Welker destroyed on Kam's interception

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Ruminator":3ofte3ls said:
ET had a huge game today. Was definitely on a mission to help the team get the win. In all three games, he was freaking everywhere!

Played amazing with 2x forced fumbles.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If Kam isn't where he is, we might be talking about Earl's game saving interception or hit.

Welker stays in a bit of a spectating pose watching the pick as well. So, in a way, he helped hang himself out to dry. I admit I was looking for laundry, I saw the blow up right away. It is just what I expect from refs anymore, automatic flags on hard hits.

Largent80

Reaction score
That hit was Magnificent !!!!!!!

I wonder if Molly paid a visit to Welker after the game?

Threedee

Reaction score
Molly is a small receiver. We've been seeing all sorts of DBs struggle to hit him cleanly when his head is always at their shoulder level at contact.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
That was a terrible decision. Anyone complaining about Manning "not getting a chance" can look to this drive when he decided to throw into 3 blue jerseys. Kam made a hell of a play on to snag it, though

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Tical21":1skfwkm9 said:
I saw this during the game. I didn't think anything of it. Earl was going a million miles an hour. He didn't lower himself in any way, and I thought he completely eased up. He was going so fast that contact was inevitable and since Welker wasn't looking, he went down like a sack of potatoes. I guarantee you Welker doesn't think it was a dirty hit.

I don't know man, saw some comments on Twitter from media types, apparently Welker was livid on the sidelines afterwards he didn't get a flag from that.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
keith da hawk":2vtvt7mb said:
You have to feel bad for Welker. It seems like he gets absolutely destroyed at least once every time he plays against the Seahawks. Go back to 2012 when Browner blew him up, twice in the Super Bowl where he get de-cleated by KJ Wright and then almost murdered by Chancellor, and then ET lighting him up today. Just bad luck for him overall. Haha!

I don't feel bad for him at all.

In fact, I get a weird sense of joy when I see him get smashed by our secondary.

I just can't stand the guy. I hate his illegal picks, and I like when our guys get some payback.

Torc

Reaction score
It sure seems like ET is going for the ball-separating hit and timing it for when the ball would have arrived if Kam hadn't picked it off. It ended up being a block but watching at full speed it looks like a well timed leveling to prevent a catch.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
“It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are: [. . .]
(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
[. . .]

Looked to me like Welker wasn't making a catch, so he shouldn't be considered a defenseless receiver.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pmedic920":20eozftw said:
Doesn't the fact that the hit occurred after the INT make it a clean block vs a hit on defenseless receiver?
Yes. And clearly it was after the interception after that point he is considered a downfield blocker or similar.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
pmedic920":28i3ut1z said:
Doesn't the fact that the hit occurred after the INT make it a clean block vs a hit on defenseless receiver?

Because of the timing, it still would have been unnecessary roughness had Thomas made contact with Welker's head or if the referees judged the hit to have been committed "unnecessarily" because Welker was "out of the play."

Looking at different close ups from the video, I don't think either of those things were true. The hit was to Welker's chest (within the strike zone) by the shoulder of Thomas. Also, Welker was within a few yards of Chancellor and in position to run him down for a tackle had Thomas not made that "block." Therefore, he was not out of the play.

Not every big hit is deserving of a penalty. See a similar hit by Chancellor on Vernon Davis last season that was incorrectly called a penalty and then overruled by the NFL. The referees made the correct decision by not calling a penalty here.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
There is no such thing as pass interference after the ball has been tipped or intercepted buy the defense. You can literally run through the receiver. Thomas did not hit him before Kam touched the ball therefor it's a no call. Also no helmet hits, and he was in a position to make a tackle if he were not blocked. Good football and I would have been pissed if there was a call there.
On a side note I really enjoyed seeing him take the hit and just lay down for a while.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Denver may have tried to upgrade there physicality on defense but welcome to the original LEGION OF BOOM. Where hard hits come naturally never artificial. Mmmm good.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
It's clearly shoulder to helmet. I'm honestly surprised anyone could see it any other way. As far as Earl letting up, he leaves his feet to uncork Welker, so I'm not really buying that argument either.

As Scotte points out, we've seen other LOB members get flagged for big hits that were actually legal. I think Seattle definitely caught a break here and benefited from a ref crew that let both teams play.

Don't get me wrong, I love the play though. Earl is not a dirty player and I'm sure he didn't intend for that play to turn out the way it did, he just missed high in the strikezone. He is in position to make a play and usually he will make it correctly. And though I have no malice against Welker, it is so much fun watching our back seven blow him the hell up every time he plays us.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":20qayrzv said:
It's clearly shoulder to helmet. I'm honestly surprised anyone could see it any other way. As far as Earl letting up, he leaves his feet to uncork Welker, so I'm not really buying that argument either.

As Scotte points out, we've seen other LOB members get flagged for big hits that were actually legal. I think Seattle definitely caught a break here and benefited from a ref crew that let both teams play.

Don't get me wrong, I love the play though. Earl is not a dirty player and I'm sure he didn't intend for that play to turn out the way it did, he just missed high in the strikezone. He is in position to make a play and usually he will make it correctly. And though I have no malice against Welker, it is so much fun watching our back seven blow him the hell up every time he plays us.

There was absolutely no contact to the head in this play.

Clayfighter

Reaction score
HawkFan72":iv8wtssi said:
keith da hawk":iv8wtssi said:
You have to feel bad for Welker. It seems like he gets absolutely destroyed at least once every time he plays against the Seahawks. Go back to 2012 when Browner blew him up, twice in the Super Bowl where he get de-cleated by KJ Wright and then almost murdered by Chancellor, and then ET lighting him up today. Just bad luck for him overall. Haha!

I don't feel bad for him at all.

In fact, I get a weird sense of joy when I see him get smashed by our secondary.

I just can't stand the guy. I hate his illegal picks, and I like when our guys get some payback.

HAHAHA! I was thinking the exact same thing. Welker is a punk. I loved Sherman calling him out during the SuperBowl. He is talented, but i don't like him.