We got Jadeveon Clowney !!!

Fade

Reaction score
getnasty":sy13yuoj said:
Gametime":sy13yuoj said:
Very interested in the statistical impact of playing a 4-3 vs a 3-4 and playing in a contract year for a team he WANTS to play for. This trade could be all time.

4-3 end seems like the perfect fit for Clowney. I imagine in Pete's football dictionary when he looks up Leo there is a picture of Clowney.

In terms of physical tools he definitely is the ideal Leo, if Pete & Co can coach him up to realize his potential, he is a game wrecker.

All for a 3rd rd pick, and a couple of backup Linebackers. :D

Gametime

Reaction score
Fade":3p3fsykp said:
getnasty":3p3fsykp said:
Gametime":3p3fsykp said:
Very interested in the statistical impact of playing a 4-3 vs a 3-4 and playing in a contract year for a team he WANTS to play for. This trade could be all time.

4-3 end seems like the perfect fit for Clowney. I imagine in Pete's football dictionary when he looks up Leo there is a picture of Clowney.

In terms of physical tools he definitely is the ideal Leo, if Pete & Co can coach him up to realize his potential, he is a game wrecker.

All for a 3rd rd pick, and a couple of backup Linebackers. :D

Very hard to see any downside to this move.

knownone

Reaction score
Fade":1yfuph40 said:
knownone":1yfuph40 said:
Clowney will change people's perception of him when they see him play. I honestly think he'll be a better player in this system than Frank. A lot of people are penciling Clowney in at LEO, but he's also an ideal fit at SAM in the Bruce Irvin role. With everyone healthy, this is the best front 7 we've had since 2013 with arguably the higher ceiling in terms of top in talent.

We're one of the most talented teams in the league now. Lets hope we put it all together on the field because this is a 11-14 win team on paper.

They are not playing him at Sam.

He will start at Leo, and Ziggy will come in on pass rushing downs to keep him healthy.
Cool... He'll also play SAM.

Rat

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":3nx06u7k said:
McGruff":3nx06u7k said:
timmat":3nx06u7k said:
Great for us certainly, but I don’t think we really stole him or anything like that. Teams just aren’t willing to offer much for 1yr rental players. The incentive for the Hawks was higher because he said he wanted to play here, thus increasing chances of resigning after the season. But I’d bet there weren’t many options out there for Texans.

The interesting thing for next offseason is do the Hawks even want to pay $20 plus million for a D lineman who’s never had double digit sacks? Obviously D lineman can dominate in ways other than sacks, but that price range is usually reserved for the pass rush monsters.

Time will tell, but for now, this is so sweet and just another reason to get excited about the season.

And another nod to our organization and fans for making this team a desired destination for players of this caliber.

Assuming health, I bet clowney exceeds double digits.

43 end is a much better fit for him.

I hope so...Clowney has averaged 7 sacks per year over the last 4 years, and that's with JJ Watt on the the other side occupying the O linemen. Perhaps a change of scenery and better coaching will do him good.

Clowney was actually double teamed more than Watt was last year. 32% to 29% according to some article on ESPN. Also had a higher pass-rush win rate than Watt, whatever that means. Was second in the NFL in that.

EDIT: Here's the link: https://www.espn.com/blog/houston-texan ... ey-holdout

McGruff

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":3tp58mhg said:
McGruff":3tp58mhg said:
timmat":3tp58mhg said:
Great for us certainly, but I don’t think we really stole him or anything like that. Teams just aren’t willing to offer much for 1yr rental players. The incentive for the Hawks was higher because he said he wanted to play here, thus increasing chances of resigning after the season. But I’d bet there weren’t many options out there for Texans.

The interesting thing for next offseason is do the Hawks even want to pay $20 plus million for a D lineman who’s never had double digit sacks? Obviously D lineman can dominate in ways other than sacks, but that price range is usually reserved for the pass rush monsters.

Time will tell, but for now, this is so sweet and just another reason to get excited about the season.

And another nod to our organization and fans for making this team a desired destination for players of this caliber.

Assuming health, I bet clowney exceeds double digits.

43 end is a much better fit for him.

I hope so...Clowney has averaged 7 sacks per year over the last 4 years, and that's with JJ Watt on the the other side occupying the O linemen. Perhaps a change of scenery and better coaching will do him good.

18.5 sacks over the last two years.

Also playing with Watt is both a negative and a positive. Competing with the best in the biz for who can get there first.

Fade

Reaction score
knownone":viehmodo said:
Fade":viehmodo said:
knownone":viehmodo said:
Clowney will change people's perception of him when they see him play. I honestly think he'll be a better player in this system than Frank. A lot of people are penciling Clowney in at LEO, but he's also an ideal fit at SAM in the Bruce Irvin role. With everyone healthy, this is the best front 7 we've had since 2013 with arguably the higher ceiling in terms of top in talent.

We're one of the most talented teams in the league now. Lets hope we put it all together on the field because this is a 11-14 win team on paper.

They are not playing him at Sam.

He will start at Leo, and Ziggy will come in on pass rushing downs to keep him healthy.
Cool... He'll also play SAM.

Sam is the Fullback of the defense, he could play there in the base D, if Kendricks or Wright get hurt, and Ziggy is healthy.

If the three backers are healthy Wright, Kendricks, and Wagner are on the field, not a chance. He will be at Leo.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Fade":32i2fm1w said:
Clowney in the Base Defense will start at Leo.

On passing downs he can be moved all over.

They can stand him up over a Guard, or they can have him in W9 alignment across from Ziggy.

Some of you throwing around 5T & 3T.

He won't play those spots in the base D, and won't have his hand in the dirt when playing inside.

You sound so sure of yourself here.

Clowney can and has played both 5T and 3T and done it very well. There is also the fact that he and Ziggy can’t both play LEO in the base defense at the same time. If one of them lines up at 5-tech Clowney is the clear choice.

Hey can play Leo, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 SAM, and standup inside rusher in the NASCAR package. Point is that he’s incredibly versatile and could be deployed in a number of ways.

Definitely seeing a pattern with the hawks personnel decisions: strong DEs who can dominate setting the edge against the run like Clowney and Collier, playing in front of quick run-hit overhang players (Kendricks, Barton, BBK, Blair, Amadi). They’ll always need a couple of pure edge rushers like Ziggy for passing downs but in base we’ll continue to see more DBs and fast, smaller OLBs to combat the spread offense, read option, and mobile QBs.

Fade

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":379lg47g said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/1167898641148702724[/tweet]

If that is true which it very well could be. As you need a stud like Earl to make Pete's 1 high system work. Clowney isn't going to be playing Sam.

Clowney will be at Leo or a traditional 7T 43end.

chris98251

Reaction score
People say one year rental, I say in contract now yes but he came here for a reason and I doubt it was one year, Brown could talk to him all day and not break any rules as long as it wasn't our Front office.

Secondly, people have been bitching about our secondary, if Clowney's press clippings are to be believed our secondary just got better without moving anything, more pressure less time to throw and more yards to go for a 1st down based on a better run defense.

The moves are still being made but I have to laugh at the 49ers fans posting here, one year rental blah blah blah, they are not liking that Mr Grab a Ho has to run for his life, brings back memory's of that one play Oh yea The Tip and the kind of pressure we had on a less fragile QB that was going to win multiple Super Bowls for them.

I say he resigns and that it's one of our off season priority's next season.

massari

Reaction score
Wow what a steal. All the pretend Dr's on twitter are saying his knee is a ticking time bomb though. Fingers crossed he and Ansah are healthy when the playoffs arrive.

Schneider's last two big trades were unbelievable.

Rat

Reaction score
chris98251":1fd6bbfc said:
People say one year rental

They shouldn't. We can franchise him again if we need to. That's the beauty of having the Wilson and Wagz deals done already. Closest thing to an essential FA we have is Reed, who obviously we want to keep, but he hurt his own value with the suspension anyway.

chris98251

Reaction score
Rat":1xmkrsn4 said:
chris98251":1xmkrsn4 said:
People say one year rental

They shouldn't. We can franchise him again if we need to. That's the beauty of having the Wilson and Wagz deals done already. Closest thing to an essential FA we have is Reed, who obviously we want to keep, but he hurt his own value with the suspension anyway.

Really 49ers, Rams, Cards are hoping one year rental is what should be said.

As a footnote it was Lane we traded that didn't pass his physical there, I am sure after that they made sure Martin and Mingo were healthy.

McGruff

Reaction score
Clowney can play 5 tech with Ansah

Clowney can play LEO with Collier.

Both can take turns inside on pass downs.

Fade

Reaction score
A-Dog":1id0dz1j said:
Fade":1id0dz1j said:
Clowney in the Base Defense will start at Leo.

On passing downs he can be moved all over.

They can stand him up over a Guard, or they can have him in W9 alignment across from Ziggy.

Some of you throwing around 5T & 3T.

He won't play those spots in the base D, and won't have his hand in the dirt when playing inside.

You sound so sure of yourself here.

Clowney can and has played both 5T and 3T and done it very well. There is also the fact that he and Ziggy can’t both play LEO in the base defense at the same time. If one of them lines up at 5-tech Clowney is the clear choice.

Hey can play Leo, 3-4 OLB, 4-3 SAM, and standup inside rusher in the NASCAR package. Point is that he’s incredibly versatile and could be deployed in a number of ways.

Definitely seeing a pattern with the hawks personnel decisions: strong DEs who can dominate setting the edge against the run like Clowney and Collier, playing in front of quick run-hit overhang players (Kendricks, Barton, BBK, Blair, Amadi). They’ll always need a couple of pure edge rushers like Ziggy for passing downs but in base we’ll continue to see more DBs and fast, smaller OLBs to combat the spread offense, read option, and mobile QBs.

Ever heard of 7T. ?

He will lineup in 7T & W9 most of the time. He will stand up over the guard and rush the A&B gaps, he will rarely ever play a 5 technique.

5 technique – An alignment and technique designation for defensive linemen. A 5 technique player is commonly a defensive end in a 3-4 front, and aligns directly across from the offensive tackle. The player is responsible for the two gaps (B & C) on either side of the offensive tackle. (Example: Richard Seymour) JJ Watt is a 5T. Clowney was a rush LBer in a 3-4. In Pete's defense that translates to the Leo which is a 7T-W9, not 5T.

To pile on more the lightest 5T Pete has ever used was 285lbs. Clowney is a Ferrari, they are going to play him on the edge, and stand him up and rush the A&B gaps where he can use his freak athleticism.

Quinton Jefferson 290 Ibs.
LJ Collier 290 Ibs.
Brandon Jackson 295 lbs.

Are the resident 5Techniques.

When Seattle goes nickle they don't play a 5T.

W9---------3T-----------3T-----------W9

Clowney on one end, Ziggy on the other, but it isn't 5T. W9/7T.

Latest posts