UW Taylor Rapp Declares

kobebryant

Reaction score
I don't see the issue. He played football for Washington for the duration of the time that he was on scholarship. The semester was over, it was January, and he wasn't going to be compensated with any 'extra' school in exchange for playing in that game. I commend college students for realizing when it is time to move on to the professional world.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Not playing alongside your teammates and coaches while also disappointing millions of fans is not my idea of being a professional.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2y83fs9s said:
Not playing alongside your teammates and coaches while also disappointing millions of fans is not my idea of being a professional.

Millions?

Anyways... hes not professional. Hes moving on to it. Being professional would include a pay check

kobebryant

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1sluou5d said:

College athletes aren't considered professionals, but if you view them as such, you would agree that they should be paid.

Would you show up to a physically demanding job a month after they stop compensating you?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
An ex-roommate of mine played football for Auburn as an OL. He got hurt and he was absolutely screwed by his school.

Another friend of mine had a kid that played for UW. He was sort of a tweener but ended up starting as a safety, then eventually bulking up to LB (but he put too much weight on for his frame and ended up getting hurt). He couldn't even go to his own doctor! The team decided his health and he ended up playing hurt for a while. He is still messed up from that.

If Rapp got on the field, played 2 plays thinking he was fine and then bowed out? I have no issues. It wasn't like Browner was going to win a Bowl game anyway.

But even if he just decided it wasn't worth it? Well, it wasn't worth it.

The idea that he should have to pay back a scholarship after playing X # of years, contributing to wins, contributing to merch and ticket sales, and putting the team in the position to play in the game in the first place - that is laughable.

He more than paid back the UW for the money they spent on him, including the cost of the scholarships (likely in classes he didn't get the choice of picking).

The bowls make money for everyone but the kids playing them. That alone should be the reason for the star players to sit out.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't like to see it...so I could conjur up reasons why all day.