• No

Votes: 99 94.3%

• Total voters

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
We don’t cut Geno - “we aren’t tanking“
We cut Adams, Digg etc - “we are tanking”

so which is it?

IF we ARE tanking signing Geno was dumb from a cap view and, if he played all year, from a QBOTF game development view.
if we are NOT tanking we are cutting a lot of experience. (I agree with the cuts)

and If there is TRULY a QB competition for starting then signing Geno was also dumb as he’d be a stupidly overpaid backup if he lost.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Teams don't decide to "tank" before the season even begins. Maybe they do once the season gets into the back half. Some of these moves are rip the band-aid off decisions that had to be done. They might lead to an underwhelming year and a good draft pick but that's not necessarily the aim. Certainly not in MM's first season with the club.

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
I voted yes. And it’s not the traditional tanking. I think they are trying to see who fits and who doesn’t and that will take a year or two. You do need a serviceable QB so they can get a better idea who fits.

they are trying to remain competitive while cutting dead weight to give younger guys a chance to see what they can do. I don’t think they are trying to go 0-17 though. Just an evaluation year.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Tanking this year wouldn't help the Hawks for next year's draft. There isn't one guy next year that they must have to win it all, IMHO. Even if they hit all on all their draft picks at a higher than average rate this year. They are still 3-5 years out from making consistent runs at the Superbowl. They do seem to be clearing cap space for 2025, though.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Tanking this year wouldn't help the Hawks for next year's draft. There isn't one guy next year that they must have to win it all, IMHO. Even if they hit all on all their draft picks at a higher than average rate this year. They are still 3-5 years out from making consistent runs at the Superbowl. They do seem to be clearing cap space for 2025, though.
I agree with everything but the 3-5 years
My "prediction" is MM does the same as last season 9-8 but they're in a better spot roster wise ready for 2025.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
They are probably gonna trade down
They are probably gonna get the qbotf
We now have what I see as good to great coordinators on both sides of the ball and a little time to develop a guy or stock the team while we figure out how to get the qb we need next year so patience is a virtue crap sucks azz but ya never know how the draft goes
Penix has a deep ball similar to what russ had and we have the guys that can go get it but obviously both sides of our line need to be beefed up , so were on a 2-3 year trajectory and im ok with that

Chawker

Reaction score
What the first thing a new coach does ? He gets rid of the players that are holding the team back from succeeding. Trimming the waste/ saving money. Money that can be spent on better talent.

Cheers

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Considering that the average NFL career is 3.3 years, then logically we can predict that every team is 3-5 years from a run at the Super Bowl. Is this team tanking? No. The mantra and culture surrounding this team is that they want to be a consistent winner. That consistency of winning came with Pete Carroll. That is the culture that John talked about retaining from the PC era. There has been no evidence one way or the other that the plan is to tank.
I highly doubt that in the interview process with Macdonald that John Schneider ever uttered anything close to the phrase, "we want to offer you the job but we want you to be a really shitty coach the first year or so because some internet fans think thats the best way to build a team."

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
At some point, Tanking should just be a banned word on here. It never works out :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
It's like quitting a decent job to kick yourself in the balls all day, just so you can collect welfare at 30% of your old salary.

"B-but I'm doing it for the PICKS!"

Yeah, you ruined the team on purpose so they'd be bad. You now NEED the picks just to get back to MAYBE being decent one day.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Considering that the average NFL career is 3.3 years, then logically we can predict that every team is 3-5 years from a run at the Super Bowl. Is this team tanking? No. The mantra and culture surrounding this team is that they want to be a consistent winner. That consistency of winning came with Pete Carroll. That is the culture that John talked about retaining from the PC era. There has been no evidence one way or the other that the plan is to tank.
I highly doubt that in the interview process with Macdonald that John Schneider ever uttered anything close to the phrase, "we want to offer you the job but we want you to be a really shitty coach the first year or so because some internet fans think thats the best way to build a team."
So Seahawks fans truly believe that we will start making Superbowl runs in 2 years? Basically the end of 2025? Superbowls teams that will sustain it's self for the next decade? That's a lot of FA talent you have to hit on, tbf.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's like quitting a decent job to kick yourself in the balls all day, just so you can collect welfare at 30% of your old salary.

"B-but I'm doing it for the PICKS!"

Yeah, you ruined the team on purpose so they'd be bad. You now NEED the picks just to get back to MAYBE being decent one day.
Yup

SonicHawk

Reaction score
No reason we should be tanking. Really hard to stop being bad.

chris98251

Reaction score
We are not Tanking, we are changing, this requires different cultural shifts and mindsets. Pete was looked at as a Players Coach, we don't know anything other then Mac's players loved playing for them. We are also changing schemes all around which require maybe different skill sets, Again change, given that the team is doing all this stop gap expensive guys won't be here when it's done so they are given a their walking papers. The new and younger guys will be learning all these new schemes, you don't tank when your going to school, especially when it's boot camp.

xray

Reaction score
Imagine a team tanking , but still hope to sell out the season tickets to the really dumb fans that just don't get it . ;)

Mase

Reaction score
- We are absolutely not tanking because we cut some expensive veterans. A new coaching staff cannot implement any new game plans if they can't afford any players who fit that new plan. Keeping Geno gives us a serviceable starter for one more year, so if we can draft someone who isn't quite ready to start, we have a buffer.

- Could we conceivably be competing for a Super Bowl starting in 2025, unlikely, but possible. I guarantee you that Houston has those aspirations. The simple difference is that we did not suck enough the year before we hired a young DC as our new head coach. Makes it harder to acquire that young star QB. But if we hit one in this draft, then hell yeah, no reason we can't contend for playoffs in 24 and then have loftier goals for the ensuing years.

Mase