OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":3qntjdlg said:
I told a friend today, and this sums it up for me personally;

"Why have a Lamborghini in your garage if you don't plan on driving it?"

Only if you have a highway to enjoy it, sitting in Rush hour traffic it would be a waste :p

John63

Reaction score
Aros":2isa7hfa said:

Easy because as the HC does not want to ride it only an occasional joy ride when needed. Its simple Wilson is PC ace int h whole, he knows if he keeps it close Wilson will win it if it gets out of hand and he lets him loose soon enough they will win. This game he waited too long, PCs system would not work consistently without a QB like Wilson in the NFL.

mrt144

Reaction score
John63":3pjjlvws said:
Aros":3pjjlvws said:

Easy because as the HC does not want to ride it only an occasional joy ride when needed. Its simple Wilson is PC ace int h whole, he knows if he keeps it close Wilson will win it if it gets out of hand and he lets him loose soon enough they will win. This game he waited too long, PCs system would not work consistently without a QB like Wilson in the NFL.

Right? It consistently feels like he is a "use in case of emergency" feature, not someone use to avert emergency before it happens.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I really hate the idea of relying on Russ for a final drive to pull one of the hat. That's really a silly approach by Pete if true, and it puts a ridiculous amount of pressure on Wilson(not that he can't handle it)

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2gvuawnk said:
That’s what you took from the Rams game?

What I took from that game last night is that our game plan was pathetic. And that Sean McVay would work wonders with Russ.

All night, McVay leveraged the play action threat to set up the pass. He started out with Gurley, who the Cowboys were intent on stopping. Goff had a clean pocket all game. McVay kept hitting them with play action passes that kept them on their heels. The Cowboys had no idea what to expect on any given play call. Very few obvious passing or run situations

We were the number 1 rushing team. That we didn’t leverage that better was PATHETIC. Even if it’s 4 straight play action passes, keep them on their heels. Punish them and let them respect the pass

Also, the Rams took the Cowboys OUT of what they wanted to do, whereas we played into their style. The Cowboys want to slow the game down, play strong defense, run the ball, and hopefully win late with Dak, Coop, and Zeke. The Rams got up early on them and the Cowboys didn’t know what to do. That’s what we should have done. And we had every capability of doing so

Exactly correct. Even if you want to go with blaming the poor run blocking due to injury, that still proves the point of a poor gameplan as those injuries were known. It also says nothing for the fact we made no adjustments to force the cowboys to stop stacking the box.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
John63":li4obfr2 said:
That said I do agree on injuries to our 2 guards hurt however the lack of adjusting till it was too late is what cost us

What makes you so sure our offensive line would have executed passing plays any better than running plays? The same gimpy personnel would have been on the field either way.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2eak3dr6 said:
John63":2eak3dr6 said:
That said I do agree on injuries to our 2 guards hurt however the lack of adjusting till it was too late is what cost us

What makes you so sure our offensive line would have executed passing plays any better than running plays? The same gimpy personnel would have been on the field either way.

DUDE!!! Adjusting doesn’t guarantee success—it doesn’t change the fact that you DO IT WHEN SHIT AINT WORKING! You simply have to be creative enough on offense to be able to make in-game changes to counter your opponent. Russell Wilson is a better QB than Chris Carson is an RB. Our game plan looked as though we were completely one dimensional. All people wanted to see was some kind of adjustment made. Instead, Dallas was the better team and we lost to a coach who wouldn’t have a job anywhere else if he were fired.

John63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3bz4k8kt said:
John63":3bz4k8kt said:

The fact that they did when we went to it in the 4th. The fact the Head Coach, OC, and Qb said they should have gone to it sooner lets look at it

Passing 233 yards, 66.6% completion, 8.6 ypa most int he 4th qtr
Rushing 2.8 ypc(minus the QB) 73 yards on 24 carries

So we can go with what was not working or go with what is. Once they stop what is working we can go back to the other and keep them off balance, or better mix it in a lot more.

We did it in the Carlina game when we could not run in the 1st half and then it opened up the turn later, However, for some reason, we did not this time. FYI Pete Carroll even mentioned we should have passed more and sooner and mentioned Carolin as the example.

However, besides all that, common sense says if one thing is not working try another, the fact we waited til lit was too late is another issue.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":24i4f0ap said:
John63":24i4f0ap said:

Well we have run Russ run thanks to Cable so he can be our oline at times.

John63

Reaction score
Seymour":2dnpl2fb said:
MontanaHawk05":2dnpl2fb said:
John63":2dnpl2fb said:

Well we have run Russ run thanks to Cable so he can be our oline at times.

The reality is running was not working so common sense says to try something else, and when we did it worked too. too much, too little, too late to quote Johnny Mathis and Denice Willaims (yes I am old LOL)

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
John63":2vz8eaga said:
MontanaHawk05":2vz8eaga said:
John63":2vz8eaga said:

The fact that they did when we went to it in the 4th. The fact the Head Coach, OC, and Qb said they should have gone to it sooner lets look at it

So we can go with what was not working or go with what is. Once they stop what is working we can go back to the other and keep them off balance, or better mix it in a lot more.

We did it in the Carlina game when we could not run in the 1st half and then it opened up the turn later, However, for some reason, we did not this time. FYI Pete Carroll even mentioned we should have passed more and sooner and mentioned Carolin as the example.

However, besides all that, common sense says if one thing is not working try another, the fact we waited til lit was too late is another issue.

Their success passing in the 4th quarter isn't some product of finally "going with what works". It's a result of the fact that Dallas had switched to prevent defense in order to cut off the big play, which typically results in more room to pass underneath.

I myself agree that they should have passed a bit more. I'm also well aware of what the HC, OC, and QB said about passing more, in part because you won't shut up about it and go running back to them every time you jump into one of these threads (which is every five seconds). So I hardly need to be reminded. ;)

But "them passing a little more" would have involved a handful of plays, maybe, all of which were prone to the usual risk of failure and would have tended to leave Dallas with more time to respond. It's worth pointing out that when Seattle did go pass in the 4th, they immediately had two big penalties that killed a drive. So passing more ain't a cure-all. It's more likely to help, as it did in Carolina.

With all that in mind, I just can't get that worked up about the run-heavy decision, as off-kilter as it may have been. I give more weight to Dallas just plain playing well at home and being the better team.

Think of it this way: had our offense executed as well as it did in the regular season WITH the gameplan we saw, we would have won.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":el9nsevm said:
John63":el9nsevm said:

This argument, that there is no guarantee that as adjustment will be successful, just blows my mind.

If you make the adjustment and it doesn't work you are no worse off. The point is to get away from something you KNOW isn't working. Probability of success with the known bad approach is small. Probability of success with a change in approach is unknown and THATS THE ENTIRE ADVANTAGE.

Which IMO the posters proffering this argument are well aware of. It's cheap contrarianism and it's just as much reflex as the "burn the OC" reflex that such posters think they are rising above.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawk45":1k4u8w0m said:
If you make the adjustment and it doesn't work you are no worse off.

You are in Pete's mind. He sees the passing game as a risk. It leaves more time on the clock and greater risk of turnovers. This isn't a new revelation. We've known this about him since he got here.

I would have thrown more often on first down myself. But it carries a tradeoff, and in light of that, the slice of blame that play-calling deserves gets smaller. At least for me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
John63":1gqjfxbh said:
Uncle Si":1gqjfxbh said:
Should have thrown sooner is the same thing as throwing more, to be fair.

Yeah, they waited too long. But.. if the D makes a tackle on 3rd and 17 in the final minutes then the team has the ball, down 3/6 points with 4 minutes to go. This is the scenario PC is trying for. He was poor tackling away from being in the position he wanted.

Watching the team march down the field and score down 11 in now way definitively shows how successful the team wouldve been had they started the 2nd half that way. Dallas was very clearly rushing with 4 and dropping deep, allowing for more room to complete passes. Their D would've been different to start the 2nd.

Would it have mattered? Hard to say. But proclamations that it would ignore the way the team has been successful all season, and in PC's past 7 years.

Actually no if you look at our success just this year we did rin, but when it struggled we adjusted see the Carolina Game as one example. That was the difference in this game we waited too long to adjust, Now was it the only issue? NO, but it was one, and some on here want to ignore it or say it was not which is wrong. Given both the HC and OC said they should have starting throwing sooner and more It is safe to say we should have

Actuay no? You just repeated what i said. You also bring up carolina. Interesting because as the team marched up the field with high risk passes they also gave the ball back to the Panthers quickly who were running their offense almost at will. That is something PC tries to guard against.

Look at the first cowboys game that while the run wasnt breaking the game open it was controlling it.

So regardless of what PC has said, if the D makes tbe one stop they need the offense has the ball in a situztion PC has wanted his team to be in for years.

Couple game highlights of our bigger games in the PC era demonstrate that.

The only issue i have with the Dallas 2nd half was that there wasnt much balance or flexibility. That doesnt mean the team needed to start hurling the ball over

John63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ro5n84c8 said:
John63":ro5n84c8 said:
MontanaHawk05":ro5n84c8 said:
John63":ro5n84c8 said:

Their success passing in the 4th quarter isn't some product of finally "going with what works". It's a result of the fact that Dallas had switched to prevent defense in order to cut off the big play, which typically results in more room to pass underneath.

I myself agree that they should have passed a bit more. I'm also well aware of what the HC, OC, and QB said about passing more, in part because you won't shut up about it and go running back to them every time you jump into one of these threads (which is every five seconds). So I hardly need to be reminded. ;)

But "them passing a little more" would have involved a handful of plays, maybe, all of which were prone to the usual risk of failure and would have tended to leave Dallas with more time to respond. It's worth pointing out that when Seattle did go pass in the 4th, they immediately had two big penalties that killed a drive. So passing more ain't a cure-all. It's more likely to help, as it did in Carolina.

With all that in mind, I just can't get that worked up about the run-heavy decision, as off-kilter as it may have been. I give more weight to Dallas just plain playing well at home and being the better team.

Think of it this way: had our offense executed as well as it did in the regular season WITH the gameplan we saw, we would have won.

Think about it this way it did not and we did not adjust, enough said. FYI* I will not "shut up' about it because it makes your and the other's argument moot, and you keep trying to push a stance that the people who would know the most don't agree with. FYI they were not in prevent all the 4th qtr nice try though, and that also does not change the facts what we were doing was not working so you adjust we did not till it was too late. Getting back to the coaches, and Qb saying so, well enough said, but I will keep reminding you as long as you and others keep ignoring it or try to push some different narrative.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
John63":2dhn0y3p said:
MontanaHawk05":2dhn0y3p said:
John63":2dhn0y3p said:
MontanaHawk05":2dhn0y3p said:

Think about it this way it did not and we did not adjust, enough said. FYI* I will not "shut up' about it because it makes your and the other's argument moot, and you keep trying to push a stance that the people who would know the most don't agree with. FYI they were not in prevent all the 4th qtr nice try though, and that also does not change the facts what we were doing was not working so you adjust we did not till it was too late. Getting back to the coaches, and Qb saying so, well enough said, but I will keep reminding you as long as you and others keep ignoring it or try to push some different narrative.

Rant all you like we lost the game at the LOS.

John63

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2q9l3qsv said:
John63":2q9l3qsv said:
Uncle Si":2q9l3qsv said:
Should have thrown sooner is the same thing as throwing more, to be fair.

Yeah, they waited too long. But.. if the D makes a tackle on 3rd and 17 in the final minutes then the team has the ball, down 3/6 points with 4 minutes to go. This is the scenario PC is trying for. He was poor tackling away from being in the position he wanted.

Watching the team march down the field and score down 11 in now way definitively shows how successful the team wouldve been had they started the 2nd half that way. Dallas was very clearly rushing with 4 and dropping deep, allowing for more room to complete passes. Their D would've been different to start the 2nd.

Would it have mattered? Hard to say. But proclamations that it would ignore the way the team has been successful all season, and in PC's past 7 years.

Actually no if you look at our success just this year we did rin, but when it struggled we adjusted see the Carolina Game as one example. That was the difference in this game we waited too long to adjust, Now was it the only issue? NO, but it was one, and some on here want to ignore it or say it was not which is wrong. Given both the HC and OC said they should have starting throwing sooner and more It is safe to say we should have

Actuay no? You just repeated what i said. You also bring up carolina. Interesting because as the team marched up the field with high risk passes they also gave the ball back to the Panthers quickly who were running their offense almost at will. That is something PC tries to guard against.

Look at the first cowboys game that while the run wasnt breaking the game open it was controlling it.

So regardless of what PC has said, if the D makes tbe one stop they need the offense has the ball in a situztion PC has wanted his team to be in for years.

Couple game highlights of our bigger games in the PC era demonstrate that.

The only issue i have with the Dallas 2nd half was that there wasnt much balance or flexibility. That doesnt mean the team needed to start hurling the ball over

ahh for one we won Carolina that said I never said throw all the time and only throw. I said start throwing more, not exclusively. If we threw more in the 1st half, mix it up more, it would have opened up the run more in the 2nd like Carolina. So like the Head Coach, OC, Qb, and just experts said we should have made our adjustments sooner.

Let me help you with Carolina
1st drive run, run, 3rd and long pass, pint
2nd drive run, run, 3rfd and long punt.
3rd drive pass, run, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, run, run, pass TD hmm amazing 10 plays
4th drive sack, run, run
5th drive run, run, pass, run, pass, run TD 7 plays
6th drive run, run, run, Pass, run, run, pass TD now why do you think these runs started working after not in the 1st half. answer the pass was working.

I will stop there, there was no more a high risk passing this game than any other and once again the run was not working against Dallas, however unlike the Carolina game were they adjusted in the 2nd qtr, they waited till the 4th against Dallas. THat was the mistake not adjusting sooner, which I have been saying all along that adjustment was around the pass game.

John63

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2bo1p3f9 said:
John63":2bo1p3f9 said:
MontanaHawk05":2bo1p3f9 said:
John63":2bo1p3f9 said:

Not debating that the line was an issue, but it was an issue that could have been mitigated by adjusting sooner. period. The Head Coach said, it, the OC said it, the QB said it, other players said it, most experts said it. Why it is so hard for some of you to see not adjusting was an issue too is beyond me. So sorry not really a rant but a fact.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
John63":2iuf3u0n said:
Northwest Seahawk":2iuf3u0n said:
John63":2iuf3u0n said:
MontanaHawk05":2iuf3u0n said:

Not debating that the line was an issue, but it was an issue that could have been mitigated by adjusting sooner. period. The Head Coach said, it, the OC said it, the QB said it, other players said it, most experts said it. Why it is so hard for some of you to see not adjusting was an issue too is beyond me. So sorry not really a rant but a fact.[/quote

Well i don't agree we could have just thrown the ball more and won . Not with that beatup O-line. So it's not a fact at all it's an opinion . What is a fact is we lost at the LOS and could not convert on 3rd down. ]