Vikings message board shuts down, disgusted by both team and

huskylawyer

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2mpa6k1v said:
huskylawyer":2mpa6k1v said:
bmorepunk":2mpa6k1v said:
I find Huskylawer's use of Communism and McCarthy to be intellectually lazy, particularly if there was an actual law degree attained.

Top 5 law school degree obtained (Michigan Law - GO BLUE!!), but I digress. 8)

I think you are smart enough to know that I'm not making a literal connection. The fact of the matter is that fear, righteous indignation and collective group think that occurs in a reactionary environment (spurred on by the ease of communication created by social networking, e.g., Twitter) has caused a "bandwagon" effect IMHO that causes people to not think rationally, and instead, reactionary.

Populism lived vibrantly without Twitter. Given this age of slacktivism, the correlation of people doing whatever stupid thing they are doing on Twitter is probably not high to people who will actually do something to change the situation.

I think you guys give way to much credit to Twitter and the user base as a whole.

Again, you are taking words a little to literally. "Twitter" or "Twitter Mob" is just a saying to define social media and the press in general. Does Twitter alone cause people to act differently when faced with crisis? Probably not. Does social media and the press collectively exert tremendous power and influence in today's environment. I think yes. A guy stewing alone in his apartment over a perceived wrong isn't very powerful. Get 2,000,000 of those same guys expressing outrage about a perceived wrong over social networking platforms is something else.

I'm not a tin foil type and worried about the black helicopters coming lol. But i do find that the swiftness of the public's reaction (and their reactionary stances) to be a product of the ease of communication these days. Something that we can all agree on wasn't as big of an issue in the Tags and Rozelle days.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I agree that the internet has changed things in that regard, which I did state originally. It sounds like we're going to converge on this more or less and I am arguing with you over terminology.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":24dczgni said:
huskylawyer":24dczgni said:
Tech Worlds":24dczgni said:
I saw the pictures of his kid.

I'd be ashamed to be a fan in support of him.

I don't think anyone "supports" AD's acts. I think people are saying, "Let's take a deep breath, hold up and see how things shake out. We don't need to brand him a serial killer and throw away the key"

How that is a controversial viewpoint is beyond me, but again, I'm not one to overreact.
What is there to shake out? We have seen the pictures of the abuse. What more can "shake out" to make any reasonable person want this child beater on the team?

Oh wait... He runs fast and scores touchdowns.

If I lie once, but am normally an honest person, does that mean I deserve the label "liar"? From all his interviews it sounds like he was disciplining his child, he went overboard, which he admits, and he is sorry for the pain he caused. He didn't chop off the kids hand, he disciplined his child in the same fashion his parents did in the culture he grew up in. That's how he was raised, but that is not the correct way to do it anymore. So someone needs to suspend him without pay for a while, get him to a psychologist to inform him that the way his parent's treated him was not correct, and he can't do the same to his child. I for one, am not going to label him a "child abuser" for any of that, and if there is any breakdown "procedure-wise", I am not going to hold it against him, but rather the NFL and Vikings for handling the situation incorrectly.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bbsplitter":cv4xx01s said:
Tech Worlds":cv4xx01s said:
huskylawyer":cv4xx01s said:
Tech Worlds":cv4xx01s said:

I'd be ashamed to be a fan in support of him.

I don't think anyone "supports" AD's acts. I think people are saying, "Let's take a deep breath, hold up and see how things shake out. We don't need to brand him a serial killer and throw away the key"

How that is a controversial viewpoint is beyond me, but again, I'm not one to overreact.
What is there to shake out? We have seen the pictures of the abuse. What more can "shake out" to make any reasonable person want this child beater on the team?

If I lie once, but am normally an honest person, does that mean I deserve the label "liar"? From all his interviews it sounds like he was disciplining his child, he went overboard, which he admits, and he is sorry for the pain he caused. He didn't chop off the kids hand, he disciplined his child in the same fashion his parents did in the culture he grew up in. That's how he was raised, but that is not the correct way to do it anymore. So someone needs to suspend him without pay for a while, get him to a psychologist to inform him that the way his parent's treated him was not correct, and he can't do the same to his child. I for one, am not going to label him a "child abuser" for any of that, and if there is any breakdown "procedure-wise", I am not going to hold it against him, but rather the NFL and Vikings for handling the situation incorrectly.
Good for you. I am glad that you won't call him a child abuser for going overboard on his 4 year old child.

I will.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
bbsplitter":1s55wtcl said:
Tech Worlds":1s55wtcl said:
huskylawyer":1s55wtcl said:
Tech Worlds":1s55wtcl said:

Good for you. I am glad that you won't call him a child abuser for going overboard on his 4 year old child.

I will.

Ok, then what action do you believe should be taken? I got mad at my little bro one time and threw a football at him and broke his finger. I was 18, in a position of "adulthood", in full control of my actions, and I got angry and injured a child. What should happen to us "child abusers"? Never mind that was the only occurrence of that kind of thing, never mind that I love my little bro unconditionally and made a mistake, never mind contributions to society, charities, any of that. What type of jail time are we talking for thugs like me and AP?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Due process will determine whether AP is guilty of a crime under current law(s). That is different from sponsors and individuals deciding whether they want an extremely visible athlete to remain in such a position where others may see him as a role model.

Sponsors are not just reacting to this incident; it's a combination of recent events that is leading AB and others to speak up. Whether we like it or not, or agree with it or not, young kids tend to look up to athletes. Do you want them looking up to guys who display--at best--questionable behavior? If you're a major sponsor, do want to be even tangentially associated with that?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
huskylawyer":1eqwjaw0 said:
ivotuk":1eqwjaw0 said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/vikings-message-board-shuts-down--disgusted-by-both-team-and-fans-141959347.html

Overreact much?

Sounds like AP has been convicted in the Press. People have already decided that he is a child abuser which is pretty screwed up.

I think that's going too far to say he is a "child abuser" knowing how badly many children have been treated by parents, stepdads and "boyfriends."

Adrian Petersen has done a lot for his community but ever since the Ray Rice thing, people are willing to slander, accuse and convict anyone for anything. "Off with his head!"

Let's wait until the evidence comes out.

Well said. It is just shocking how people are letting Twitter Mob justice rule the day. People are practically branded as communists for even suggesting, "perhaps we should just let due process occur and go from there."

Regarding AD, I honestly don't even know if he will be convicted. It took the prosecutors two submissions to a grand jury to secure an indictment, as the first time they declined to indict. And I'm guessing if the jury includes a rural farmer or two with 8 kids who work on the farm, getting a conviction is not guaranteed.

People need to take a deep breath. It is like sports McCarthyism right now, and not enough people are noticing it.
Not sure why they would be branded communists since most communist countries do exactly that. Convict without any real trial or proof. One of the many great things about our country is that we are assumed innocent till proven guilty by a trial of our peers rather than some jerry rigged trial of government approved judges.

kearly

Reaction score
That the Vikings sat him for a game of their own volition, a game in which they desperately needed him and lost, shouldn't be brushed aside so casually. It's more than other teams have done for worse offenses.

The outrage over the reinstatement strikes me as jumping the gun. Peterson will still see a suspension before it's all said and done.

I agree with DavidSeven's comments voicing concern over the media's angry mob mentality.

chris98251

Reaction score
I spanked my kids, I don't think you should not do that and better go to the corner covers everything that happens. Did I have to spank them all the time no, after about 5 or so they knew when doing something bad to certain degree would bring them, they understood conversation better, they could be reasoned with. Did he overreact? Yeah. Bit I don't have anything against him for spanking, just his lack of self discipline doing it.

acer1240

Reaction score
Chris...didn't the report state that he also suffed that child's mouth with leaves? If so, that is sadistic

chris98251

Reaction score
acer1240":3mesrnbf said:
Chris...didn't the report state that he also suffed that child's mouth with leaves? If so, that is sadistic

If it's the second report I have read that was bogus in a few places.

Saw nothing about leaves in the first one. Well any I read.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I don't care that some of you were beaten as children and now feel a need to defend Peterson as though he were your own parent. I was hit too, but never even close this extent.

IMO, this is too much abuse for a four year old. As a civilized society, we don't have to accept this as morally right and are entitled to criminalize it and publicly shame the behavior.

0912-adrian-peterson-son-injuries-7-800x430.jpg

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I can't stand anyone who complains about the punishment given by the teams.

I'm disappointed it takes public outcry for the NFL to do anything, but to complain when they finally do what's right?

Playing in the NFL is a ridiculous privilege for the absolute elite.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Don't forget the kids scrotum was beaten and the kid had wounds on his hands from trying to defend himself.

If the allegations of leaves stuffed in mouth and having a dedicated "whooping room" are validated, it's easy to understand the backlash.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
But seriously. What is the team and league to do other than suspend him with pay? You have a prominent franchise athlete backed by a powerful NFL PA and best lawyers on his side. On other side you have a huge outcry of people, community groups, leaders and businesses that are unwilling to back the team's decision to allow him to play. He might be out the rest of this season is my guess.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3b4zs3hb said:
bbsplitter":3b4zs3hb said:
Tech Worlds":3b4zs3hb said:
huskylawyer":3b4zs3hb said:

Ok, then what action do you believe should be taken? I got mad at my little bro one time and threw a football at him and broke his finger. I was 18, in a position of "adulthood", in full control of my actions, and I got angry and injured a child. What should happen to us "child abusers"? Never mind that was the only occurrence of that kind of thing, never mind that I love my little bro unconditionally and made a mistake, never mind contributions to society, charities, any of that. What type of jail time are we talking for thugs like me and AP?

are you serious? are you seriously relating being an 18 year old older brother throwing a football at your kid brother to swatting a 4 year old child with a tree branch while stuffing leaves in his mouth... as a parent? i'm assuming pointing out the massive differences here in both the physical nature of the events, the outcomes and the relationships would be pointless.

this... this the overreaction. People running as fast as they can to be contrarian to the moral outrage. to point out others hypocrisy as soon as they sniff it. yeah, people are pissed. maybe rightly, maybe overboard. probably too empahtically. social media enables that.

The reality here is that this injury caused by Adrien Peterson to his 4 year old son is not a brash moment but one that reflects his genuine philosophy on discipline, as many many more examples are detailing.

As the story "shakes out" we are beginning to find out maybe it was worse, not better, than before.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
huskylawyer":1mekky49 said:
Jesus, he isn't the second coming of Pol Pot. He could have disciplined hard, and he made a mistake of going to hard on his kid. That doesn't equate to "piece of crap human being" in my book, but instead, someone who is human and made an idiotic and stupid mistake. It makes him a parent, and God knows I've made mistakes as a parent, but I learn from them and move on..

So how many stupid mistakes do we allow our fellow human beings before we can judge them? Because this is like #10 for Peterson.

- Fathering so many illegitimate kids he won't even tell people who and where all his kids are. My guess is he himself doesn't even know.

-Going 120 mph on the freeway endangering lives because he doesn't want to miss team curfew......at which time the police said "oh hi Mr. Peterson, good luck tomorrow!"

- Hiding behind his Christianity to make anti gay marriage comments. Yep, just fine to screw all the bitches you want, beat the crap out of your kids so hard that they have to be taken to the hospital......but oh no I draw the line at those immoral gays getting married.

- Not even knowing that one of your countless illegitimate kids is living with a convicted child abuser, and gets KILLED.

- "Disciplining" your 4 year old with a tree branch. A 4 year old! Wtf does a 4 year old do to deserve that? Did he not clean up his Legos when asked? Did he not eat all his green beans? Forget to put his Big Wheel away in the garage? Please, tell me.

- Hit your other child so hard it left a scar on his forehead.

See, it's time to judge people. That's how we correct behavior in society, we judicially and publicly judge. I don't care how many charities Peterson is a part of, it doesn't forgive being a bad person.......and AP has proven through his adult life that he is a bad person.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I got spanked like hell as a kid. My parents never left welts, never drew blood, nor was I bruised.

What Adrian Peterson did was not discipline. It was child abuse. The kid is 4 fricken years old. This was just wrong and anyone defending this abuser needs to take a long look in the mirror.