by NFL scouts and hey you're done. So cool!!!

Players will soon start to sit out of the playoffs as well. Then college football will slowly start to die as it turns into nothing more than a league full of exhibition games played solely for the purpose of giving players practice to try and make it into the NFL.

Everything is about money these days to so many people. Who cares about honoring your commitment to the school, the coaches, and your teammates when it might result in only making 5 million dollars for being drafted instead of 7 million? Even though 5 million dollars is more than enough to set you up for the rest of your life after your playing days are over....

Risk 2 million dollars for a school making 50 million already?

Pretty naive ride on the high horse there fender

You're just now responding to that post?

HawksnDawgs35

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3tv6ub2d said:
HawksnDawgs35":3tv6ub2d said:

Christian McCaffrey did the same thing, would you want him on our roster?

Nope! You make a commitment to your teammates and coach's only to quit on them when they need you most.

Dave Hoffman and Shane Pahukoa were at the Rose Bowl practices and said Rapp didn't look hurt/injured.

Rapp isn't even a projected 1st rounder. Byron Murphy most likely is and he played the whole game.

As a Husky fan Rapp is dead to me.