Vikings message board shuts down, disgusted by both team and

bmorepunk

Reaction score
mikeak":3ogeivn2 said:
I find it interesting that a lawyer comes here and tries to claim that due process is somehow related to the punishment that the Vikings and the NFL should hand out.

The Vikings is his employer. He is basically under an at-will contract and they have the right to terminate / suspend him under that contract for many reasons. His admittance of the acts would not be necessary for them to take their actions (also remember that he continues to be paid) YET this admittance is on record.

The rule in the court of law is IRRELEVANT and I don't need a law degree to understand this.

Trust me if I beat my child like this and my name was made public I would be let go. If I get a DUI I get fired. Unfortunately I don't have any guaranteed money in my employment contract. I completely fail to understand why people think the NFL punishment needs to be tied to the punishment received by a judge - most companies don't have a one to one relationship for these things.

AP disgusts me, Ray Rice disgusts me and the fact that a few old men got in a room knowing a player punched out a woman and suspended him 2 weeks disgusts me. However the worst thing is that a judge gave Ray Rice probation after seeing the full video. Hopefully the past few weeks will lead to tougher sentences in similar situations going forward and hopefully more victims will dare to report.

Ray Rice got a standing ovation at training camp and the full support of the coach......

Ray Rice also walked away with charges dropped. If the legal process is supposed to be the basis for the NFL process, why did he get suspended?

razgriz737

Reaction score
mikeak":21so0lus said:
I find it interesting that a lawyer comes here and tries to claim that due process is somehow related to the punishment that the Vikings and the NFL should hand out.

The Vikings is his employer. He is basically under an at-will contract and they have the right to terminate / suspend him under that contract for many reasons. His admittance of the acts would not be necessary for them to take their actions (also remember that he continues to be paid) YET this admittance is on record.

The rule in the court of law is IRRELEVANT and I don't need a law degree to understand this.

Trust me if I beat my child like this and my name was made public I would be let go. If I get a DUI I get fired. Unfortunately I don't have any guaranteed money in my employment contract. I completely fail to understand why people think the NFL punishment needs to be tied to the punishment received by a judge - most companies don't have a one to one relationship for these things.

AP disgusts me, Ray Rice disgusts me and the fact that a few old men got in a room knowing a player punched out a woman and suspended him 2 weeks disgusts me. However the worst thing is that a judge gave Ray Rice probation after seeing the full video. Hopefully the past few weeks will lead to tougher sentences in similar situations going forward and hopefully more victims will dare to report.

Ray Rice got a standing ovation at training camp and the full support of the coach......
Excellent post.

mikeak

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2rfrkl0o said:
Ray Rice also walked away with charges dropped. If the legal process is supposed to be the basis for the NFL process, why did he get suspended?

Charges weren't just dropped. He agreed to a pretrial intervention program that apparently is available to rich athletes that beat their wifes. This may not be a guilty verdict or admittance of guilt but it is more than nothing. It aligns with how the Big Ben issue was handled were charges were dropped but admittance of providing alcohol to minors was used to suspend him

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... red-rarely

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Understood on the counseling; my logical problem (which agrees with what you're saying) is that linking the legal and NFL internal processes is a limited idea. The idea that the NFL should have to wait on the legal process before investigating it themselves and dealing with it is very flawed. They have enough lawyers and former law enforcement on their payroll that they can certainly figure out what they think the probability of a player doing something is.

In the Rice case, while he did take a deal in which he'd promise to get counseling, he legally did nothing wrong. If the two processes are coupled as tightly as I think people are stating they should be, then Ray Rice should not have had any action taken against him by the NFL. But we can clearly see from a recently released video that Ray Rice clearly did a terrible thing, even though he is legally free from it.

Something is broken legally in Ray Rice's situation. A lot of people were saying that it was common for first time offenders to get this deal, but supposedly it's on the order of 1% of all domestic violence cases (in addition to your link, this one quotes a local defense attorney's surprise):

http://www.my9nj.com/story/26544519/ray ... e-of-video

This tells me that either the repeat offender/previous record rate on these cases is absurdly high (90%+ would be repeat offender/previous record) or Ray Rice got a really sweet deal. Considering he gave her a full punch to the face and it is caught on camera, I'd consider that to be a nice deal.