Was the offense really that bad?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Own The West":l983nye7 said:
My observations are these:
- Russ doesn’t trust his line, so he backs or spins out of the pocket instead of stepping up.
- The NFL has seen Russ’s 180 scramble move, so now it results in sacks.
- Russ holds on to the ball longer than any QB in the league, so I am not sure how much I can blame Cable and the line.
- Bevell on the otherhand is directly responsible for scheme, down/distance, and putting people in a position to be successful. Given our declining productivity over the last few years, I will be very disappointed if Bevell returns next year.

We have great athletes, but aren’t playing quality football on offense. By comparison, the defense has been riddled with injuries and still has only had one poor quality outing.

Well you can blame the line and cable for some of holding the ball if he is having to run within a 1.5 seconds, the rest5 of the blame goes to bevel for calling plays that take time to develop.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Anthony!":12buoqwd said:
Own The West":12buoqwd said:
- Russ doesn’t trust his line, so he backs or spins out of the pocket instead of stepping up.
- Russ holds on to the ball longer than any QB in the league, so I am not sure how much I can blame Cable and the line.
- Bevell on the otherhand is directly responsible for scheme, down/distance, and putting people in a position to be successful. Given our declining productivity over the last few years, I will be very disappointed if Bevell returns next year.

We have great athletes, but aren’t playing quality football on offense. By comparison, the defense has been riddled with injuries and still has only had one poor quality outing.

Well you can blame the line and cable for some of holding the ball if he is having to run within a 1.5 seconds, the rest5 of the blame goes to bevel for calling plays that take time to develop.

You need to be able to admit there are negative plays caused by Russell at this point. Blame deservedly goes to coaches but Russell has been known to sack himself. And I am fully aware he's grown to not trust his line which I know will be your go to response, but he certainly has had plays where instead of stepping up, he rolls out and into an incoming defender. This has already happened a few times with Duane Brown (hasn't always resulted in a sack) where he assumes sending the DL out wide and behind Russell would create time to step forward and instead Russell was already spinning out backwards into the defender. Teams do what Duane did often against Frank Clark and Michael Bennett.

Anthony!

Reaction score
mistaowen":2ag0txgh said:
Anthony!":2ag0txgh said:
Own The West":2ag0txgh said:

You need to be able to admit there are negative plays caused by Russell at this point. Blame deservedly goes to coaches but Russell has been known to sack himself. And I am fully aware he's grown to not trust his line which I know will be your go to response, but he certainly has had plays where instead of stepping up, he rolls out and into an incoming defender. This has already happened a few times with Duane Brown (hasn't always resulted in a sack) where he assumes sending the DL out wide and behind Russell would create time to step forward and instead Russell was already spinning out backwards into the defender. Teams do what Duane did often against Frank Clark and Michael Bennett.

I have no problem with saying he does that at times, but fix the main 2 problems and those will go away, Thos are bad plays are mostly him trying to make something out of nothing.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mistaowen":2pu6oyzk said:

Russell is NEVER going to be a traditional pocket passer, it's just now how he's wired.

Nor do you want him to change, he has some of the best football IQ and instincts of any QB of the past 25 years. You can't teach what Russell does.

Yes, 25% of the time it's bad, but 75% of the time it's great to downright amazing.

As Pete you just have to hope he continues to grow and learn when to take those risks, and when not to. For the most part Russell is very good at making those split second correct decisions.

Jville

Reaction score
Stepping back a bit from the confines of the most recent game and reflecting on the play charts for 2017. I'd say the offense has been wildly inconsistent from quarter to quarter and from game to game. Reminds me of Sunday's sandlot football that followed Friday Night games. Enjoyed that and the days of Zorn. It is what it is.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
renofox":1q2wkche said:
MontanaHawk05":1q2wkche said:
renofox":1q2wkche said:
This play, however, did not fail because he missed Lockett. It failed because Ifedi whiffed.

It failed because the defense won. Gotta give them credit.

Yes. DLaw owned Ifedi. DLaw succeeded. Ifedi failed. Tomayto, tomahto.

Not just that. The zone coverage was in the right call and executed well.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Anthony!":lf5xwejq said:
hawknation2017":lf5xwejq said:
Wilson has this instinct to always turn backwards. In the video above, he should have climbed the pocket and delivered the ball. Spinning backwards makes it nearly impossible to block. At that point, he's on his own.

This is another reason it would be great to have a fresh offensive mind on the coaching staff to challenge him and to help him cultivate new instincts.

First he climbed the pocket several times int hat game, 2nd I trust his instincts better than your opinion. He did what he felt was the best thing to do, and guess what most of the time he is right

It's a very minor criticism of Russell (since his rookie season and for the entirety of his football career) that he naturally prefers to escape backwards rather than climb the pocket. That tends to put him under more pressure and limits his receiving options. For some reason, the offensive coaching has done a bad job of helping him with this minor flaw in his game. This is more of a criticism of the offensive coaching staff than it is of Russell, who is a phenomenal young QB and amazingly still has room for growth. I don't think we have seen the best of Russell Wilson. Many QBs do not hit their prime until their early 30s.