We may be past the worst of our oline woes

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Every year it's hard to project which teams are going to be tough and which aren't. But after 5 weeks, the DVOA's start to shake out and we have a better picture of who is who this season. So what does Football Outsiders DVOA tell us this season?

That we've played 3 top 10 pass rushing teams. Washington was #3 going into MNF and now they're ranked the second best pass rush in the NFL. San Diego is ranked 7th and Denver is ranked 10th. Green Bay is ranked below average at 18th and guess what? We dominated Green Bay and our oline looked decent. Most points we've scored all year.

So what does the future hold for us? Arizona, San Fran and St. Louis are the three worst pass rushing teams in the NFL. They just can't bring pressure on the QB. We play them 6 games. The only top 10 pass rushing team left on our schedule is KC. The next two toughest pass rushing teams are middling teams ranked 15th and 16th, Carolina and the Giants respectively.

I think if Okung can get through this injury, our oline should start looking better from here on out. Let's not forget, we went 3-1 vs that gauntlet of good pass rushing teams with elite QB's.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
A big part of SF's problem has been their injuries and suspensions. By the time we play them, they will be a much better pass rushing team.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I doubt it. Those guys will just be getting back and it'll take a while before they hit their stride. If we face them in the playoffs, yes, they'll be much improved, but they won't have gotten in game shape when we face them in the regular season. Our worst enemy vs SF is playing on a short week on the road Thanksgiving. Otherwise, I'd say we sweep them this year.

Laloosh

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2dyqboav said:
I doubt it. Those guys will just be getting back and it'll take a while before they hit their stride. If we face them in the playoffs, yes, they'll be much improved, but they won't have gotten in game shape when we face them in the regular season. Our worst enemy vs SF is playing on a short week on the road Thanksgiving. Otherwise, I'd say we sweep them this year.

Far as I know, aldon still gets to attend team activities, just can't play. Part of the new policy for substance abuse isn't it?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Laloosh":6uh6fqi8 said:
SalishHawkFan":6uh6fqi8 said:

Far as I know, aldon still gets to attend team activities, just can't play. Part of the new policy for substance abuse isn't it?

Correct. I'm not sure if it's a league wide thing, but they did it for Aldon Smith. Far as I know, he's practicing and going to team meetings and everything. He should be in shape. Bowman might not be 100% at all this year, but he'll still be an improvement on who they've got fiilling in now.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2bbgq9oo said:
No way does Ariz, SF or StL finish anywhere near bottom 3 in pass rush...

Arizona is decimated with injuries, and the loss of Long for the Rams makes a huge difference. I can see them near the bottom without a doubt.

hawk45

Reaction score
I agree with most of the OP. Having said that, I'll believe our OL improving in pass pro specifically when I see it, because I haven't seen good pass pro since Wilson's first year when he had the defenses traumatized with the threat of the read-option.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawk45":1iqorsfg said:
I agree with most of the OP. Having said that, I'll believe our OL improving in pass pro specifically when I see it, because I haven't seen good pass pro since Wilson's first year when he had the defenses traumatized with the threat of the read-option.
Which is why it's no coincidence that vs the 2nd best pass rushing team this season, the Hawks started out on Wilson's legs.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
hawk45":2nsgym7q said:
I agree that they still warrant a very critical eye; however, they have lined up against a variety of fronts with a very green RT. I will give them the benefit of the doubt because the latest contest was kind of a double whammy with that 3-4 front and and blitz-happy DC.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The nines should be back to full strength by the time we play them. We have so many issues of our own too. We are t the same Oline that Greenbay faced either. Not full strength our selves.