Voting - Poster of the Month - May 2018

Who should be poster of the month for May 2018?

• JammerHawk

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • SoulfishHawk

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • AgentDib

• HawkNation 2018

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Sports Hernia

• UK_Seahawk

• Chris98251

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • WindCityHawk

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Fade

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Vin.Couve12

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Anguish":3uy6ti7v said:
original poster":3uy6ti7v said:
I'm struggling to get past the poll being limited to 10 people but I'm not sure what else we can do about that.

Why struggle with such trivial things? I know a guy that can probably change this...

Fenderbender123?

kf3339

Reaction score
olyfan63":1z6hl0md said:
First off, great post by seahawkfreak and his closing words are the clincher: "It has already made me think about how I could contribute better to the site." Wow. That's great stuff right there.

There are a dozen or two posters whose stuff I nearly always enjoy reading, and even when they say dumb knee-jerk reaction stuff (IMO) here and there, it doesn't take away from the many gems they contribute.

What I've really been enjoying lately is that the civility and football-knowledge-quality of posts has taken a slight, but clear and noticeable, uptick over the last couple months. Fewer useless pissing matches, more openness to others' points, higher quality information.

The "Pick #120, Will Dissley" thread exemplifies this. I started out knowing nothing about the guy and through the knowledge shared, came out with a clear idea of why PC/JS made this pick and why it's an awesome one for the Seahawks, and excited to see his contributions. Posters shared outraged or enthused initial reactions, and as more information came out during the thread, the information shared cut through many of the "lip service platitudes" and player-protecting coach-speak around the Seahawks TE position, and openly revealed some of the "dirty laundry" secrets and issues. Pete's *actions* in selecting Dissley revealed so much; even his coachspeak and JS's comments after the selection completed the picture in a congruent way. People shared assorted Dissley videos, which seemed to largely win over the initially outraged posters, when they saw film of the kinds of plays this guy makes in the passing game. This is the kind of thread that makes .NET a great place to be a fan and a student of the game. And yet, I could easily name half a dozen more; "#27 Rashaad Penny", "Solid B", and others.

I like the idea of recognizing high-quality posters with awards, and I think the nomination process is fine; maybe just request the nomination to include a mention of a specific post or range of posts that exemplifies the nominee's work and the reason for the nomination.

I have mixed feelings on the idea of voting for posters; there's the engagement of .NET denizens, yes; on the other hand, there's the clique-y beauty/popularity contest "feel" that could easily creep in. Then there is the administrative work for the Mods, of one-more-thing-to-do. So maybe let the voting run a couple more month cycles and see how things feel. Maybe limit winners to one recognition per quarter, if there are overly frequent repeat winners. Overly frequent? The goal, IMO, is to recognize a range of positive contributors, in order to support the overall quality of posts and interaction on the board.

I suggest, in addition to "Poster of the Month" Mods consider an "Unsung Hero" or "Spirit of .NET" award each month, to be selected by mods. to recognize posters who are just doing what they do, simply being who they are, catch them in some gem of a post or a thread that *exemplifies* the best of what we want .NET to be. For example, for April (really Feb/Mar/April), I would nominate kf3339 for the idea and execution and the resulting moderation approach of the "You're the GM!!!!" thread. Besides keeping things moving in that dead period between the Super Bowl and the NFL Draft, the tone established in that thread established a new and more constructive "feel" in threads of that type.

Thank you for the nice words about me! Much appreciated. :irishdrinkers:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
olyfan63":xu4f9wl0 said:
First off, great post by seahawkfreak and his closing words are the clincher: "It has already made me think about how I could contribute better to the site." Wow. That's great stuff right there.

There are a dozen or two posters whose stuff I nearly always enjoy reading, and even when they say dumb knee-jerk reaction stuff (IMO) here and there, it doesn't take away from the many gems they contribute.

What I've really been enjoying lately is that the civility and football-knowledge-quality of posts has taken a slight, but clear and noticeable, uptick over the last couple months. Fewer useless pissing matches, more openness to others' points, higher quality information.

The "Pick #120, Will Dissley" thread exemplifies this. I started out knowing nothing about the guy and through the knowledge shared, came out with a clear idea of why PC/JS made this pick and why it's an awesome one for the Seahawks, and excited to see his contributions. Posters shared outraged or enthused initial reactions, and as more information came out during the thread, the information shared cut through many of the "lip service platitudes" and player-protecting coach-speak around the Seahawks TE position, and openly revealed some of the "dirty laundry" secrets and issues. Pete's *actions* in selecting Dissley revealed so much; even his coachspeak and JS's comments after the selection completed the picture in a congruent way. People shared assorted Dissley videos, which seemed to largely win over the initially outraged posters, when they saw film of the kinds of plays this guy makes in the passing game. This is the kind of thread that makes .NET a great place to be a fan and a student of the game. And yet, I could easily name half a dozen more; "#27 Rashaad Penny", "Solid B", and others.

I like the idea of recognizing high-quality posters with awards, and I think the nomination process is fine; maybe just request the nomination to include a mention of a specific post or range of posts that exemplifies the nominee's work and the reason for the nomination.

I have mixed feelings on the idea of voting for posters; there's the engagement of .NET denizens, yes; on the other hand, there's the clique-y beauty/popularity contest "feel" that could easily creep in. Then there is the administrative work for the Mods, of one-more-thing-to-do. So maybe let the voting run a couple more month cycles and see how things feel. Maybe limit winners to one recognition per quarter, if there are overly frequent repeat winners. Overly frequent? The goal, IMO, is to recognize a range of positive contributors, in order to support the overall quality of posts and interaction on the board.

I suggest, in addition to "Poster of the Month" Mods consider an "Unsung Hero" or "Spirit of .NET" award each month, to be selected by mods. to recognize posters who are just doing what they do, simply being who they are, catch them in some gem of a post or a thread that *exemplifies* the best of what we want .NET to be. For example, for April (really Feb/Mar/April), I would nominate kf3339 for the idea and execution and the resulting moderation approach of the "You're the GM!!!!" thread. Besides keeping things moving in that dead period between the Super Bowl and the NFL Draft, the tone established in that thread established a new and more constructive "feel" in threads of that type.

Appreciate the kind comment bro. Thank you. Great post too by the way.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
The winner for the April Poster of the Month is Vin.Couve12!

Congratulations and very well deserved.

His posts are always full of knowledge and is the very definition of this idea, to celebrate posters that make the forum better.

Well done!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Congrats, VinCouve12!!! :biggthumpup:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":15vv7cfb said:
Congrats Vin.Couve12. Great analysis of players during the draft period.

He obviously spends many hours studying the players in the Draft as well as analyzing Seahawk needs. A very dedicated person indeed.....I almost said fellow, but perhaps it is a girl!!