We Lost Because...

We lost because...

• Our defense didn't play up to expectations.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • We were out-coached for most of the game.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The worst play call in the history of the SB at the end of the game.

Votes: 110 66.7%
  • Wilson threw a bad pass at the end of the game.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Lockette didn't fight for the ball.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Other (read my comments)

Votes: 16 9.7%

• Total voters

The Delf

Reaction score
1. Our O failed to score so many times, only one more 6+1 and all of this wouldn't be talked about.
2. The D was pretty banged up.
3. Bevell. :D

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2v9rv8pl said:
TheRealDTM":2v9rv8pl said:
We run we win, so obvious its incredible

Lynch was 1 for 5 in scoring from 1 yard out this year.

not that obvious

Yes a safer bet but not a guarantee. My vote was it's on Lockette who is known for being tough and fast but got outdone by a rookie undrafted corner who saw only 14 plays in his last game. No excuse if you want to step up as a receiver you run route all out knowing YOU WILL GET HIT.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
It wasn't the worst call ever...

1) to call a passing play on 2nd down with 26 seconds left and only 1 time out was good clock management. It ensured the ability to run three plays instead of only two running plays before time ran out.

2) the actual type of play call can be debated ad nauseum. However, in general a quick slant is a low risk pass. Maybe the personnel choice was a poor decision but other than that how often does that play end in a pick? Almost never.

3) The execution of the play was not good. Wilson should have thrown it lower and maybe lead Lockette a little less. It the throw is at Lockette's body then Butler has to run through the receive to get the ball which would be a penalty.

4) Butler made an unbelievable play. Maybe we should be giving him more credit and blaming people less.

I chose "other'. We got beat on that final play because the NE CB made a great play and the Patriots offense performed. Our defensive backfield was dinged up and the defense gave up a 10 point lead because of it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":1pgwt7ex said:
Uncle Si":1pgwt7ex said:
TheRealDTM":1pgwt7ex said:

not that obvious

Yes a safer bet but not a guarantee. My vote was it's on Lockette who is known for being tough and fast but got outdone by a rookie undrafted corner who saw only 14 plays in his last game. No excuse if you want to step up as a receiver you run route all out knowing YOU WILL GET HIT.

apparently Kearse was supposed to pick Butler but was held up at the line by Browner. the whole thing sucks in that with the season on the line we left it to our unheralded and undrafted players over our two all pros.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":2ixccuck said:

1) to call a passing play on 2nd down with 26 seconds left and only 1 time out was good clock management. It ensured the ability to run three plays instead of only two running plays before time ran out.

2) the actual type of play call can be debated ad nauseum. However, in general a quick slant is a low risk pass. Maybe the personnel choice was a poor decision but other than that how often does that play end in a pick? Almost never.

3) The execution of the play was not good. Wilson should have thrown it lower and maybe lead Lockette a little less. It the throw is at Lockette's body then Butler has to run through the receive to get the ball which would be a penalty.

4) Butler made an unbelievable play. Maybe we should be giving him more credit and blaming people less.

I chose "other'. We got beat on that final play because the NE CB made a great play and the Patriots offense performed. Our defensive backfield was dinged up and the defense gave up a 10 point lead because of it.

all this. well said

White Devil

Reaction score
Despite everything good or bad that happened during that game, they were 1 yard away from scoring the go ahead TD with :40 seconds left in the game. Worst possible projected outcome at that point was overtime.

You can't possibly make that play call. I know Pete said they got caught with the wrong personnel on the field, which is also a head scratcher. The Super Bowl is on the line fro the 6 yard line with a minute to go. Lynch deserves to get the ball 4 straight times in that situation. Bevell got cute, just like he did at KC. I'd had enough of his stupidity after that game....I expect him to be gone next season. He has serious issues inside the Red Zone and any team that wants to hire him as a head coach....good luck.

Absolutely no excuse for that playcall.

And to the Pats troll that keeps bringing up the lucky catch to get down to the 6....your vaunted Defense was getting torched by undrafted free agents making great plays all night. They still had 2 downs after that play to keep the drive alive. You're an idiot.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1xhbnzg4 said:
TheRealDTM":1xhbnzg4 said:

not that obvious
On the other side, New England was the worst team in the league in stopping power runs with 1-2 yards to go, allowing the opponents to convert 83% of the time.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
You lost because Russell Wilson stared his receiver down from the moment he walked to the line. Its just wishful thinking that Marshawn would have scored. You will never know, were the chances greater? Yes, of course. Russell lost it because he took the risk to try and win the game on that play. I see no problem with it. Being great is RISK, he could have minimized it by actually using his brain, but thats life. He had 2 other plays, but he chose to throw it. QB gets the glory and QB becomes the goat and not the good kind.

"I saw Wilson looking over there [toward the receivers]," Butler said. "He kept his head still and just looked over there, so that gave me a clue. And the stacked receivers, I just knew they were going to throw. My instincts, I just went with it, just went with my mind and made the play."

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Lynch runs and we are back to back champions...not the play that will haunt tis team forever...

Ruminator

Reaction score
Several reasons, but injuries forcing Lane to come out early and Avril to come out late were enormously helpful to the Pats' offense.

Bux005

Reaction score
As much as I was disappointed our d let them get the lead, I think the situation with the last play rendered everything previous insignificant in terms of blame. Sorry for using a golf reference but it's like the pga player who misses a 2 foot putt to win and blames his first round. Yeah, you could have set yourself up better. You could have shot 70 instead of 71 on thursday. Fact of the matter is you couldn't make a 2 foot putt to win. If it was a 30 footer to win then that's a different story.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":p5o6kdsp said:
You lost because Russell Wilson stared his receiver down from the moment he walked to the line. Its just wishful thinking that Marshawn would have scored. You will never know, were the chances greater? Yes, of course. Russell lost it because he took the risk to try and win the game on that play. I see no problem with it. Being great is RISK, he could have minimized it by actually using his brain, but thats life. He had 2 other plays, but he chose to throw it. QB gets the glory and QB becomes the goat and not the good kind.

"I saw Wilson looking over there [toward the receivers]," Butler said. "He kept his head still and just looked over there, so that gave me a clue. And the stacked receivers, I just knew they were going to throw. My instincts, I just went with it, just went with my mind and made the play."

is there a better place for you to be than trolling on here the day after.

such a twat.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
The patriots executed their offensive game plan well. Our defensive injuries along the defensive line and in the defensive backfield mounted and it showed.

The playcall to pass wasn't necessarily the worst ever (though still very bad) but a rollout or anything that was not the simplest route concept that was practice by New England ad nauseum would have been better.

sam1313

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":289xzqv3 said:

Really well put. Sums up my feelings and my vote. I would have rather had Russell actually drop back though where he could toss it away if nobody was open.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
The play was unbelievable at the time and still horrible today... The game will be remembered as having the play that was the worse last play in Superbowl history... Not sure whatever Pete Carrol says will ever make it clear in peoples mind that the play was anything but wrong and cost us this valued Superbowl... Today I'm embarrased to call myself a 12th Man... :(

Ozzy

Reaction score
Wilson made the throw that needed to be made on a quick timing route. It's not his fault Lockette made a poor effort or that Kearse did a terrible job of running his route to pull coverage or that Butler would make an unbelievable play on the ball. Wilson played unbelievable yesterday in my opinion so lets get that out of the way.

Kearse third down drop was huge. Puts the game away if he catches it and Wilson threw a perfect pass. He cannot be starting next year.

The non trip call: This could of been a 20-30+ play and instead they punt.

Defense in the 4th: Injuries caught up to them and I thought they played hard. Simon was terrible in coverage and tackling overall was much worse than it usually is.

The play call. No one runs a cross with everyone between the hashes from a bunch formation in that spot. No one. Maybe if you have a Dez or a calvin and you know they will block out the defender but it was a terrible call. Lockette should of made a better attempt at it but regardless how you choose that pass, let alone a pass at all is crazy. If you were dead set on passing why not a big body like Mathews similar to the play at the end of the half? But just run it. Run read option, run Wilson on a roll out to the left isolated against Hightower or just give it to Lynch. Baffling honestly.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
You lost because you played a better team. Green Bay was also better. I said before the game that the Seahawks peaked a year ago, you lost a lot of guys to FA and injuries, and just weren't nearly as dominant as last year. All true statements, face the reality.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":393lbqud said:
You lost because you played a better team. Green Bay was also better. I said before the game that the Seahawks peaked a year ago, you lost a lot of guys to FA and injuries, and just weren't nearly as dominant as last year. All true statements, face the reality.

Green Bay wasn't better, and we weren't dominant last year. Apparently the only Seahawk game you saw last year was the Super Bowl.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":1jxmwx6g said:

we lost because we didnt run in from 1 yard.

dont be daft. you know that game couldve gone either way with 20 seconds to go.

go celebrate. dont be a dick on here just because theres nothing better to do with yourself

Tokadub

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":13kkec70 said:

1) If the Seahawks were prepared to win the game this scenario should of played out like this (and I'm just assuming it goes all the way to 4th down even though Lynch probably scores on 2nd or 3rd for us):

- 1st down Lynch runs with 1:06 remaining
- 2nd down Lynch runs with 40 seconds remaining
- 3rd down Lynch runs with 15 seconds remaining
- Call a timeout with 5 seconds remaining
- 4th down Lynch runs with 5 seconds remaining and we win/lose on this play

As this espn article simply explains there are several teams that average ENTIRE GAMES running plays in under 25 seconds:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/87601/inside-slant-plays-and-time-of-possession

a. Buffalo Bills (21.8)
b. Denver Broncos (23.2)
c. Philadelphia Eagles (23.3)
d. Baltimore Ravens (24.4)
e. New England Patriots (25.0)

So all we had to do is run 2 plays from the 1 yard line in the amount of time some teams average for entire games... There is just no excuse why we wasted 40 seconds and then proceeded to lose the game with the worst call of all time.

2) That is normally true but not in this specific situation.

a. It was 2nd and 1 so the entire defense was stacked and compacted compared to a typical slant at the 50 yard line.
b. They were expecting us to run the ball so the already insanely packed red zone area had even more defenders stacked in that immediate region.
c. Given points a and b, throwing the ball into that area was extremely risky... that play was by far the most likely chance to cause us to lose compared to throwing it to any other location imaginable.
d. Overall there is no debate about the type of play call, it was quite possibly the worst call in NFL history when considering it decided an epic Super Bowl game between what could of been the 2 greatest teams of our era if we had won... There was enough time to run the ball 4 times, we shouldn't have waited 40 seconds after Lynch's 1st down run that was an epic fail of our coaching staff not trusting our defense (or it could be just Bevell and Carroll fumbling around indecisively).

3) The execution of the play is irrelevant when the call was the worst in NFL history. The coaches should of considered the significant difficulty of completing this play and the obvious possibilities of disastrous failure (I couldn't even believe we threw it there I was in shock... I think I knew we lost the moment I realized we weren't running it well before the interception actually occurred).

Marshawn Lynch can get 1 yard on that defense with his eyes closed especially when he has 3 tries... I'm not sure why anyone is trying to defend this coaching decision. It's unacceptable, inexcusable, and Bevell should be fired (I've felt that way since 2012 this isn't his first dumb call he does it every game).

4) It was a great play but he knew it was coming, once again Bevell failed to call a play that was difficult for the Defense to read... and it seems like being unpredictable was the 1 tiny insignificant and worthless logical point you could use to support that call... but we didn't even have that.

Malcolm Butler said that their "scout team" ran that exact play so apparently Belicheck knew we were going to use it...

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm being overly defensive but I just can't see this as the kind of situation that we should be defending Bevell's atrocious play calls. We need to get that bum out of here once and for all I'd LOVE to see what we could do with a real Offensive Coordinator... I think it's pretty clear Wilson is not progressing with Bevell any marginal improvements he's had since his first 2 seasons (which were incredible) seem to be from his own personal experience and study habits not from Bevell coaching him up.

Latest posts