Watched tape from 2012. D scheme is very different vs today

seabowl

Reaction score
We always talk about how Pete’s scheme is the issue and he doesn’t like to change. Well I went back and watched some tape of games from 2012. I was surprised to see that that back then on D they were playing press coverage and a lot of man on almost every play while today they are 8-10 yards off the ball and in zone often. Also now huge holes in the zones that teams exploit week in and out. It drives me crazy when I see this and wonder why they went away from press and man coverage. I really do not think that it’s due to the players athletic ability as I do think it’s Pete changing his philosophy for some reason.

If you have some game film from 2011-14 check out how differently the D lines up and covers. It’s just perplexing.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
From what I’ve heard the system in 2012 was developed to get young players on the field quickly.

I would say the concepts Seattle is using have been stolen from some other successful defenses they just aren’t coaching it or don’t have the players to do it.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
HawkNuts":j2kemu1k said:
From what I’ve heard the system in 2012 was developed to get young players on the field quickly.

I would say the concepts Seattle is using have been stolen from some other successful defenses they just aren’t coaching it or don’t have the players to do it.

I get it but to teach them to let guys wide open ain’t working

hinton

Reaction score
I miss press-man, aggressive DB play too. I think the Seahawks changed their scheme when the league changed the rules (pretty much because of B Browner)

RiverDog

Reaction score
seabowl":2iwcg8q2 said:
We always talk about how Pete’s scheme is the issue and he doesn’t like to change. Well I went back and watched some tape of games from 2012. I was surprised to see that that back then on D they were playing press coverage and a lot of man on almost every play while today they are 8-10 yards off the ball and in zone often. Also now huge holes in the zones that teams exploit week in and out. It drives me crazy when I see this and wonder why they went away from press and man coverage. I really do not think that it’s due to the players athletic ability as I do think it’s Pete changing his philosophy for some reason.

If you have some game film from 2011-14 check out how differently the D lines up and covers. It’s just perplexing.

Earl Thomas is the player who made that defense work. He had an uncanny nose for the football and could cover an area from sideline to sideline. He was the one that allowed our otherwise slow corners like Richard Sherman to play press coverage. If a receiver got behind one of our corners, Earl was always there to cover for them.

cymatica

Reaction score
HawkNuts":15b55em4 said:

If that is true then this defense needs exactly that to fix the miscommunication issues

Polk738

Reaction score
seabowl":3545hn8w said:

Having 3 all pros in your secondary that knew each other very well compared to a bunch of guys who don't know what the hell is going on makes a bit of a difference.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"Having 3 all pros in your secondary that knew each other very well compared to a bunch of guys who don't know what the hell is going on makes a bit of a difference."
They weren't AllPros from day one, they developed.

BASF

Reaction score
Polk738":26zvpfng said:
seabowl":26zvpfng said:

Having 3 all pros in your secondary that knew each other very well compared to a bunch of guys who don't know what the hell is going on makes a bit of a difference.

This is probably the most astute observation on this board this season. The major failure over the past two seasons have been directly on the defensive coaches in not having the secondary on the same page. The fact that it has happened in consecutive seasons is criminal. It is hard to put it at Shead's feet when he just joined the team this season and it happened last year as well.

As far as the OP, the D scheme has been changed several times over the years. The problem with that is the spacing of the zone and the way we pass receivers off to the next zone has barely changed. Another problem is the way we react to certain tells from the offense has not varied since Norton was brought in.

Smellyman

Reaction score
RiverDog":u612m4fv said:
seabowl":u612m4fv said:

Earl Thomas is the player who made that defense work. He had an uncanny nose for the football and could cover an area from sideline to sideline. He was the one that allowed our otherwise slow corners like Richard Sherman to play press coverage. If a receiver got behind one of our corners, Earl was always there to cover for them.

Diggs might be the closest thing in the league to Earl. He just doesn't have Kam, Sherman and Browner around him

Boycie

Reaction score
The rules have also had an effect on playing press like they did back in 2012. There is no way Browner is getting away playing like that in today’s game. I sure miss those times!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
There are different ways you can run the same schemes.

So just saying you saw a lot of press man in 2012 and 2013 doesn't mean they weren't running the same cover 3 scheme, they were.

You can run cover 2 and cover 3 with press man, or tell your DB's to play off. But it's still one high safety and SS down in the box.

Yes, when you have Richard Sherman in his prime and physical DB's on the other side like Browner and Maxwell, who can also press cover? And most importantly a D-line that only has to rush four to be effective?

Voila, cover 3 works great.

When you have two scrubs at DB who can't press cover, and a D-line that can't get home with only rushing four?

Voila, you get what we're seeing, cover 3 turn into cover 2 zone keeping everything in front of them because no one can rush the passer and no one can cover man.

Here's an article from 2013 talking about the Hawk's cover 3.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/football-bre ... nfl-saints

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So sure, run one high safety cover 3 with only Diggs back and have Jones/Flowers and Reed press cover.

With our D-line and these terrible DB's, you won't see wide open receivers 5-10 yards from the line of scrimmage, you'll see wide open receivers running for TD's over the top with Diggs chasing them.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":285bd0pz said:
There are different ways you can run the same schemes.

So just saying you saw a lot of press man in 2012 and 2013 doesn't mean they weren't running the same cover 3 scheme, they were.

You can run cover 2 and cover 3 with press man, or tell your DB's to play off. But it's still one high safety and SS down in the box.

Yes, when you have Richard Sherman in his prime and physical DB's on the other side like Browner and Maxwell, who can also press cover? And most importantly a D-line that only has to rush four to be effective?

Voila, cover 3 works great.

When you have two scrubs at DB who can't press cover, and a D-line that can't get home with only rushing four?

Voila, you get what we're seeing, cover 3 turn into cover 2 zone keeping everything in front of them because no one can rush the passer and no one can cover man.

Here's an article from 2013 talking about the Hawk's cover 3.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/football-bre ... nfl-saints

I think having an effective pass rush when your only rushing 4 is a huge thing

LTH

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":2xnwdsz3 said:
The rules have also had an effect on playing press like they did back in 2012. There is no way Browner is getting away playing like that in today’s game. I sure miss those times!

Not even remotely true most of the good defenses are playing very physical with there CB's .