What do we know 49ers Rivalry Week Edition...

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
ManBunts":5twpsduu said:
As mentioned, Gore has always had our number. The man is a very smart player and very good runner. Not flashy, but does his job and does it well. I've always liked him. That said, I hear he's battling hip and knee issues, which may mean less him, more Hyde, something that I think we should watch out for. We can't get lax just because Gore isn't getting the reps. Especially with Mebane out. I feel sooooo much better with Wagner back, and we'll need him to help keep contain on Kap. God I wish we had Unger though.

Offensively I see a lot of parallels between our two teams in that we're both power runners at heart, but our coaching staffs have gone away from that from time to time, and we only now see to be finding our footing.

I think the Niners secondary is hugely underrated at the moment and we need to be wary, but we have some underrated talent ourselves at WR and I'd love to take advantage of Richardson's speed, Norwood's hands, and Helfet's size.

Curious if there are any Niner fans reading this, what's your take on your defense? Seems like there was some turmoil with Brooks, and Bowman still sitting. Aldon is back and always dangerous, but one man does not a team make. Are all the perceived issues just conflated by the media?

The D is fine, had problems Aldon's first game back, seems to be mostly hurt egos. Seems like they worked it out and had nice rotation against the skins. I see our D only getting better.

Marvin49

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":onbrnszs said:
ManBunts":onbrnszs said:
As mentioned, Gore has always had our number. The man is a very smart player and very good runner. Not flashy, but does his job and does it well. I've always liked him. That said, I hear he's battling hip and knee issues, which may mean less him, more Hyde, something that I think we should watch out for. We can't get lax just because Gore isn't getting the reps. Especially with Mebane out. I feel sooooo much better with Wagner back, and we'll need him to help keep contain on Kap. God I wish we had Unger though.

Offensively I see a lot of parallels between our two teams in that we're both power runners at heart, but our coaching staffs have gone away from that from time to time, and we only now see to be finding our footing.

I think the Niners secondary is hugely underrated at the moment and we need to be wary, but we have some underrated talent ourselves at WR and I'd love to take advantage of Richardson's speed, Norwood's hands, and Helfet's size.

Curious if there are any Niner fans reading this, what's your take on your defense? Seems like there was some turmoil with Brooks, and Bowman still sitting. Aldon is back and always dangerous, but one man does not a team make. Are all the perceived issues just conflated by the media?

The D is fine, had problems Aldon's first game back, seems to be mostly hurt egos. Seems like they worked it out and had nice rotation against the skins. I see our D only getting better.

Ya...

...and as for Bowman, at this point I'd be really surprised if he played at all this year.

Aldon coming back has been huge. Its not just HIS pass rush, but the way the O-Line accounts for him that opens opportunities for everyone else. Aaron Lynch is also coming into his own. He's got 4 sacks in the last 5 games and is tied for the rookie lead with Barr.

Over the season they had pressured the QB on average on about 20% of drop backs. In the last 2 weeks (since Aldon has returned) they've applied pressure on over 50% of drop backs. Now some of that can be attributed to bad O-Lines and Manning and RGIII, but they have had a much better pass rush over the past 2 weeks than at any point this season.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ BTW, just saw your "thoughts" thread. 100% agreed on your Kap rant. :th2thumbs:

frosted21

Reaction score
pehawk":32przge5 said:
One of my closest friends got heavily involved into power lifting and through him I became friends with a lot of power lifters and meatheads. One thing that always struck me was the disdain the true “lifters” had for bodybuilders. Bodybuilders being the type who tanned and shaved their chest. Bodybuilders weren’t just annoyance to them, they we’re phony douchebags creeping out others at the gym. I recall countless times where one of my friends would verbally emasculate a bodybuilder type in front of others. They went out of their way to berate and humiliate these guys.

At first I was shocked by the behavior. When I looked at the bodybuilders, I saw huge dudes that it’d seem wise to steer clear of. But, none of my friends ever thought twice about it. They showed me those dudes are fake tough guys and nothing to be fearful of (if it ever came down to a physical confrontation). I learned they’re bulk is just a façade, it’s all fluff, for show, it doesn’t equate to real strength.

And, that’s the analogy I think best describes the 49ers; phony tough guys. The 49ers are the smooth, tan, body builder types (hot though) that are all façade. And the Seahawks are the dudes who just want to get stronger and resent the posery of the 49ers. On the surface the 49ers are just as “Faster, Bigger, Stronger” as the Seahawks…but they aren’t when it comes down to it, huh?

Interesting analogy. I tend to look it at more as the 49ers as the 'power lifter', while the Seahawks are the 'olympic lifter'.

This game will either be a close Seahawk win, a close 49er win, or a Seahawks blowout win. I realize that's not exactly a bold prediction, but I am almost certain there won't be a 49er win in blowout fashion. Anything else could conceivably happen, IMO.

Giedi

Reaction score
NorCal":qabqsdnd said:
I agree with Hass. I've always thought that these games are largely determined on who runs the ball the most effectively. But with both teams having schizoprenic OCs, who knows what we see. As for the 9ers offense, I wonder if they will let Kap run this game. It has been clear to me that they have drilled into him to keep his eyes downfield and not just to take off. Maybe this is the game he just goes for it early with this legs (kind of like in the NFCCG). V. Davis has been a shell of himself, so it may come down to Boldin and S. Johnson as the WRs who need to come through with a couple of plays.

I also am interested in the Borland v. Lynch matchup. Hopefully its not just those two the whole game as that will mean the 9ers' D line is not getting off blocks. I hope Dorsey can play this week. Outside of the run game, the key for the 9ers will be to get pressure but not break contain. Easier said then done with Wilson. I do expect Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch to get some good pressure from the outside, but can't let Wilson escape too often. The 9ers secondary has played very well this year. The biggest surprise is Perrish Cox. He has played much much better than I expected. Bethea has been a coup as well. I think they match up well with SEA WRs. But a DB can only stay with a WR for so long, which is where that containment of Wilson comes into play.

Should be a fun and terribly nervous game to watch. I expect it to be low scoring and close. Whichever team loses this game has to run the table I think.
I'm pretty sure Dorsey won't be playing on Thursday.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SonicHawk":159z4wfy said:
SF49r":159z4wfy said:
I want to see Borland vs Lynch

You want Borland to be out for the rest of the year?
This. All these niners fans talking about how great Borland is. He has a great nose for the ball and great instincts, but that's it. He is slow and small, and he will be run overby Lynch. If he can impede him long enough to get help, then he will have done the best he can.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3uts1ln7 said:
I like a few legit tough guys on that team, like Boldin. But Crabs, and Vernon? With their season in the balance last year, they shortarmed passes because they didn't want to get hit. Which had to make Boldin cry like a Native that just saw littering.

Not to get this off track, but on some reservations, Natives are the worst litterers imaginable.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":19w1sf9g said:
Scottemojo":19w1sf9g said:
I like a few legit tough guys on that team, like Boldin. But Crabs, and Vernon? With their season in the balance last year, they shortarmed passes because they didn't want to get hit. Which had to make Boldin cry like a Native that just saw littering.

Not to get this off track, but on some reservations, Natives are the worst litterers imaginable.
Oh so true.

The Navajo Rez looks like Mexico. Some of the rezzes in SD are terrible too.
I take it you are near a Rez?

Largent80

Reaction score
Ever been to Myanmar?...If not, then if seeing trash next to everything is your idea of a perfect travel destination hit Expedia.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scottemojo":14at2bxr said:
MontanaHawk05":14at2bxr said:
Scottemojo":14at2bxr said:

Oh so true.

Lived and worked on two different ones over the past four years. Blackfeet and Flathead. Could hardly be more different.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
MontanaHawk05":zkxcbzml said:
Scottemojo":zkxcbzml said:

I Wonder how that happened...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2o0c9jep said:
The 49ers are down Bowman and Willis, but have Aldon back now and Chris Borland is Zach Thomas 2.0 (If you're not old enough to remember how good Zach Thomas was in his prime.. just understand that he was a monster)

Offensively, the 49ers rival us in that their offensive coordinator could be hit by a bus today and most of the fan base would be optimistic. Greg Roman has been mind numbingly bad at play-calling for large aspects of the game (see Bevell, Darrell) .. and at the crux of it, they are at their best when Roman remembers to run the offense through Frank Gore and Carlos Hyde.

(Sound familiar?)

Their secondary is still vulnerable, but Bethea is a major improvement over Whitner in coverage. Reid is still a fantastic safety. Their corners however are very average.. Culliver/Brock/Cox (WT3's replacement for a few weeks last year) are all capable of being beat.. even by these WR's.

IMO - the team that runs the ball better than the other will win this game. Frank Gore has always been a thorn in our ass.. and that's not changing Thursday. If we stop Gore and run the ball well, we win.

I don't like our lake of familiarity with Hyde. He could end up being a wild card.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":16otjcnr said:
MontanaHawk05":16otjcnr said:
Scottemojo":16otjcnr said:

Oh so true.

Now that we're hijacking, the Navajo rez made me sad, once we got closer to town.

A few misconceptions:

We've had Gore's number the last few games. In the other game, he sealed the deal with his one good run, but outside of that he had 30 something ish yards all game. Even with Mebane out, we should stifle their run.

Kap seems to be going through his progressions better. Boldin is still a monster, but Sherm has his number and he doesn't overpower Maxwell either. Maxwell plays Crabtree to a draw, and V. Davis seems to be regressing. I see us neutralizing their passing offense to a good degree.

On our side, I think we'll run the ball well against their banged up DLine, while their (surprisingly) good secondary will mostly neutralize our passing game (not hard). Baldwin usually seems to have a good game against the Niners and I hope this continues. If we get LJP back this game, our run game might just carry us.

Overall, I see more matchups in our favor than theirs. We typically don't play well enough to win down there, but their new field doesn't seem to have broken in the homefield advantage yet. I see us winning a squeaker.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1m02zzv5 said:
Scottemojo":1m02zzv5 said:
MontanaHawk05":1m02zzv5 said:
Scottemojo":1m02zzv5 said:

Oh so true.

Lived and worked on two different ones over the past four years. Blackfeet and Flathead. Could hardly be more different.
My experience too. Winnebago and Yankton Sioux are pretty cool. Pine Ridge, Rosebud, and Fort Thompson in SD are some of the most depressed places in America.

Canuck49

Reaction score
Question for you Seahawks fans -- Most of this thread has focused on stuffing the niners run game and handling the 2 WR one TE offensive set. At times this year Roman has dialled up 3 and 4 wide sets. How do you think you match up with a single back offence and Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson and Lloyd in formation?

I agree with the earlier poster who said the niners may go to the air to win. I think that was the whole point of the roster reconstruction in the offseason. We can't bully a tough team like Seattle in the run game. So spread them out and look for the favourable matchup.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Hawks46":1c9zy7qn said:
Scottemojo":1c9zy7qn said:
MontanaHawk05":1c9zy7qn said:
Scottemojo":1c9zy7qn said:

Oh so true.

Now that we're hijacking, the Navajo rez made me sad, once we got closer to town.

A few misconceptions:

We've had Gore's number the last few games. In the other game, he sealed the deal with his one good run, but outside of that he had 30 something ish yards all game. Even with Mebane out, we should stifle their run.

Kap seems to be going through his progressions better. Boldin is still a monster, but Sherm has his number and he doesn't overpower Maxwell either. Maxwell plays Crabtree to a draw, and V. Davis seems to be regressing. I see us neutralizing their passing offense to a good degree.

On our side, I think we'll run the ball well against their banged up DLine, while their (surprisingly) good secondary will mostly neutralize our passing game (not hard). Baldwin usually seems to have a good game against the Niners and I hope this continues. If we get LJP back this game, our run game might just carry us.

Overall, I see more matchups in our favor than theirs. We typically don't play well enough to win down there, but their new field doesn't seem to have broken in the homefield advantage yet. I see us winning a squeaker.

^^^ yes this is how I see it. However, I think our pass rush will have success against Martin. But on the flipside I think Aldon Smith will give us fits too. Means it will come down to the running game. Need to control the ball and keep Captain Kraphispants off the field.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Canuck49":3otmq6fv said:
Question for you Seahawks fans -- Most of this thread has focused on stuffing the niners run game and handling the 2 WR one TE offensive set. At times this year Roman has dialled up 3 and 4 wide sets. How do you think you match up with a single back offence and Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson and Lloyd in formation?

I agree with the earlier poster who said the niners may go to the air to win. I think that was the whole point of the roster reconstruction in the offseason. We can't bully a tough team like Seattle in the run game. So spread them out and look for the favourable matchup.

The secondary is our strength on D. And with your QB locking in usually on his first read I would look forward to this type of game plan. Putting the game in his hands probably wouldnt be the best game plan. If we take away his first option he will look to get out of the pocket ASAP. In the NFCCG remember he turned the ball over all 3 times in your 3 final possessions. He isn't known for stepping up against the Seahawks. He is 1-3 with 7 turnovers and 3 TDs against the Hawks. The one game he beat us in we were up until Gore gashed us for a huge gain very late in the game that setup the go ahead score. Best attack plan for you guys is balance on offense.

Canuck49

Reaction score
I'd prefer to see balance too. But the play calls often seem to get away from that. Lloyd and Johnson are much better than our 3-4 options last year at WR and you have lost WT3. So I'm wondering if there is a matchup to exploit there is all. Can your number 3 or 4 corner matchup well with Johnson for example?

Latest posts