Wentz 'heroic' for reporting concussion

HawkGA

Reaction score
I know we are focused on the Packers and maybe this belongs in the NFL Forum, but since it happened in the Seahawks game and involved quite a bit of news during and after the game, I thought I'd put it here.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/284 ... concussion

Thoughts? I don't expect anybody to publicly disagree with this. All the main sports people are cowtowed by the concussion concerns. But his back up came in and played on a completely torn hamstring (there's a post on that in the NFL Forum). I get that the head is different, but I wonder if NFL players will have a hard time swallowing this.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
They are evaluated by an independent neurologist who has to clear them first before the can go back in and play. Not a team doctor. Also not the player himself making the decision. If it was up to Wentz he would go into the game and play.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Not true, really. Nobody stopped Wentz and checked him out. He self-reported.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2r30lssi said:
They are evaluated by an independent neurologist who has to clear them first before the can go back in and play. Not a team doctor. Also not the player himself making the decision. If it was up to Wentz he would go into the game and play.

Not so sure about that, Wentz was messed up bad. You could see him closing one eye, rubbing it, etc, because of the double vision. Concussions are no joke, a bad one is not something people can play through.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
He did the right thing for his long-term health and playing career and I agree with his decision, but come on NFL, calling his action "heroic" is absurd. The term Heroic as I understand it generally implies putting your own well-being at risk for the sake of saving or helping others - this was the opposite of that.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
He was never checked was he?

Losing Avril to the protocol is why Seattle lost. Keeping Edelman in the game certainly helped the Pats.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
HawkGA":185a638a said:

I think we are having a semantic argument. Whether or not he self reported to initiate this thing they DID EVALUATE him in the locker room. Sure he can initiate it. But what do you want him to do? Not tell them he has a concussion and tough it out and keep playing?

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
HawkStrong":354dnwyh said:
SanDiego49er":354dnwyh said:

Not so sure about that, Wentz was messed up bad. You could see him closing one eye, rubbing it, etc, because of the double vision. Concussions are no joke, a bad one is not something people can play through.

I've had concussions and even playing football. For moderate to severe ones there is no way you can play through that. It's tough to walk and stand without being dizzy, sick and off. You can't run around and play football. A real mild one maybe. But even that is a terrible idea. A head injury is serious and can have long term implications too.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":qo0sb0yo said:
He did the right thing for his long-term health and playing career and I agree with his decision, but come on NFL, calling his action "heroic" is absurd. The term Heroic as I understand it generally implies putting your own well-being at risk for the sake of saving or helping others - this was the opposite of that.

"Heroic" was probably the wrong word but "gutsy" is a better word. Turning your back on the warrior culture and your teammates to report a head injury takes some guts. You are risking losing your locker room leadership by not "manning up".

I think the doctor used "heroic" because it's important for this message to go out. Using "heroic" helps reinforce to players that this is the right thing to do and toughing out a head injury can't be tolerated in this day and age.

I've been "dinged" playing sports before. At least that's what we called it back then. Probably was a grade 1 concussion but you just played through it even if you didn't feel great. We need to eliminate that kind of attitude or risk losing football altogether.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":2mhxb44m said:
HawkGA":2mhxb44m said:

I think we are having a semantic argument. Whether or not he self reported to initiate this thing they DID EVALUATE him in the locker room. Sure he can initiate it. But what do you want him to do? Not tell them he has a concussion and tough it out and keep playing?

Pretty sure McCown didn't self-report his torn hamstring.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Did you see Wentz on the sidelines? The guy was wabbling, one thing to play through pain, it's another to play while your on a trip to lala land somewhere.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
Bobblehead":12ez16yd said:
Did you see Wentz on the sidelines? The guy was wabbling, one thing to play through pain, it's another to play while your on a trip to lala land somewhere.

I've just seen the edited replays of the game that cut out all in between plays stuff.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1nyclka3 said:

Yeah, and on the next play when he was waiting for the snap, only one of his eyes were blinking strangely.

Disturbing to see.

As a poster noted the neurologist makes the call but if Wentz made the initial to come out it's not "heroic" it's common sense, for god's sake.